Sign in with
Your question

The witcher 2

Last response: in Video Games
June 18, 2011 7:16:40 PM

hey guys and laddies i recently bought the witcher 2 and have played on all the settings the highest and the lowest, i really like the ultra settings but i cant run it that fast, my fraps application says i get about 10- 15 frames/sec with motion blur off and uber sampling on. i really want to play it without and hiccups at its highest settings it just looks so beautiful, any suggestions for me?? also heres my specs, any help would be greatly appreciated

amd phenom 2 six core processor
8gb ddr3 system memory
nvidia 1gb ddr5 550 ti
corsair gs600 watt pwr supply
720p hdtv

More about : witcher

June 18, 2011 7:47:12 PM

http://heavenrooms.com/?p=273

The game is both cpu and gpu intensive. Make sure you overclock your processor and I'd recommend turning off uber sampling and you should be able to play on ultra with a decent fps.
m
l
June 18, 2011 9:00:45 PM

use ultra settings and turn off ubr sampling. you should be in the 30's at least with that change, and the only difference i can see between high and ultra is draw distances
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2011 4:27:21 AM

crewton said:
http://heavenrooms.com/?p=273

The game is both cpu and gpu intensive. Make sure you overclock your processor and I'd recommend turning off uber sampling and you should be able to play on ultra with a decent fps.

is there another way to get the same effects without over clocking, im new to computers and dont know much and i dont want to do anything dangerous unless i have a guide, i was also thinking about getting an sli ready motherboard so i can dual wield the 550 tis but i dont know what im really looking for, i just dont want to BURN up my new computer!
m
l
June 19, 2011 9:04:38 AM

your never gonna play the game at max settings. you will need a much bigger card with more than 2 gigs of gfx mem to run it with ubersamles.

you have a modest gaming rig that will allow you to play most games at high settings but it will in no way allow ultra settings. so be realistic in your expectations. your still gaming well above what the consoles get so dont worry about maxing out games.
it is a very mid range card so all you can expect is mid range performance...
m
l
June 19, 2011 12:16:21 PM

HEXiT said:
your never gonna play the game at max settings. you will need a much bigger card with more than 2 gigs of gfx mem to run it with ubersamles.

you have a modest gaming rig that will allow you to play most games at high settings but it will in no way allow ultra settings. so be realistic in your expectations. your still gaming well above what the consoles get so dont worry about maxing out games.
it is a very mid range card so all you can expect is mid range performance...

+1, you wont see any difference with the uber sampling on anyhow; the only difference you will see is with it off with a fram rate boost. I have a GTX570 OC'ed and i cant run TW2 as smooth as i would like with the uber sampling on. When i turn it off with everything else set to the ultra settings i get a steady 60 fps during gameplay. Be happy with what you have, you still will have a very rich experience with this game despite not being able to put uber sampling on. http://www.techspot.com/review/405-the-witcher-2-perfor...
Look through this, and you will see everything tested, and where you should be running at with which setting.
m
l
June 19, 2011 6:52:57 PM

johndud said:
is there another way to get the same effects without over clocking, im new to computers and dont know much and i dont want to do anything dangerous unless i have a guide, i was also thinking about getting an sli ready motherboard so i can dual wield the 550 tis but i dont know what im really looking for, i just dont want to BURN up my new computer!

There are plenty of guides to overclocking. The only reason I say that is I assume you have a 6 core processor with a sub 3.0ghz frequency. The witcher can utilize up to 4 cores so 2 of your cores won't be utilized and you can oc the other 4 to help the game out.

Upgrading motherboards are a pain in that you will also have to buy a new windows key unless you are a student/have retail copy.
m
l
June 19, 2011 10:40:36 PM

crewton said:
There are plenty of guides to overclocking. The only reason I say that is I assume you have a 6 core processor with a sub 3.0ghz frequency. The witcher can utilize up to 4 cores so 2 of your cores won't be utilized and you can oc the other 4 to help the game out.

Upgrading motherboards are a pain in that you will also have to buy a new windows key unless you are a student/have retail copy.

thanks u guys for all the help its hard being a noob to computers. other than buying a new windows key whats so hard about upgrading a motherboard, ive upgraded my power supply and my graphics card is it any harder than that. do u have to buy software for overclocking or is it just on ur computer naturally, any suggestions on how to do it i really just wanna upgrade for playing the new games coming out this november like skyrim and mass effect without any stutters. and also i really appreciate all the answers im sure it gets annoying sometimes to answer lame questions but its just so much easier to ask someone then look it up and get a half generalized answer. and again also do u think i could play the first crysis on my comp with the specs i have and what settings u think?
m
l
June 19, 2011 11:37:06 PM

I think the motherboard is the hardest part of a computer to install. Basically everything goes into it and there are a lot of little things that cause issues. It's also a pain to troubleshoot.

what is your cpu? I can find you a guide specifically for that as well as your motherboard since most boards have a similar bios but some of the items are worded differently. No software is required although motherboard companies do have overclocking software to use for their boards. I use gigabyte and they provide easy tune which will overclock for you but it tends to err high on voltage settings. It's not something I'd just go and do. I'd definitely research how to OC before trying it. Sandy bridge takes a lot of the work out of overclocking so hopefully future designs go easy mode on it as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-550-ti-... here is your card in crysis 2. I'd expect similar performance for the first one.
m
l
June 20, 2011 4:58:11 AM

crewton said:
I think the motherboard is the hardest part of a computer to install. Basically everything goes into it and there are a lot of little things that cause issues. It's also a pain to troubleshoot.

what is your cpu? I can find you a guide specifically for that as well as your motherboard since most boards have a similar bios but some of the items are worded differently. No software is required although motherboard companies do have overclocking software to use for their boards. I use gigabyte and they provide easy tune which will overclock for you but it tends to err high on voltage settings. It's not something I'd just go and do. I'd definitely research how to OC before trying it. Sandy bridge takes a lot of the work out of overclocking so hopefully future designs go easy mode on it as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-550-ti-... here is your card in crysis 2. I'd expect similar performance for the first one.

i dont know what kind of cpu i have, how can i figure that out?
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:06:49 AM

well i have a amd phenm 2 six core processor at 2.70 hgz i think thats what ur askng
m
l
June 20, 2011 11:46:40 AM

that will run it easily

i can run it easily on a non-overclocked

e7600 (3ghz core 2 duo)
hd4670 (1gb version)
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:33:54 PM

shanky887614 said:
that will run it easily

i can run it easily on a non-overclocked

e7600 (3ghz core 2 duo)
hd4670 (1gb version)

how do u get ur core 2 duos to run at 3 ghz and my six core only runs at 2.7ghz, is each core runnng at 2.7?
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:19:42 PM

its just yourstock speeds, if you can overclock you can get that six core to admirable speeds
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:38:15 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
its just yourstock speeds, if you can overclock you can get that six core to admirable speeds

any in depth suggestions on howto overclock?
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:12:35 PM

crewton said:

You dont have to purchase a new key to change a motherboard. All you have to do is delete the drivers for the old one and then shutdown. Install the mobo and boot up. Then install the new mobo drivers and restart. It works fine and if you get the message from windows saying the copy is bad all you have to do is re enter the key that came with your copy of windows or that came on the computer. Sometimes this wont work but you can still call Microsoft and tell them yu swapped out your mobo and they will give you another code that will work. And yes I have called them and they do that.

If you search around a little there is a way to show hidden drivers in the drivers panel. If you dont do that step you will not be able to clear out ALL the old drivers and you might have some issues. So once you can see all the hidden display and mobo drivers you can clear them out and the install the new mobo and drivers just fine.
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:53:42 PM

in some cases you have to run the repair install. to set up the HAL. sometimes you can get away with just deleting the drivers but if the motherboard is to different then a repaire inststall is needed to get system stability.
so basicaly if you swap out the board then find your system unstable run the repaire install to fix the HAL.
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:56:06 AM

I've done multiple upgrades of MB's with the same copy of Windows again and again (Years ago I even had a crappy shop here), MS is very co-operative and helpful with the new number, in fact the OS will prompt you with an 800 number to call them even.

On the actual question I'm currently running W2 on my Q6600 with 8 gigs and a Radeon 5750 on nearly max without any issues though as Hexit noted in another posting...turn down the AA man.. more then four you must deplore (heh, apologies all)

Good luck and fun gaming
m
l
June 26, 2011 11:58:15 AM

I'm having a weird issue with the game and I'd like to know if it's happening to anyone here as well. Edges seems to be viberating a little. The game is set to Ulta but without ubersampling. Even when enabling ubersampling, edges seem to be more "solid" but the problem is still there (and of course the huge performance drop). I'm on a PhenomII x4 and a GTX570
m
l
June 26, 2011 10:24:40 PM

you will get all of your stuff back after you escape at the begiining of chapter 1. you will need to get your silver sword remade tho- its not too hefty of a price
m
l
June 26, 2011 10:44:55 PM

Zen911 said:
I'm having a weird issue with the game and I'd like to know if it's happening to anyone here as well. Edges seems to be viberating a little. The game is set to Ulta but without ubersampling. Even when enabling ubersampling, edges seem to be more "solid" but the problem is still there (and of course the huge performance drop). I'm on a PhenomII x4 and a GTX570

are you referring to some of the graphical glitches in the hair, and some edging? if so these are common with the game - i get a little bit of that too sometimes. It freaked me out when i first saw them thinking somethign was wrong, but other videos on you tube will prove that its not just your system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PONFKwKKzj4&feature=relm... . check out 18:00 around there where it pans out from geralt sitting on the edge of the bed. Look at the floor, is this what you are experiencing?
m
l
June 27, 2011 12:17:16 AM

you may also want to check the vertical strob rate on your monitor settings...
m
l
June 27, 2011 12:30:56 PM

good luck with the utterly broken combat system
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:22:11 PM

wooodoggies said:

I played through it on normal and going back through on harder. You definitely get better at blocking, rolling behind the target, and attacking. Utilizing your spells in conjunction with blocks, evades, and bombs are necessary to survive. You have to think before you attack and look at a fight geometrically.

it is NOT a simple hack n slash, doing so will get you killed.
m
l
June 27, 2011 3:40:23 PM

wooodoggies said:

Its not broken they just dont explain it well to start off. After one playthrough I went back and most of the stuff I thought was hard was no longer hard because I had the controls and what not down by that time.
m
l
June 27, 2011 3:52:54 PM

@flintironstagg, yess this is exactly what i'm experiencing, thanks for the help.
I have to say that it's a shame that such a beautifully made game has such glitches.

I love the story telling, charachter scripting, presentation .. but somehow it feels a little linear to me. And for god's sake, boxing and arm wrestling mechanisms are just sillyyyyyyyy
m
l
June 27, 2011 4:23:02 PM

Zen911 said:
I love the story telling, charachter scripting, presentation .. but somehow it feels a little linear to me. And for god's sake, boxing and arm wrestling mechanisms are just sillyyyyyyyy

Playing the first one explains the second one. The game is divided into several chapters (five including the prologue and epilogue) and movement is unrestricted in the chapter of the story you are in currently.

But yeah, the boxing and arm wrestling mechanics were redesigned from the first one to cater to the upcoming console release, which has enraged die hard PC fans.
m
l
June 27, 2011 5:08:43 PM

Mozart25 said:
Playing the first one explains the second one. The game is divided into several chapters (five including the prologue and epilogue) and movement is unrestricted in the chapter of the story you are in currently.

But yeah, the boxing and arm wrestling mechanics were redesigned from the first one to cater to the upcoming console release, which has enraged die hard PC fans.

Was there armwrestling in number 1? No right? Any way the boxing part was just as silly in number 1. All I had to do was click the mouse when the icon changed and I would win every time. They should have just gave you a left and right punch button and a block and made it real time like a mini boxing game oh well .
m
l
June 27, 2011 5:18:45 PM

cburke82 said:
Was there armwrestling in number 1? No right? Any way the boxing part was just as silly in number 1. All I had to do was click the mouse when the icon changed and I would win every time. They should have just gave you a left and right punch button and a block and made it real time like a mini boxing game oh well .

Even the combat in #1 left something to be desired--click, wait for sword to turn yellow, click again. TW2 has improved everything on the whole with the blocking mechanic, except for the boxing and arm wrestling, which reeks of consolitis.
m
l
June 27, 2011 6:32:27 PM

Mozart25 said:
Even the combat in #1 left something to be desired--click, wait for sword to turn yellow, click again. TW2 has improved everything on the whole with the blocking mechanic, except for the boxing and arm wrestling, which reeks of consolitis.

IMO If they were going for the console I would expect the arm wrestling to be button smashing, you know "Hit A as fast as you can untill you win or loose" I mean how do you really make a mini game like that realistic lol.

Im def with you on the combat number 1 was weak there I like 2 better just wish you could use pots in a fight. lol GREAT GAME :) 
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:08:09 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Ok, how do you re-make the silver sword?

Talk to the blacksmith and pay some orens.
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:12:01 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
hrmmm, i dont seem to have the raw materials he needs.

It's been a while since chapter 1, but all I recall doing is talking to the blacksmith and paying some orens, possibly looted meteorite ore somewhere.
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:43:58 PM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
hrmmm, i dont seem to have the raw materials he needs.

You can purchase the stuff you need when I first made the sword I didn't have the silver so I had to buy it. First play through I was spoiled because I loaded a witcher 1 save so I already had a silver sword.
m
l
June 28, 2011 4:50:19 PM

A few more orens and I can get this game. lol. I love that word...orens. I know this will be worth it. The first one was, even with the the bugs and glitches. I like the spells, swordplay and potion combat. Striga slaying here I come!
m
l
June 28, 2011 5:53:42 PM

GNCD said:
A few more orens and I can get this game. lol. I love that word...orens. I know this will be worth it. The first one was, even with the the bugs and glitches. I like the spells, swordplay and potion combat. Striga slaying here I come!

Its a great game :) . Just dont expect to hack and slash like the first game and prepare to die alot untill you get the new system down lol.
m
l
!