G

New member, old question?
I am looking for a way to test my motherboard (ASUS CUBX-E). Is there a standard routine for testing?

The reason I ask can be read below or ignored.

Iinstalled the board in Jan. Worked fine. After using the board a few days, recording audio (my job) when doing a take the soundcard exhibited a huge ammount of noise on all outputs of sound card. Mouse movements caused a crackling effect over the continual distorted noise (like white noise). I done tests with the soundcard in other PC's. Result was unable to install successfully.
After checking IRQ's, audio connections etc. nothing seemed out of place. Then one of my SCSI drives became unreadable, this I managed to fix after some time but with a Gig missing.
Next problem was when "unraring" back ups. I got constant CRC errors. Replacing the SCSI card fixed this. The soundcard was replaced and passed the manufacturers tests.
After all this I reverted back to my old setup (msi6119). My sampler would not recognise my SCSI CDR Drive so I bought a new SCSI CDROM.
The board seemed to work O.K. after all this but I wanted to replace it. Vendor said no but accepted to take it for testing. They tested it with no problem found and sent it to ASUS for eight weeks. No report sheet was included on return ("Warrnty Repair") and no information available from Vnedor/ASUS as to whether anything was found to be wrong under testing. The Vendor said that the board is usually replaced by ASUS with a fully tested replacement however having noted down all letters and numbers on the board before sending it on return they all match, so it's the same board.
Total cost to me; lots. I don't want this to happen again as the PC forms a central role in my work.
Processor, Ram, Graphics etc all unaffected. Any comments would be most appreciated.

G

there are very expensive hardware methods of testing motherboards, but i dont think those are an option for you. What most people do is a series of tests employed by swaping different components out of the motherboard. In other words, if you are having difficulty with your sound card, try it in another pc. then try another sound card in the troubled pc, etc. This is the best method to isolate where the problem is, and wether it is hardware related or software related. I know its frustrating and time consuming, but its the only method that will allow you to locate the problem with certainty. good luck....

ignore everything i say