Which of these games is the best?

dunnywoods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hello all,
So I ordered Portal 2 last Sunday and it still hasn't come -_- I decided I'd buy a new game today to see me through the weekend. These are the games I have shortened it down to

Braid
Fallout 3
The Witcher
Max Payne 2
Left 4 Dead
Elder Scrolls : Oblivion

Can anyone tell me which of these they prefer and why?
Thanks

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Left 4 Dead 2 (the sequel is much better), = mindless zombie killing fun, no brains needed to play...just remember that FF is always on. Its great to kill time with.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion: I like this game if you want a good story and long game play
The same can be said for Fallout 3. You will need plenty of time to play these games and there is no multi-player
Same as above for the Witcher.

Personally, I like L4D2 because it loads fast, multi-player, low sys requirements, and it's just great to work as a team killing zombies.

grody

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Aw, if you've never played Elder Scrolls : Oblivion you're missing out. The 5th one is coming out in a few months, too.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
All great games, left for dead was two short and repetitive IMO. Haven't plaid braid, max payne, or the witcher. Fallout 3 crashed to much, quit.

I'd have to say oblivion was my favorite, awsome game, didn't finish (short attention span), but lost many hours of my life playing that game.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
That list is hard on that question because you have fps/rpg on one list. I would have to say Fallout 3 by a hair over Oblivian. I thought fallout 3 had more replay value and a better story. LFD had no replay for me so I dont like it much.

abar92

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
max payne 2!!!it is very old and Im playing it now as I don't have any dedicated gfx till today,original L4D is really bad....go for FALLOUT 3.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I forgot to add if your looking at The Witcher then I would suggest beating that game and getting The Witcher 2. One of the few sequels thats picks up right where the first on eleft off, and does it very well.

+1 Playing through the first witcher then getting and playing through the second is fun fun times

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yeah I was really happy when I saw that they picked up where they left of in The Witcher. To many games are great games with a good story they they make #2 and #3 and for some reason they think its a good idea to throw all the old characters and story lines out and start over. For example I wish that FF8 would have found a way to pick up where FF7 left off. They had such a great game with a good story and great game play and the whole matiria system was awsome. They they through that all out and came out with FF8 and that was a shame :( lol.

Fallout 3 gets my vote. A very large world space especially when you install all the DLCs. Lots of mods out there to improve gameplay and adds additional content.

Oblivion is good I suppose, but I got bored with it and never finished it. I like it's predecessor, Morrowind, a lot more. Graphics are worse than Oblivion, but story and gameplay is far superior.

The Witcher has a good storyline, but I'm not really into 3rd person games. Not sure if I will buy Witcher 2, but I will buy Mass Effect 3 when it comes out.

Never played the other games.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

i would say if you didnt like The Witcher then The Witcher 2 will be hard for you to like. They did improve the combat system its not as easy as it was in the first one. And obviously the graphics are much improved. On the first play through I fount it a bit to hard acctuly. But on the second play once you get the controls and all that down it is fun again lol.

If I enjoyed Oblivian would you think I should go backwards and get Morrowind even though the graphics will be weak compared to what im used to now?

Alot of people preferred morrowind to Oblivion. I am not one of those people. Morrowind in my experience was slow, boring, and getting owned by a rat in the first fighters guild mission because i kept missing cause my rusty dagger skills werent high enough - not too much fun. I spent hours to get nothing done when i played it. Oblivion on the other hand, although definitely not perfect especially the combat, was alot of fun for me, and i spent many, many hours playing.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Would you say it is worth the $20 on steam or possibly not?

Like I said, Witcher was good, but I'm not really in to 3rd person games. The only other 3rd person games I've played were Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 &2, Jedi Outcast and Mass Effect 1 & 2. I supposed I prefer sci-fi to fantasy.

Morrowind is a lot different from Oblivion. Oblivion is more hack and slash than Morrowind was so it's a bit of a faster paced game. Morrowind kinda draws you into the it's world with all the lore in the game and it's environment. It's a slower paced game especially in the beginning since you need to devote time to improve your skill enough so that you have a fighting chance to survive. Overall, Morrowind was a lot more immersive than Oblivion.

There are always mods you can install to improve the graphics in Morrowind. There was something called the "Morrowind 2011 Graphical Project" that combined a lot of user created mods. However, it was taken offline since a lot of modders complained that they did not give permission for their mods to be used in a compilation.

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/elder-scrolls-morrowind/news/morrowind-2011-graphical-project-is-attacked-slain-and-looted-by-modding-community/a-2011010784839437023/g-20060330151844646032

However, you can go to Planet Elderscrolls to download Morrowind and Oblivion mods.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.List

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Ill see if I can find the game cheap and give it a shot! thanks

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

You do realize that others can continue a conversation string without it having a impact on the op'S purchase. Are you trying to apply for a moderator job? LMAO

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I think Left 4 Dead would have been cool if they had implemented a story line. The fact that they have 0 story in that game made me sell the game real fast( this was before I gamed on a PC, being able to buy and sell used games is the only thing I miss about consoles)