Getting a cheap GSM phone (Verizon or otherwise) to use wi..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
October 28, 2004 5:45:28 PM

Hi there,

I'm going to be heading overseas next month for a while (NZ and
Australia to be precise) and as a Verizon customer here I was looking
at my options. Verizon can sell me a new phone and a new plan
overseas, but a much cheaper option sounds to be getting a cheapie GSM
phone and a prepaid SIM card overseas. Anyone have any other
suggestions, or have any ideas where to pick up a used or cheap GSM
here in the states?

Thanks!

-Chris
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 6:54:05 PM

In article <1nt1o09lcktdokaug8hi12kjm9eu75q3v0@4ax.com>,
Nobody <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I'm going to be heading overseas next month for a while (NZ and
>Australia to be precise) and as a Verizon customer here I was looking
>at my options. Verizon can sell me a new phone and a new plan
>overseas, but a much cheaper option sounds to be getting a cheapie GSM
>phone and a prepaid SIM card overseas. Anyone have any other
>suggestions, or have any ideas where to pick up a used or cheap GSM
>here in the states?

eBay. Gazillions of them. Just be sure the model covers 900 MHz and,
preferably, 1800 also.
October 28, 2004 7:53:43 PM

I'll need to get an "unlocked" one though, right? Thanks!

-Chris

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:54:05 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.)
wrote:

>eBay. Gazillions of them. Just be sure the model covers 900 MHz and,
>preferably, 1800 also.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 7:54:56 PM

"Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Hi there,
>
> I'm going to be heading overseas next month for a while (NZ and
> Australia to be precise) and as a Verizon customer here I was looking
> at my options. Verizon can sell me a new phone and a new plan
> overseas, but a much cheaper option sounds to be getting a cheapie GSM
> phone and a prepaid SIM card overseas. Anyone have any other
> suggestions, or have any ideas where to pick up a used or cheap GSM
> here in the states?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chris

Did you know that Verizon offers service where your going? There is a place
I believe on their web site where you rent the service in those locations. I
don't know if it is still there or not. It was however expensive at $1.50 a
minute for the program. And you can pick up the phone or have it delivered
to you.

see it here: http://tinyurl.com/6xg9b

Elector
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 8:29:48 PM

In article <ue52o0hpa24u9ji7ie6honq3o7lbtluuao@4ax.com>,
Nobody <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:54:05 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs@xinap.moc (Mike S.)
>wrote:
>

>>eBay. Gazillions of them. Just be sure the model covers 900 MHz and,
>>preferably, 1800 also.
>>

>I'll need to get an "unlocked" one though, right? Thanks!

Right.
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 8:50:41 PM

"Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Hi there,
>
> I'm going to be heading overseas next month for a while (NZ and
> Australia to be precise) and as a Verizon customer here I was looking
> at my options. Verizon can sell me a new phone and a new plan
> overseas, but a much cheaper option sounds to be getting a cheapie GSM
> phone and a prepaid SIM card overseas. Anyone have any other
> suggestions, or have any ideas where to pick up a used or cheap GSM
> here in the states?
>
> Thanks!

Verizon has some rental deal, but it is expensive and not worth it.

I have two GSM phones that I picked up on eBay for about $100 each. I use
them for international travel, and either buy a SIM card at my destination,
or use a service like RoadPost (which used to be a good deal) for
same-number-everywhere international service.

Just make sure that the phone is tri-band and unlocked.

> -Chris

October 28, 2004 9:59:44 PM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:54:56 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>Did you know that Verizon offers service where your going? There is a place
>I believe on their web site where you rent the service in those locations. I
>don't know if it is still there or not. It was however expensive at $1.50 a
>minute for the program. And you can pick up the phone or have it delivered
>to you.

For $1.50 a minute plus a "feature" charge of $8.00 a month.

Compare that to using a phone that you buy with a prepaid account that
will initially cost you the equivalent of $20 or so and includes some
minutes and the per minute rate for local calls will likely be 40
cents or less.

October 28, 2004 11:27:27 PM

PrePaid Wireless is way ahead of the USA in OZ. No point in getting some
Verizon deal at 1.50 a minute. Look at http://groups.msn.com/prepaidwireless
and go to the Australia section. It has links to the carruiers PrePaid
Deals. Pick up a used GSM phone with 900/.18800ncapability that is nt SIM
Unlocked and you are ready to go. You may need a Aussie Address to get the
SIM, use a Hotel or become creative.

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> "Nobody" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm going to be heading overseas next month for a while (NZ and
> > Australia to be precise) and as a Verizon customer here I was looking
> > at my options. Verizon can sell me a new phone and a new plan
> > overseas, but a much cheaper option sounds to be getting a cheapie GSM
> > phone and a prepaid SIM card overseas. Anyone have any other
> > suggestions, or have any ideas where to pick up a used or cheap GSM
> > here in the states?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Chris
> >

> Did you know that Verizon offers service where your going? There is a
place
> I believe on their web site where you rent the service in those locations.
> don't know if it is still there or not. It was however expensive at $1.50
> minute for the program. And you can pick up the phone or have it delivered
> to you.
>
> see it here: http://tinyurl.com/6xg9b
>
> Elector

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:34:17 PM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:54:56 GMT, "Elector" <elector@my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Did you know that Verizon offers service where your going? There is
>>a place
>>I believe on their web site where you rent the service in those
>>locations. I
>>don't know if it is still there or not. It was however expensive at
>>$1.50 a
>>minute for the program. And you can pick up the phone or have it
>>delivered
>>to you.
>
> For $1.50 a minute plus a "feature" charge of $8.00 a month.
>
> Compare that to using a phone that you buy with a prepaid account
> that
> will initially cost you the equivalent of $20 or so and includes
> some
> minutes and the per minute rate for local calls will likely be 40
> cents or less.

That may be very true. I only post what I have a general knowledge of.
I do not endorse the program just that it is there. I also read that
Hertz Rent A Car has a deal in Europe that lends you a working cell
phone while you are staying and renting from them. Don't know what the
pricing is on the deal, it could be included in the rental and it may
have other restrictions. Another service that could be considered is
Satellite Phone service which I have read works in the jungles of
Peru. Don't know if it is true and I know the costs for the average
person may be high but it works everywhere. Mainly for business class
travelers.

Elector
November 1, 2004 3:52:50 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the tips. As I'm leaving in less than a week, eBay
probably isn't the best option. Anyone have any ideas where I can
pick up an unlocked cheapie phone in the Boston area? Otherwise, I
can always try to hunt one up overseas.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

!