Windows 7 upgrade. Install on different computer?

my new netbook is eligible for the windows 7 upgrade. However it doesn't have an optical drive and my larger vista laptop has been having some problems. can I order the 7 upgrade for my netbook and then just install it on my other laptop?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade install computer
  1. It depends if they send you an OEM version of W7, i.e. whatever brand the netbook is. If it's an OEM version and your laptop is of a different bran, it may not work. If it's a retail version, it will work.
  2. Yes there is a way round. If you have a windows CD for your netbook then installing the upgrade Windws 7 edition shouldnt be a problem.

Format the HDD in your laptop then boot up using the Windows 7 DVD and then when prompted by Windows 7 inser the old OS disc. This is all that is required because MS are only going to check that you have a valid Windows CD (XP or Vista)
  3. ulysses35 said:
    Format the HDD in your laptop then boot up using the Windows 7 DVD and then when prompted by Windows 7 inser the old OS disc. This is all that is required because MS are only going to check that you have a valid Windows CD (XP or Vista)

Won't that disk have to be a non OEM copy or is Win7 different in this respect ? Not that I know from experience but remember reading, and posting the link here this weekend, that w/ XP, OEM copies wouldn't work. Since upgrades are always more expensive then another OEM, I just always went that way.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 7 Computers Netbooks