gerhard

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Dear Sir

I am from South Africa, and would like to ask if u could possibly help me.

I purchased a 900 Atholn Thunderbird wigth a GA -7ixe4 motherboard that has got a Amd 750 chipset(Irongate).

I know that u might not even review Gigabyte motherboards simply because I would agree with you that they r a whole lot of [-peep-].

But as I am in South Africa this is almost the best I could find except for ddr which i dont wanna use.

I have 128 meg twinmos ram on board and a S3 savage4 Pro agp card from power colour(also shitty, dunno if ive got the right drivers)

I have put fans on everything in this machine(about 8 of them). My cpu is running constantly on a temp of 41 degrees celcius.

I have sanded down evrything, especially the savage of which the chip and the heatsink was hollow.
My operating system is Windows 2000 pro.

I get exellent gaming(maybe I can get better from u) from Sports car GT and Flight sim 2000 pro. My quake 3 starts up but then freezes the whole machine up.

I have downloaded and loaded the newest drivers for my motherboard for win2k from amd. Also a gainward driver for the s3 savage 4. THis is the only site where i can get a win2k driver for s3. As for the s3 site, to me it does not exist, Evrytime i wanna connect to it, explorer says that it doesnt exist.

All other games like quake2 and need for speed doesnt even, want to install to my win2k environment.

Can u help with all the right drivers, or with sites with the right drivers.

EG: and i havent even started to overclock yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Gerhard

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Just to let you know, this forum is for enthusiasts and gamers and I don't think Tom actually reads the posts (but I may be wrong). Anyway, your problem sounds kinds strange. You said you downloaded the newest mobo drivers from AMD, did these include the agpport minidriver too? The best way to make sure you get evrything is with their driverpack. If you've done this, could you possibly load another OS (win98 maybe) and see how that runs. I'm not sure about win2000 but NT lets you load another OS and choose which one you wnat to load at bootup. Let me know what you think...also give me all your system specs in a list format.

No man stands so tall, as when he stoops to tweak his rig.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Windows 2000 has all the necessary drivers to run your motherboard. You will only need to install drivers for your add on components, video card, sound card, etc.

-- Chaos is the better order.

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Oh, I forgot, download the latest 2000 patch, and upgrade to directx 8. Also, windows 2000 is a lousy gaming platform, why don't you just use windows ME?

-- Chaos is the better order.