michel

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Hello,

I had to replace my 22" crt screen with a 19"tft screen and now Morrowind is
unplayable. Objects keep disappearing and reappearing, sometimes walls turn
into a solid color plane. And this keeps happening rather quick.
My videoboard is a GeForce4 4200ti. And tft monitor is hooked up to the DVI
connector (when hooked up to the vga the problem is there too). My monitor
is a iiyama ProLite E81S. Refreshrate 75 herz.
Has Morrowind got problems with tft screens?? If so, is there is a solution?

Thanx in advance,

Michel

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> Has Morrowind got problems with tft screens?? If so, is there is a
solution?

It is not possible your problems are related to the change of monitor, the
game has no way of knowing it is running on a TFT screen, nor do TFT screens
function in a fundamentally different manner compared to regular CRT
screens, seen from the software's point of view.

Check that your graphics card is still recognized correctly and such related
things. Nothing regarding this should have changed when you switched
monitors, but one never knows with windows...

Michel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had to replace my 22" crt screen with a 19"tft screen and now Morrowind is
> unplayable. Objects keep disappearing and reappearing, sometimes walls turn
> into a solid color plane. And this keeps happening rather quick.
> My videoboard is a GeForce4 4200ti. And tft monitor is hooked up to the DVI
> connector (when hooked up to the vga the problem is there too). My monitor
> is a iiyama ProLite E81S. Refreshrate 75 herz.
> Has Morrowind got problems with tft screens?? If so, is there is a solution?
>
> Thanx in advance,
>
> Michel

That looks a little fast for most TFT screens. Drop back to 60hz or so
and see what that does. Most current TFT's run about 60hz.

CH

seraphim

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

"Michel" <reply@group> wrote in

> I had to replace my 22" crt screen with a 19"tft screen and now
> Morrowind is unplayable. Objects keep disappearing and reappearing,
> sometimes walls turn into a solid color plane. And this keeps
> happening rather quick.

This sounds like a video card problem, not a monitor problem.

You mentioned in another post that you added a 2nd card, you might want
to make sure that your AGP is still seated in the slot properly. AGP
cards have a very annoying tendency to not sit properly in their slots.
You also might check to see if your card is getting to hot, when you
added the 2nd card you may have messed up the airflow in your case.

michel

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Firstly, thanx for your reply.
I tried switching back to 60 herz. But the problem persists. I forgot to
mention that I also added, albeit later, a second (pci) Geforce4 mx graphics
board (for my 2nd monitor)... Maybe the conflict lies there. Or... maybe my
agp card is on the fritz...
Will try to eliminate that problem.

Thanx again

"Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Michel wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I had to replace my 22" crt screen with a 19"tft screen and now
Morrowind is
> > unplayable. Objects keep disappearing and reappearing, sometimes walls
turn
> > into a solid color plane. And this keeps happening rather quick.
> > My videoboard is a GeForce4 4200ti. And tft monitor is hooked up to the
DVI
> > connector (when hooked up to the vga the problem is there too). My
monitor
> > is a iiyama ProLite E81S. Refreshrate 75 herz.
> > Has Morrowind got problems with tft screens?? If so, is there is a
solution?

> > Thanx in advance,
> >
> > Michel
> >

> That looks a little fast for most TFT screens. Drop back to 60hz or so
> and see what that does. Most current TFT's run about 60hz.
>
> CH

michel

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

thanx for ur response...

The pci card has been placed well away from the agp slot.... so, i don't
think it is overheating. I installed Halo and had no problems playing it. So
I don't think it is a hardware problem.
The 'flickering' in Morrowind starts as soon as I open a menu, either the
option menu, or the items etc.
It is as if... the overlay of one layer on the other is messed up.
Tried a reinstall of Morrowind, but to no avail.
The only game playing again and again and now this :-(

Michel

Michel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had to replace my 22" crt screen with a 19"tft screen and now
> Morrowind is unplayable. Objects keep disappearing and reappearing,
> sometimes walls turn into a solid color plane. And this keeps
> happening rather quick.
> My videoboard is a GeForce4 4200ti. And tft monitor is hooked up to
> the DVI connector (when hooked up to the vga the problem is there
> too). My monitor is a iiyama ProLite E81S. Refreshrate 75 herz.
> Has Morrowind got problems with tft screens?? If so, is there is a
> solution?
>
> Thanx in advance,
>
> Michel

No, Morrowind seems to like my Envision 19" TFT on DVI quite a lot. My
video card is Radeon 9800 Pro-128meg. I also used an FX5900 with the
Envision for a while. No problems with either video card and this TFT.
McG.

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

> That looks a little fast for most TFT screens. Drop back to 60hz or so
> and see what that does. Most current TFT's run about 60hz.

75Hz is okay for TFTs too, it's a common misconception they only handle
60Hz. Like any other monitor, they will run fine as long as the current
resolution does not use more video bandwidth than the monitor and/or DVI
link supports.

One thing that may change though is the screen image might actually become
BLURRIER at higher refresh rates. As TFTs switch more slowly between black
and white, the more frequently the screen updates the more often a pixel has
the chance of switching state as well, hence creating blur. It wasn't a
problem though when I used a flatscreen model (Dell 1702FP), I saw
absolutely ZERO difference between 60 and 75Hz. I'm just describing a
theoretical scenario... Also, today's TFTs typically switch faster than the
3-year-old model I had.

Lenny wrote:
>>That looks a little fast for most TFT screens. Drop back to 60hz or so
>>and see what that does. Most current TFT's run about 60hz.
>

> 75Hz is okay for TFTs too, it's a common misconception they only handle
> 60Hz. Like any other monitor, they will run fine as long as the current
> resolution does not use more video bandwidth than the monitor and/or DVI
> link supports.
>
> One thing that may change though is the screen image might actually become
> BLURRIER at higher refresh rates. As TFTs switch more slowly between black
> and white, the more frequently the screen updates the more often a pixel has
> the chance of switching state as well, hence creating blur. It wasn't a
> problem though when I used a flatscreen model (Dell 1702FP), I saw
> absolutely ZERO difference between 60 and 75Hz. I'm just describing a
> theoretical scenario... Also, today's TFTs typically switch faster than the
> 3-year-old model I had.

Here at work, most of our flats run around 60mhz. I've only just started
seeing faster ones. So, less misconception and more last years paradigmn. :)

Now that I've thought about this some more, it sounds like a driver
issues. Objects appearing/disappearing means that the problem is
happening at the render level.

CH

TRENDING THREADS