Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 upgrade. Install on different computer?

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2009 11:35:18 PM

my new netbook is eligible for the windows 7 upgrade. However it doesn't have an optical drive and my larger vista laptop has been having some problems. can I order the 7 upgrade for my netbook and then just install it on my other laptop?
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2009 4:20:44 AM

It depends if they send you an OEM version of W7, i.e. whatever brand the netbook is. If it's an OEM version and your laptop is of a different bran, it may not work. If it's a retail version, it will work.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2009 8:02:42 PM

Yes there is a way round. If you have a windows CD for your netbook then installing the upgrade Windws 7 edition shouldnt be a problem.

Format the HDD in your laptop then boot up using the Windows 7 DVD and then when prompted by Windows 7 inser the old OS disc. This is all that is required because MS are only going to check that you have a valid Windows CD (XP or Vista)
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2009 1:32:33 AM

ulysses35 said:
Format the HDD in your laptop then boot up using the Windows 7 DVD and then when prompted by Windows 7 inser the old OS disc. This is all that is required because MS are only going to check that you have a valid Windows CD (XP or Vista)

Won't that disk have to be a non OEM copy or is Win7 different in this respect ? Not that I know from experience but remember reading, and posting the link here this weekend, that w/ XP, OEM copies wouldn't work. Since upgrades are always more expensive then another OEM, I just always went that way.
m
l
Related resources
!