Low Framerates in Games

ShazamKnight

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I switched my computer from 32 bit Windows XP to 64 bit Windows 7 and the framerates in video games have been cut by half.

My computer is as follows
Main Board Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3, BIOS Vers. F3
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Video Card: Radeon HD5670
Ram: 4GB G.SKill DDR2
Hard Drive: 7200 RPM Seagate 500GB 32mb Cache

I've even tried games on minimum settings and it doesn't really make a dent in the games' framerates at all.

I've run a RAM Memory Test, Defragged, Virus Scanned, reinstalled the games, in the case of World of Warcraft, I've run it without any addons and nothing seems to help. I was thinking since i switched from 32 bit to 64 bit that some of my hardware may not be compatible with 32 bit Windows, but that's just me speculating.

Solution
the system as a whole is pretty balanced. so i guess you have cocked up on the install somewhere. probably motherboard drivers.
also check in bios and make sure the gfx card isnt running @ x8 or x1, make sure if you have hpet mode options to set it at 64.

you will also need a new version of the amd dualcore optimizer.
in your ccc pannel make sure your set to default and that your not running your games at anything other than msaa (multi-sample)/// ccc panel/games/aa mode another thing make sure you have the tessellation option set to amd optimized.
as the 5670 is pretty weak for things like tessellation run your games in a maximum of dx10 mode. you can do this via most new games ini files where you may see a line that reads along the...
the system as a whole is pretty balanced. so i guess you have cocked up on the install somewhere. probably motherboard drivers.
also check in bios and make sure the gfx card isnt running @ x8 or x1, make sure if you have hpet mode options to set it at 64.

you will also need a new version of the amd dualcore optimizer.
in your ccc pannel make sure your set to default and that your not running your games at anything other than msaa (multi-sample)/// ccc panel/games/aa mode another thing make sure you have the tessellation option set to amd optimized.
as the 5670 is pretty weak for things like tessellation run your games in a maximum of dx10 mode. you can do this via most new games ini files where you may see a line that reads along the lines of DirectX version = auto set it to 10 or even 9
as your dx11 features will now be enabled you may want to turn some of the more draining 1s off. things like hsao or ssao (these give deeper shadows but also cost a lot in gpu resorces) should be disabled to free up usage for other more important things like fps.

Solution

ShazamKnight

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

How do i do that?
Also, what does HSAO or SSAO mean? (i may know what it is, just not the acronym)

I also heard that windows 7 is optimized for multi core processors so Dual Core Optimizer isn't needed.
EDIT: I had it on my computer already, so thats not the issue. lol

Memory usage is a 30-40% when its just sitting there

check the pci-e settings to make sure its set @ x16 in bios if the option is available. the same with hpet mode, that should be under advanced cpu features or advanced menu options.

there ambient occlusion settings.

Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion, hbao
Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion, ssao...

sorry i got the acronym wrong...

ShazamKnight

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I noticed that when I tried to play Dungeon Siege III today the CPU usage spiked to 100%, i looked into why and it was due to betwee 25-40% being used by SYSTEM INTERRUPTS.

I looked into it further and its caused by USBPORT.sys, i looked into how to fix this and I can't find anything, apparently it can be a chipset error, but I have the latest drivers for my motherboard. Could a BIOS Flash fix this issue? Or could my motherboard just be too dated for windows 7?