My problems continue...any ideas?

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Here is a summary of my problems today:
Win XP Pro was acting unstable so I tried a repair. The repair wouldn’t run without the "sub-component COM+ raised an exception while processing....". message. I eventually took the main hd out and slaved it to my main pc so I could save the important data. While I did this I ran a WD diagnostic on the drive to see if it was ok and it checked out good.
On my next attempt at installing the os, I got a “low on virtual memory” error and again the install became unstable. I took out one of the 256 mb memory sticks
and went to the store and bought new RAM as the disk was formatting. This time the install completed and all seemed to be fine. I added the new RAM and the pc snapped into action. I installed a few programs and ran into an occasional “installer error” but otherwise it was ok. When I got to installing my wireless USB network adapter the system got unstable again.
I once again went back to scratch and installed, this time with everything but essential peripherals connected. I remembered that during the last installation, plug and play did not install my soundcard so I thought that maybe this bugginess was related to that.
This time almost all the way through the install I got this error:
” ntfs.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area…”
It seems that I get some sort of blue screen no matter what.
I pretty much out of ideas and I’d appreciate any insight.
Thanks
Gary

dhlucke

Polypheme
Components? Temperatures?

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

gymscat

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
It's approx. 3 years old, K7T266 Pro 2 mobo, 512 DDR PC2700 RAM, Ati 9600 Pro video, WD 80G Hd. I haven't checked the temps, etc are as follows:
CPU 53C / 127F , System Temp 37C, CPU Fan speed 4963, System Fan Speed 3970, Power Fan speed 0.
What do you think of that Power fan speed??

G.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
What CPU? For that old of a system that seems sort of high, unless it is a Tbird.
The PSU fan speed is 0 either because your psu doesn't have an rpm sensor, it has one and you didn't plug it into the motherboard or the rpm is to low for the motherboard to read (That is normal, don't worry about it). You might as well check to see if the fan IS spinning just to make sure :)
Having any sort of dust buildup problem? Make sure that thing is cleaned out.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

With XP or 2K you need to disable Plug and Play in the CMOS Setup, however that probably isn't your problem, check the tops of your M/B capacitors and see if they are all flat topped or bulging, if they are OK they will all be perfectly flat on top, if you find any of them bulging on the top, you may as well replace the M/B. If you inspect the M/B and discover they are all flat on top, post your findings.

riser

Illustrious
The KT266 MB didn't have the problem with the caps.
The MB mostly effected by that were the Abit's SH6, BE6, BE6-IIs, and a few other varients.
A little research on the problem found that the caps used on these boards (and other electronics about the same time) was a stolen incomplete design for the cap that another company started to produce. The design wasn't complete/flawed and thus the problems appeared. So why were they so heavily used around that time? With the design not complete, they were really cheap to produce so a lot were purchased thinking they were getting a deal.

I had Abit replace over 100 MBs under warranty because of this problem. Originally thought it was because the FSB was running at 133MHz when the board said it would safely support 100MHz.

Again, my information was of no use but enlightening in the least.

Riser

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Could be your PSU is on the fritz. Or some of your components are going bonkers.

Had a computer one time where all components checked out except for the CD-ROM and when it was connected the damn thing wouldn't boot. It wouldn't even initialize. That drove me nuts!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>