Ps3 droppped now wont save game data & hdmi wont work

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
can someone point where to troubleshoot this problem?

Son dropped his ps3 now it isnt saving the data.

And the hdmi doesnt work which is fine...

SHould i go buy a new hard drive??

Is there a place to troubleshoot this?

Recommendations??

the HDD might not be the problem if it was dropped and another connection in the same vacinity is not working. The HDD on a ps3 has an insert type of installation and the actual connection for it is towards the back of the unit along where the power cord, ethernet, and HDMI plug ins are at. it might be the connections to the HDD are damaged as well. you might be able to hook the HDD up to a computer and see how it fares there to see if it really is the HDD thats broken and not somethign far worse that isnt removable

dovedescent7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

ok i will try this,but will my computer recognize the ps3 formatted drive?

Are you saying i can just plug it in,and it will show up?

Assuming the hard drive is the only component that got damaged other than the HDMI, it is very easy to replace the hard drive in a PS3. The placement of the hard drive is a little different from the older fat PS3's and the newer slim PS3's. Just go to youtube and search for a PS3 hard drive replacement. It only takes like 10 minutes. All you need is a new 2.5" 5400 rpm laptop drive. If you haven't previously backed up your game saves or system, you will have to start your games over again since the old saves were lost.