MSI K7T Turbo-R???

G

Okay, I'm getting ready to build a new system, here's what I'm putting in it:

Motherboard
MSI K7T TURBO-R Socket A VIA KT 133A Chipset - Retail 4XAGP 6PCI 1CNR 3DIMM UDMA100 RAID No CPU w/ Built In Raid Support $ 112

CPU
AMD 1.2GHz Athlon (TBird) Socket- A (266Mhz FSB) $147

Memory x2
256MB PC133 SDRAM DIMM (CAS 2 / CL 2) 7ns, Gold Leads, Unbuffered, 32x64 EPROM/SPD LIFETIME WAR, CAS2 / CL2, 168pins, 3.3v, 6 layer, True PC 133 *GUARANTEED compatible w/ ALL Athlon+ Intel Chipsets $69

Video Card
MSI MicroStar MS-8826 nVIDIA GeForce2 MX400 64MB DDR SDRAM with TV Out, Retail Box StarForce 826, M8826, AGP 4X $ 119

CD/RW
Plextor - CD-RW 32X/12X/10X Internal EIDE ATAPI OEM Part $149

Floppy
Teac 1.44MB Flop. 235HF 3.5. $ 11

Hard Drives x2
IBM Deskstar 60GXP, 30GB EIDE Deskstar 60GXP ATA 100 7200RPM $125.00

Now, I've looked at numerous reveiws before deciding on this mobo, but have any of you guys had any experiences with it? The reviews that I looked at were pretty much the same, that it was a good mobo, didn't have any problems, and so on and so forth. I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in Advance,
Kristy :smile:

<Common Sense is a gift that some of us have returned.>

G

ive built two systems using the k7t-turbo recently and really loved them both. stable, inexpensive, support of the 266 FSB, etc. i dont have the MB w/ RAID support, so cant say as to the value or reliability of this feature. Honestly, i can highly recommend this board, and im a power user.....stress my systems right out, so you know i've worked these babies before delivery. go for it!

G

one other thing: make sure (if possible) to buy high quality RAM as the kt133a is quite finicky about that. the old 440bx chip would run on anything you threw at it, but not so with these via chips. stay with name brand memory! Believe me, it will be worth the xtra cash.

G

From your using the board, what memory would you recommend? I really don't know about memory, as far as brand names go or anything.

Thanks for your help!
Kristy :smile:

G

I'll go check out the prices on pricewatch for those 2 and decide on there. Do you think I would have problems if I used Micron Electronics? I mean I don't see the difference, unless it's just how it's made, but I just assumed it was pretty much all the same. Well, like pc133 cas2. When I talked to them they said it was compatible with ALL athlon and intel chipsets. Thanks for the heads-up and the advice!

Kristy

G

if you already bought the memory, go ahead and try it out before you buy something else. Micron is also an excellent brand. should be cool.....

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Actually Crucial is a division of Micron. My understanding is that it's the same stuff. Micron doesn't sell directly but Crucial does. You won't find Crucial on Pricewatch. But it's excellent RAM - only thing I use.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Makaveli

Splendid
I have the MSI K7T Turbo R running an 200fsb T-bird @ 266fsb
and it's excellent. I traded in my MSI K7T PRO 2-A another excellent board for it. Stability is top notch. One thing I did notice though was abit of a mulitiplier problem, as in 8x or 8.5 won't work. But i'm also running my CPU overclocked and using the BETA overclocking BIOS. If u don't plan on overclocking, then I don't foresee u having this problem. lol it still worked out to cause I just increase the FSB to 133 and dropped the mulitplier lower : )!

G

i have the same board without raid,same processor,geforce mx,maxtor 30 gig ata100,1 stick 256meg,98se,it's been very stable,no problem with drivers.highly recommend.some sources say windows can actually run slower with that much ram(i posted a ? about that much ram a while back,got some good replies from others)

G

Well, I don't plan on overclocking this machine. But if I ever do decide to then I will remember what you said. Thanks so much for your input.

Kristy

G

win 9x,on this board,supposedly 512 is the most 9x will recognize.microsoft site has an article on this,i don't remember exactly where