Sign in with
Your question

Help me install and configure Win2K...

Last response: in Motherboards
May 27, 2001 7:59:39 AM

I've just gotten a Windows 2000 CD from a friend because I wanted to see how stable it was compared to Windows 98. How would I go about having a dual boot system? Windows 98SE is already installed.

<b>System Specs:</b>
Asus A7V133
Athlon T-Bird 850
IBM 75GXP Deskstar 30GB 7200RPM ATA100
ATI Radeon 32MB SDRAM
Creative Labs SB Live! Value
3Com NIC

<b>Available Software:</b>
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 98 Second Edition
Drive Image 4.0
Partition Magic 6.0 (with Boot Magic)
System Commander 2000

<b>Partition Information:</b>
(All are FAT32)
3,004.3MB Primary 1 with Win98SE installed
5,012.5MB Primary 2 with Win2000 installed fresh
12,895.9MB Logical 1 with all my data
8,401.1MB Logical 2 with all my backups (Drive Image files) and Windows swap file

I hope it isn't too much to ask for help in the best possible order of installation. I've already downloaded the VIA 4-in-1 v4.31, and the drivers for the Radeon 32MB SDRAM and the SB Live Value for Win2K. Thanks!

<i>OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme?)</i> :eek: 
May 27, 2001 12:08:33 PM

""I've just gotten a Windows 2000 CD from a friend because ...""

Thy should not steal... hehehe

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:
May 27, 2001 12:10:42 PM

PS: Everything else, ask your friend, whom you got Win2k from, he should know.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2001 5:06:31 PM

its actually pretty easy to dual boot with win 2000 and win 98. as win 98 is already running, just pop in the 2000 disk an follow the instructions. I would recommend that you install 2000 on a seperate partition (you can make the pertition during installation - dont do it with fdisk) and choose to format with NTFS. thats it. upon reboot, you will have 30 seconds to choose 'windows' or 'windows 2000'.....give it a shot. if you have any problems or questions, let us know.

ignore everything i say
May 27, 2001 6:52:06 PM

If you didn't read my first post, I've stated that I've already partitioned my partition just the way I want it. I actually have Win2K installed and running. But, I would like to know the best way to install any patches specific to my machine and what order they should be installed. I'm already dual-booting my machine using Boot Magic from PowerQuest. It's running fine right now, too. All this is just for future reference, plus I'm not sure if I've installed everything that is needed.

Thanks for your replies!

<i>OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme?)</i> :eek: 
May 27, 2001 7:31:17 PM

<b>But, I would like to know the best way to install any patches specific to my machine and what order they should be installed.</b>
You can download <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com//windows2000/server/evaluation..." target="_new"><font color=red>Service Pack 2</font color=red></A>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2001 3:40:29 PM

If Windows 2000 is any harder to install than Windows 98 Se I'll eat it. As far as stability, there is no comparison. If your hardware is up to snuff it should run forever without crashing. If your hardware is deficient it will help you find the problem a lot faster than W98 because it has an event log. Microsoft has made OS patches a lot easier with the Windows Update web site. Just connect and let your machine do all the work.
What is the point of dual-booting W98 and W2k? They cannot share applications. You can update W98 directly with W2k but to get the most benefit out of W2k you should upgrade the file system to NTFS. At that point you have left the world of home computing and entered the universe of mission-critical processing. Better to wait for Windows XP if you have anything that wants to directly access the hardware. As far as games, I have run UNREAL and SERIOUS SAM successfully on Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
May 28, 2001 8:20:03 PM

you can share apps, just keep them on the fat32 partition.
I've done it.
also, dual booting, there are a lot of apps that will NOT RUN on Win2k, no matter how stable the system is.
thus, 98 for games and a few other programs.
I'll agree with your first paragraph, but the second is opinion and speculation.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2001 2:42:21 AM

Just because you CAN share certain applications between W98 and W2K doesn't mean you SHOULD, what with different registry settings and such. No one said ALL applications will run with W2K. I just wonder why one would go to all the trouble of buying and installing W2K and NOT use it's best feature, the NTFS file system.
Rock on Dude.

The Mentat Bashar
May 29, 2001 3:47:26 AM

hey, you're the one that brought it up.
as far as registry settings, I've had no trouble with my system, ran it that way for 4 months.
I'm not going to say it was easy to set up, but it ran just fine, I could check my email in Win2k and then see the same messages in Win98 using outlook express.
ICQ, AVP, QuakeIII, Unreal, Need For Speed, most of which have small registry entries... Paint shop pro 5 and 6, Adobe acrobat, MS works, I can't remember all the rest, the only problem I had was outlook using hotmail tends to screw up.
using a pop3 account works fine.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
!