The true cost of a Chevy Volt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys. We still have ~35 years until global reserves of oil are gone. ither switch to natural gas, advance research in nanotech energy, or let the government continue their green energy policies.

787? 50 years?

Boeing is scratching the 7x7 aircraft line here in the next 5 years. 78x was the last of the 7x7 series.

And, just because Boeing is anticipating oil to last for more than 50 years, does not make them experts on reserve limits...nor does it mean I am one as well. 35 years is what I have reported by information on Google.

Then we have Mr B.O. stopping the Keystone pipeline.
Hes promised to shut down and bankrupt coal, so be sure to repeat his words directly/correctly.
He claims none of this will help.
He claims raising taxes wont hurt the economy, yet insists and blames republicans for not giving in on the 2 month only extension of the tax break, and how bad higher taxes will be on people, and finds it political to go the republican route of making those tax breaks a year long extension, insisting on 2 months instead.
I wonder, if the economy does well, will he then want to eliminate those tax breaks, and is why he doesnt want the full year?
Too much power, not enough power, and what we need is a flip

My point was why would Boeing continue with a program that uses fossil fuels? I know why! Because...that is the only tech available. Yellowstone is the successor to 7x7.

What I am trying to get at is, I understand that we have no technology in advanced power, but why does the Volt need to be the only thing we discuss?

I want to talk about Thermonuclear Fusion Baby!

_

How are you dense? Sorry, that is why I hate AS sometimes. Can't seem to read people.

A school I am planning on attending is researching biofuel. Hopefully, they have come up with a fossil fuel alternative hypothesis. :bounce:

Maybe we should live close to work and ride the pushbike around?

I have a moped and I could work from home mostly ...

I'd still like a chevy Volt ... I quite liked my Prius I had for two years.

Great on fuel ... bit of a worry when the batteries start to go on it though.

Wonder how much it cost to develop the Prius or the Civil hybrid?

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

An American engineer named H. Piper filed a patent for a petrol-electric hybrid vehicle. His idea was to use an electric motor to assist an internal-combustion engine, enabling it to achieve 25 mph.
U.S. Congress introduced first bills recommending use of electric vehicles as a means of reducing air pollution.
As part of the Federal Clean Car Incentive Program, engineers Victor Wouk and Charlie Rosen created a prototype hybrid gas-electric vehicle using a Buick Skylark body. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency tested the vehicle, certified that it met the strict guidelines for an EPA clean-air auto program — and rejected it out of hand.
U.S. Congress enacted Public Law 94-413, the Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Research, Development, and Demonstration Act of 1976. Among the law’s objectives were to work with industry to improve batteries, motors, controllers, and other hybrid-electric components.
The United States Advanced Battery Consortium (USABC), a Department of Energy program, launched a major program to produce a “super” battery to get viable electric vehicles on the road as soon as possible. The USABC would go on to invest more than $90 million in the nickel hydride (NiMH) battery. The NiMH battery can accept three times as many charge cycles as lead-acid, and can work better in cold weather.
http://www.hybridcars.com/history/history-of-hybrid-vehicles.html
seems the government did have a hand in the hybrid car business. but not as much $$ to develop them.
I do believe that the Volt is a step in the right direction but they should have waited until they could develop one with a better range. not to mention they could not even make one that was fully electric. :??:

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

We still have non-conventional fossil fuels.

Extract them with techniques like fracking, destroy our farming water tables along the way.

And those fuel deposits in Iceland and Antarctica. Then we can have BP 2.0.

We discussed fraking before and with good gobt oversight and controls I am for it.

The lease should extend to cleaning up the site after - govt should levy money from the lease via taz to ensure it is done if the company goes bust in the meantime.

Hydrofracking is safe to me as well. However, do not attempt it with Natural Gas though. :D

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

Then what would they base it on? This is a red herring entirely here bud. You can't magically use a fuel that doesn't exist yet, you can only design around the limitations you currently have an hope for the best. They need super high energy outputs, and the only way outside of oil based fuel is nuclear.

Another common misconception of ethanol is that it will come entirely from corn, which is propaganda. Right now we have biological organisms that can break down car tires and in turn generate economical amounts of ethanol. This has been around for a few years now and I remember first reading about it in an Engineering magazine probably 4 years ago.

Found the company who's doing it: Coskata

Not to mention that the real buzz isn't ethanol or natural gas, it's hydrogen. But everyone is afraid of fuel cells catching fire and blowing up a city block with a single car fire - I think we are smarter than that, but I think it's the fact that hydrogen is so readily abundant (h2o) that there will be to many companies who will be able to commoditize it and there won't be an oligopoly over the market like there is no with crude.

Yeah, everything still points to corporate irresponsibility on that front. I'm going to continue waving my anti-American company flags if they continue to pursue profit while pillaging our countrysides.

Ars Technica: How the EPA linked "fracking" to contaminated well water 12-09-11 - This article was just published...

That's a great thought, but it's not happening, yet.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

And IIRC, the commercial farm lobbies have a heavy hand in that. These aren't your mom & pop operations that have been "in the family for 100 years," these are commercial farm operations that monocrop for profit stripping vast amounts of resources from the soil.

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

Wow, again I agree! CHEERS! :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.