Sign in with
Your question

OK to Shutdown Instead of Reboot?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 29, 2005 3:40:18 AM

When changing drivers (WinME) and your told to reboot/restart, I've found it's better to shutdown, then restart, otherwise the "NEW" menu usually (not all the time) goes missing and a "import" backup of the registry is required.

In your opinion is it OK to do the above or are there subtle differences in reboot and shutdown/restart in regards to proper instalation of drivers, etc, therefore reboot/restart should always be done in preference to the other method?

Thanks,

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

More about : shutdown reboot

March 29, 2005 11:08:50 AM

Wierd...either way should restart Windows in the same manner. to answer the question I would say it should be fine to do a complete shutdown.

....WW (5.0)
March 30, 2005 2:01:32 AM

Yes, strange that the right hand click "NEW" menu and "File" - "NEW" menu in window goes missing. It happens on the second reboot usually, then I have to uninstal the driver, then import the Reg bkp and then hope that after the second reinstalation of the driver the "NEW" is present, which it thankfully it is.

I will instal WinXP later when I can justify/afford it, probably after CPU upgrade as XP from what I've been told runs games better with a decent/high end processor such as 3.0GHZ P4 and plenty of ram ie. at least 512mb.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>
!