Newbi question: receive/transmit differences between PCMCI..

I want to put in wireless system into my garage which is three walls
with aluminumized insulation about 30 yards away from the wireless modem.
I took a laptop to the garage and could barely get a signal and it was
not usable.
Do the antenna systems and PCI cards tend to receive better than the
laptop based wireless?

Thanks

Dave

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

tes@test.com wrote:
> I want to put in wireless system into my garage which is three walls
> with aluminumized insulation about 30 yards away from the wireless modem.
> I took a laptop to the garage and could barely get a signal and it was
> not usable.
> Do the antenna systems and PCI cards tend to receive better than the
> laptop based wireless?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

An external antenna is definitely better than what's built into most
laptops or wireless cards for laptops. A PCI device is not necessarily
any better, but many have removeable antennas so it's easier to another
antenna. You may be able to use your laptop if there's a removeable
antenna or you add a laptop card that has one. You may need to add an
external antenna or least a reflector on your router as well.