One Million Cell Phone Batteries Recalled

Last response: in Network Providers
October 29, 2004 4:43:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.nokia,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/7oys/print_102804_7oys_...

One Million Cell Phone Batteries Recalled

(www.cpsc.gov)
Oct. 28 (AP) - Kyocera Wireless Corp. is recalling about 1 million cell phone batteries because some
may be counterfeit, which could cause them to short-circuit, overheat and burn users.

The San Diego company has received 10 reports of battery failures -- eight resulting in smoke and
property damage and two that caused minor burn injuries, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said
Thursday.

The recalled batteries, manufactured by Hecmma Group of El Paso, Texas, and made in China, involve
three different cell phone models:

Slider Series: phone model SE44/SE47; battery models CV90-L305N-01, CV90-L305P-01, CV90-L305T-01,
CV90-L349T-01.

K400 Series (Phantom, Blade and Rave): phone models KE413, KE433, KE/KX414, KE/KX424, KE/KX434;
battery models CV90-K3040-03, CV90-K3040-09, CV90-K3040-10, CV90-K3040-11.

3200 Series: phone models 3225, 3245, 3250; battery models same as K400 Series.
The batteries were sold nationwide at ALLTEL, Cricket Communications, MetroPCS, U.S. Cellular and
Verizon Wireless stores, as well as by telemarketing retailers, various Web sites and regional phone
carriers.

The K400 and 3200 Series were sold from December 2003 to September 2004 for $30 to $100; the Slider
Series sold from May to September for $30 to $170. The batteries were also sold separately during
those time periods for $30 to $60.

The commission advises consumers to stop using the batteries and store them with nonflammable
materials. If users do not hear from Kyocera they should contact the company to receive a free
replacement battery.

Kyocera can be reached at 866-559-3882, weekdays 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. EDT.
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:42:26 AM

None of the below mentioned models are Sprint PCS phones, past or present.

Leisa

"Recall" <recall@no_thanks.com> wrote in message

> http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/7oys/print_102804_7oys_...
>

> One Million Cell Phone Batteries Recalled
>
> (www.cpsc.gov)
> Oct. 28 (AP) - Kyocera Wireless Corp. is recalling about 1 million cell
> phone batteries because some
> may be counterfeit, which could cause them to short-circuit, overheat and
> burn users.
>
> The San Diego company has received 10 reports of battery failures -- eight
> resulting in smoke and
> property damage and two that caused minor burn injuries, the Consumer
> Product Safety Commission said
> Thursday.
>
> The recalled batteries, manufactured by Hecmma Group of El Paso, Texas,
> and made in China, involve
> three different cell phone models:
>

> Slider Series: phone model SE44/SE47; battery models CV90-L305N-01,
> CV90-L305P-01, CV90-L305T-01,
> CV90-L349T-01.
>
> K400 Series (Phantom, Blade and Rave): phone models KE413, KE433,
> KE/KX414, KE/KX424, KE/KX434;
> battery models CV90-K3040-03, CV90-K3040-09, CV90-K3040-10, CV90-K3040-11.
>
> 3200 Series: phone models 3225, 3245, 3250; battery models same as K400
> Series.
> The batteries were sold nationwide at ALLTEL, Cricket Communications,
> MetroPCS, U.S. Cellular and
> Verizon Wireless stores, as well as by telemarketing retailers, various
> Web sites and regional phone
> carriers.
>
> The K400 and 3200 Series were sold from December 2003 to September 2004
> for $30 to $100; the Slider
> Series sold from May to September for $30 to $170. The batteries were also
> sold separately during
> those time periods for $30 to $60.
>
> The commission advises consumers to stop using the batteries and store
> them with nonflammable
> materials. If users do not hear from Kyocera they should contact the
> company to receive a free
> replacement battery.
>
> Kyocera can be reached at 866-559-3882, weekdays 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. EDT.

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 5:42:27 AM

Leisa wrote:
> None of the below mentioned models are Sprint PCS phones, past or present.

No, but Virgin Mobile sells the Slider and one or two other Kyocera handsets.
*shrug* For what it's worth.

November 6, 2004 11:21:36 AM

"Leisa" <lei@spring.com> wrote in message news:<5ehgd.332912$D%.81893@attbi_s51>...
> None of the below mentioned models are Sprint PCS phones, past or present.
>
> Leisa

A few inches away from me is a KE433

>K400 Series (Phantom, Blade and Rave): phone models KE413, KE433

It works on the SPCS system here in NYC.

I am in this newsgroup because my KE433 ONLY works on the Sprint PCS system.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 11:58:34 AM

NYC wrote:

>>K400 Series (Phantom, Blade and Rave): phone models KE413, KE433
>
> It works on the SPCS system here in NYC.
>
> I am in this newsgroup because my KE433 ONLY works on the Sprint PCS system.

Technically, most Kyocera phones will work on Sprint because they're all CDMA
and many of them run at 1900 MHz. Sprint just doesn't activate them for use on
their network.

You must have a Virgin Mobile prepaid phone.

November 7, 2004 11:40:08 AM

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JvstThe.net> wrote in message news:<cmivs2$1ht$1@ratbert.glorb.com>...
> NYC wrote:
>
> >>K400 Series (Phantom, Blade and Rave): phone models KE413, KE433
> >
> > It works on the SPCS system here in NYC.
> >
> > I am in this newsgrovp becavse my KE433 ONLY works on the Sprint PCS system.
>
> Technically, most Kyocera phones will work on Sprint becavse they're all CDMA
> and many of them rvn at 1900 MHz. Sprint jvst doesn't activate them for vse on
> their network.
>
> Yov mvst have a Virgin Mobile prepaid phone.

Yes, switched after being a direct SPCS cvstomer from 1998 to Avgvst
2004.
We had two phones paying a total of over $80.00/mo with tax. Nor we
only vse the Virgin minimvm of c. $7/mo x 2 = $14.00

I heard that a least one Manahattan NYC store sell Virgin. Virgin also
has a maga store on Times Sqvare, another one on Union Sqvare.

We got ovr $59.99 Virgin phones for $39.99 after in store rebate [not
at Virgin] and then Virgin PAYS YOU to activate [$10.00]. Then when
yov register a credit card for payments yov get another five dollars.
Bvt yiv can bvy "top off" cards at a discovnt.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:48:28 AM

NYC wrote:

> Yes, switched after being a direct SPCS customer from 1998 to August
> 2004.

That explains it, then. VM usually carries at least one or two current Kyocera
handsets.

November 2, 2009 4:17:41 AM

I wanted to change my Kyocera Battery which got damaged.

Battery Make Kyocera CV90-K3040-11, Model TXBAT100009

Pls help where do and to whom should i sent the mail for replacement of my battery.
!