Sign in with
Your question

BF1942 and FLYING!!

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2003 10:10:13 PM

how do you guys FLY! the controls are impossible. EA recommends no joystick (hehe i said joy-stick) but i find it impossible

i can PWN anyone with a tank or medic automatic, but my god im useless in a plane. Desert Combat mod is worse

HOW DO YOU DO IT!?!?!!11111oneoneone!!!

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

More about : bf1942 flying

June 16, 2003 12:58:20 AM

I use the Num Pad on the keyboard.8=foward,7=pitch up,9=pitch down,5=backwards.With a Logitech optical mouse.Takes a little getting use to,But works pretty good for me.
June 16, 2003 11:56:49 AM

Lots of practice. If you think the planes are bad try the helicopters in Desert Combat.

We have had the desert combat for about 3 wweks now and my son is just now starting to master the helicoptor.I'm still working on it.But it is a concentrated 2 handed effort.

The dynamics of the planes are very similar to how they would actually fly.Not an arcade type control,where it will fly reguardless of your flying abilities.

I aint signing nothing!!!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 16, 2003 5:48:30 PM

I use a joystick.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:
June 17, 2003 1:41:28 AM

Could you explain the helicopter controls to me?

I always finish upside down. (Just like real life. LOL!)

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
June 17, 2003 1:58:21 AM

All the 1337 flyers use a joystick, it's the only way!
June 17, 2003 1:58:36 AM

I use the mouse and keyboard but it's tricky. The mouse controls the attitude of the plane up, down, bank left, bank right but the trottle is the worst part. It's either full on or full off which makes it hard to slow down to turn. Slowing down is necessary to make tight turns.

I just release the throttle (the "W" key) and make my turn. Occasionally I have to tap the throttle to keep the plane from stalling.

Flying is easy. The tricky part is hitting anything.

It helps to you use the full size map in transparent mode so that you can line up a run.

It also helps to make the cockpit invible (F9) that way you can see more.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
June 20, 2003 1:50:44 AM

I use the mouse, and left/right keys for rudder, just make sure the mouse does not fly off the table, and invert the vertical axis.

Hint: just dont move too much as real planes like the computer generated one will fall out of the sky. This is what the Stuka was "a big heavy lump of steel", real fast in a dive.
June 20, 2003 3:12:11 AM

what i wish, is that the mouse hada center to return to.

as it is now, to keep turning you have to keep moving the mouse, lifting it and returning it to the middle of the mouse pad, and then repeating

if you could move the mouse slightly to the left and hold it there to bank left slightly i think it would be much better. and to bank harder, the mouse slighly more and hold it there. same as pitching up and down. ive played flight sims liek this before and it works suprisingly well.

its much easier this way than continually sliding your mouse

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>
June 20, 2003 3:16:50 AM

also if the throttle had *adjustments* instead of just off or on.

i think the planes lack alot in BF1942. these simple improvments would require no changes to the engine at all

-------

June 20, 2003 3:35:42 AM

That mouse problem you describe I used to have on rudder which is on the tail fin trailing edge, I like to fly flat using horizon. Sounds like the server is not responding on your wing flaps.

Could be a problem with the null on your mouse resetting, you could lower the sensitivity of the mouse, you will lose the pull-up/down sampling as well, if its on the same setting as mine. I've done similiar on rudder, but not on mouse.
June 20, 2003 5:13:53 AM

so you saying that IS how the mouse is supposed to work? theres a "dead zone" that you return to like on a joystick to stop banking or pitchin? if thats true then flying would be amazing !!! just my mouse doesnt work like that
maybe i should explain it better. the server is registering my mouse movements fine.

say i want to slowly climb. in real life you would have to raise the nose just slightly and keep it there. for me i have to pull the mouse back slowly and keep sliding it to maintain the angle of the nose. as soon as i stop sliding the mouse, the nose drops again . in order to keep the nose up, i have to continually slide back. this is annoying because my mouse pad is only so big.

teh way i would like it, to get the nose up all you would have to do is pull the mouse back slightly and hold it there (back from teh center where the mouse was originally. if i wanted to stop climbing i would just return the mouse to center position.)

could you explain how you fixed it? your rudder problem? the mouse works great for everything else in teh game except flying

-------

June 20, 2003 7:03:45 AM

Its a useless game engine for flaps I agree I even got it wrong. Joystick is the go but mouse and keyboard is still more convenient.

I think its a bug but you might have to use keyboard which is permanently on/off, I dunno which is worst keyboard or mouse.

Sorry I didnt fix it, I got the mouse sensitivity flat out and it still does the bad thing.
June 20, 2003 7:42:16 AM

I use the mouse/keyboard myself. You won't find a bigger flight sim fan than me, and I love the joystick. It's just a pain to switch between the two when you're constantly bailng out of a plane to kill a nazi :p 

It's all good ^_^
August 2, 2003 3:32:26 AM

If ya still flying with bf1942 phial, with much more playing game I found some flaws with the method I was on, this may help.

Quote:
say i want to slowly climb. in real life you would have to raise the nose just slightly and keep it there. for me i have to pull the mouse back slowly and keep sliding it to maintain the angle of the nose. as soon as i stop sliding the mouse, the nose drops again . in order to keep the nose up, i have to continually slide back. this is annoying because my mouse pad is only so big.

If you pull up too much and hold the plane stalls and requires the nose to fall, so...

- pull up with mouse and push back within the climb rate, judge with horizon and point to the highest position on horizon, without lifting mouse, this is the maximum rate of climb. Cruise first because you need speed to point nose upwards.

Quote:
i would like it, to get the nose up all you would have to do is pull the mouse back slightly and hold it there (back from teh center where the mouse was originally. if i wanted to stop climbing i would just return the mouse to center position

- see above, if the plane speed is quick enough and you move mouse within the climb rate you can the the thing to hold on centre, I was stalling all the time and the game was recentering at max climb rate which after stalling is downwards toward ground and to push avoids the games auto pilot which seems to recover the stall slightly by removing the mouse centre, still a problem but game maker could allow the thing to go into an uncontrollable spin.

It works real good now, been practicing with Coral sea, I am a top notch ace now, just with cannons and mouse now stays out of stall speed, however lifting mouse beats flying into ground which is always looming on horizon.

Now you ever heard of "Red out" which is where you push down and the blood rushes too head and you go blind, nice maker should include this in future model, nice to see some realistic effects though.
August 3, 2003 3:24:41 AM

cool ill try your suddgestions

and yes ive heard of "black"outs and "red"outs =). i had an old combat flight sim that did that, it was awesome

thanks man =D

-------

no siggy applicable
Anonymous
August 4, 2003 3:43:22 PM

I have problems driving the landing boats, controls are un-reasponsive and I sometimes clip into the side of the boat while trying to use it.

BF1942 is a great game, but even with the 1.4 patch, the bugs are terrible. Does anyone own the expansion? I heard it improves a lot, especially the bot AI.

<font color=red>The difficult thing about doing nothing, is that you never know when you're done. </font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.tylersite.8k.com/photo.html " target="_new">http://www.tylersite.8k.com/photo.html </A>
!