Sign in with
Your question

Problems running oblivion

Last response: in Video Games
June 19, 2011 4:19:21 AM

I just recently built a gaming machine, and for some reason I can't get decent FPS on oblivion. I can play dragon age 2 with max settings and have constant 60fps, where in oblivion when I am out in the open I get anywhere from 10-35 fps and when I am in caves I get a solid 60 fps. What could be the problem?

Here is my computer specs:
CPU: AMD phenom x4 975 BE 4.2 ghz
GPU: MSI Radeon 6950 2gb 900/1400 OC
RAM: 8 Gig (2x4Gb) GSkill Ripjaws X Series
Power supply: Rosewill LIGHTNING Series 800w
MB: MSI 890FXA-GD70
June 19, 2011 10:14:30 PM

Oblivion sometimes has problems on 4 core CPUs. I have a few problems playing it as well on my 2600k.

Your hardware all seems more than capable, so I doubt it's that.

So my guess is it's either the poor quad core optimisation which I'm afraid you can do little about other than lowering your settings, or you're running some conflicting files (mods perhaps?)

-Nih
m
l
June 20, 2011 5:08:27 AM

I haven't installed any mods, I ended up just lowering the settings. I went from 16x AA in CCC to just 4 and am running the game at 1440 x 900 instead of 1680 x 1080. Now I am at around 50fps

Thanks for your input
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2011 5:45:45 AM

you will need to run the dx9 installer that comes with it. it will put some older dx files into the dx libraries.
you should be able to max out oblivion easily as it can be maxed just about on an 88gt. there is a optimization problem but was sorted with patches as far as i now. but theres is a problem with them 2.
some patches fixed stuff and the next 1s broke it again so you will have to download each and install them 1 at a time and play a test run to see if you get improvements. if you do then stop patching until you need to, say for dlc or adding knights of the nine.

oh and 16x fsaa is way to much the most you will need is x4 fsaa. no wonder your having fps issues...
read up on antialiasing and you will see yourself what i mean...
max out the settings with x16 ano filters and x4 fsaa and you will have very playable fps numbers.
m
l
June 20, 2011 6:22:20 AM

HEXiT said:
you will need to run the dx9 installer that comes with it. it will put some older dx files into the dx libraries.
you should be able to max out oblivion easily as it can be maxed just about on an 88gt. there is a optimization problem but was sorted with patches as far as i now. but theres is a problem with them 2.
some patches fixed stuff and the next 1s broke it again so you will have to download each and install them 1 at a time and play a test run to see if you get improvements. if you do then stop patching until you need to, say for dlc or adding knights of the nine.

oh and 16x fsaa is way to much the most you will need is x4 fsaa. no wonder your having fps issues...
read up on antialiasing and you will see yourself what i mean...
max out the settings with x16 ano filters and x4 fsaa and you will have very playable fps numbers.

+1, not because I know, but because HeXit usually nails it :) 

-Nih
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:55:13 PM

lol i have only been here 4 months, but thanx for the compliment...;)
m
l
June 22, 2011 6:43:59 AM

Yeah. I kind of figured 16x AA was too much. I was excited to have this new system, so I maxed out my card in CCC, and that was my problem. I changed my settings to what HEXiT suggested, and it works great. Thanks

This system was a pretty big upgrade from my prev system which was a phenom II 9500 with a 4670 graphics card.
m
l
June 22, 2011 9:05:04 AM

Well done - enjoy your games! :) 

-Nih
m
l
June 22, 2011 9:01:40 PM

Also It seems your adjusting AA out of game. I have found that forcing AA past what the game gives you settings for can end up with some bad FPS. I have almost the same exact setup and maxx everything out just fine. :)  happy gaming
m
l
!