Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Tried to connect PS3 to my regular PC monitor.

Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • Playstation
  • Connection
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 21, 2011 11:07:44 AM

Hi there!

I'd love to have your help, guys. I recently -- well, by recently, a year ago -- bought a PS3, but only have two games in it. The thing is, is that my TV screen is just god awful. I can't even see the minimap properly or the icons, it's like 240p and in some sort of ... lines, not sure. The TV screen is really old, anyhow. So I told myself yesterday. "Wait. I've got a Flatron W2486L screen that supports HDMI? Why not just connect my PS3 to it, sit back on the couch and play that way?"

So here's the problem. I'm using an hp invent converter of sorts. Basically, I plug it into a USB entrance, and I can plug into the device headphones and a mic. I don't mind, but I've got a surround system I'd love to use. (I also have these three cables that connect the PS3 to the TV, a yellow, white and red one) So the problem is this; I log into the PS3. Everything's okay, smooth, my god I never noticed those sparkly white dots, due to the horridness of my TV. The thing is, whenever I enter any form of game, the entire screen goes, hrmmn, how to explain it.

When it's a blackscreen, there's all these ... it's basically like that classic TV-not-detecting-anything screen. A hundred gazillion dots of multiple colors, though the main color seems to be just black and white. When there's a blackscreen, or even partially, say, clicking the PS3 button to pop up the PS3 menu, most of the dots disappear, leaving only loads, but rather scattered, green dots blinking everywhere. The game in question is Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood. I lost the game that I was given ages ago as a birthday gift, some Transformers game, never really interested me.

If anyone can lend me their advice, I would be grateful!

More about : connect ps3 regular monitor

June 21, 2011 12:10:16 PM

Why not just get brotherhood on PC, if you have a good rig. It can had very cheaply these days and runs loads better then the PS3 version. Can also use the PS3 controller to play it.
Score
June 21, 2011 12:33:08 PM

Ok that was a long and convoluted post. Something about USB and surround sound... and then video problems...
what the hell are you asking?

Ok, so I'll start from the top,
1. if you want to use HDMI and you don't have the PS3 HDMI cable you will need to go buy one
1.2 that said, if you want to use speakers and your monitor doesn't exactly provide audio out while HDMI is being used you will need to get PS3 HDMI adapter that splits Video and Audio signals, so you can splice the audio to your stereo and video to the monitor.
2. black and white dots in random pattern (there's no multiple colors it's just a side effect of tubes) typically mean that the TV is getting no signal, which does not apply to LCD screens, so unless that is what the game is supposed to look like, I don't know what's causing that. There's a possibility you hooked the leads wrong. Yellow one goes into your AV jack, red and white go to sound ports(if you got any on your TV/monitor) otherwise you can plug those into your stereo/speakers.
Score
a b î Playstation
June 21, 2011 4:03:47 PM

Zamoonda said:
I also have these three cables that connect the PS3 to the TV, a yellow, white and red one)

The games may be trying to run in 720p or higher which requires an HDMI cable from the ps3 to the tv. If you are using the red, yellow, and white, the best you will get is 480i.
Score
June 21, 2011 4:46:07 PM

kashifme21 said:
Why not just get brotherhood on PC, if you have a good rig. It can had very cheaply these days and runs loads better then the PS3 version. Can also use the PS3 controller to play it.

I was about to say that I wanted a bit more variety in my gaming life; but then I heard the part about the connecting to the PC. Really? That's great. I've got double GTX 475, as well as quad and windows 7 64bit. But then what's the point of a PS3? Also, unfortunately I pirated my PC version of AC:B, I first purchased it on the PS3, but I saw it ridiculous to purchase the same game twice for no good reason. (Thus no multiplayer)

Quote:
Ok that was a long and convoluted post. Something about USB and surround sound... and then video problems...

1. if you want to use HDMI and you don't have the PS3 HDMI cable you will need to go buy one
1.2 that said, if you want to use speakers and your monitor doesn't exactly provide audio out while HDMI is being used you will need to get PS3 HDMI adapter that splits Video and Audio signals, so you can splice the audio to your stereo and video to the monitor.

I already have a HDMI cable, as I noted, at least, I think I did. Is there really no other way? And no, my monitor doesn't have a built-in sound system.

Quote:

2. black and white dots in random pattern (there's no multiple colors it's just a side effect of tubes) typically mean that the TV is getting no signal, which does not apply to LCD screens, so unless that is what the game is supposed to look like, I don't know what's causing that. There's a possibility you hooked the leads wrong. Yellow one goes into your AV jack, red and white go to sound ports(if you got any on your TV/monitor) otherwise you can plug those into your stereo/speakers.

No, no, you're getting it all wrong. I'm not using those cable-things. I'm connecting my monitor and my PS3 directly with a HDMI cable. I usually conenct my monitor to my PC with just a hdmi cable, and so I simply disconnected it from my PC and connected it to the PS3.

Quote:
The games may be trying to run in 720p or higher which requires an HDMI cable from the ps3 to the tv. If you are using the red, yellow, and white, the best you will get is 480i.

Nope, using a HDMI Cable. I just noted that I have those, because I regularly connect to my TV, which has no HDMI support. Also, the most notable part is the fact that it isn't fulslcale. It's like ... blinking, and only the bottom half of the screen. The top hlaf is completely unaffected, I can see completely fine. The bottom half blinks every half a second; into that classic white/black screen (http://skins19.wincustomize.com/8/40/840864/40/9/previe...) and then back to Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood.
Score
June 21, 2011 5:15:23 PM

hmm, check if your monitor has an audio out so that you can hook up a sound system thru that

regarding the blinking/nosignal, Im guessing you don't experience anything like that while using the cable with PC-to-monitor setup. Unless there's some PS3 setting that you can adjust so it knows you are going through HDMI cable instead of regular AV (I personally have no idea I don't have a PS3) it could be that you have a faulty HDMI port in your PS3 (seems like you're are loosing signal on half of the port, so maybe some pins are malfunctioning) Check that there's no dust/etc in the port on PS3 and that no pins are bent.
Score
June 21, 2011 5:33:31 PM

677300,6,864860 said:
hmm, check if your monitor has an audio out so that you can hook up a sound system thru that

regarding the blinking/nosignal, Im guessing you don't experience anything like that while using the cable with PC-to-monitor setup.

Nope. Same case with the TV; when I hook up the PC to my monitor, it's all fine. When I hook up my PS3 to my TV, it's all fine. It's something in specifi between the monitor and PS3 ..

Quote:

Unless there's some PS3 setting that you can adjust so it knows you are going through HDMI cable instead of regular AV (I personally have no idea I don't have a PS3) it could be that you have a faulty HDMI port in your PS3 (seems like you're are loosing signal on half of the port, so maybe some pins are malfunctioning) Check that there's no dust/etc in the port on PS3 and that no pins are bent.

The thing is, is that I use the same cable for my Monitor --> PS3 as the Monitor -- PC, and I have no such problems with the PC. Also, I bought this cable two weeks ago after the old one's pins broke. Also, I can't seem to find any pins. I believe the pins are located under the metal ... casing, of sorts, on the HDMI cable? I assume I'm seeing only the edges; they don't seem at all bent.

[/quote]
Score

Best solution

June 21, 2011 8:09:52 PM

Zamoonda said:
I was about to say that I wanted a bit more variety in my gaming life; but then I heard the part about the connecting to the PC. Really? That's great. I've got double GTX 475, as well as quad and windows 7 64bit. But then what's the point of a PS3? Also, unfortunately I pirated my PC version of AC:B, I first purchased it on the PS3, but I saw it ridiculous to purchase the same game twice for no good reason. (Thus no multiplayer)

Quote:

I already have a HDMI cable, as I noted, at least, I think I did. Is there really no other way? And no, my monitor doesn't have a built-in sound system.

Quote:

No, no, you're getting it all wrong. I'm not using those cable-things. I'm connecting my monitor and my PS3 directly with a HDMI cable. I usually conenct my monitor to my PC with just a hdmi cable, and so I simply disconnected it from my PC and connected it to the PS3.

Quote:

Nope, using a HDMI Cable. I just noted that I have those, because I regularly connect to my TV, which has no HDMI support. Also, the most notable part is the fact that it isn't fulslcale. It's like ... blinking, and only the bottom half of the screen. The top hlaf is completely unaffected, I can see completely fine. The bottom half blinks every half a second; into that classic white/black screen (http://skins19.wincustomize.com/8/40/840864/40/9/previe...) and then back to Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood.

dude if you have a PC with a GTX 475 in SLI then there is no point playing the game on the PS3, wait until the game in on discount on PC. get it for 10-15 usd. PS3 barely runs this game between 25-30fps 720p (even if you did manage to get your PS3 running on your monitor u will see jaggies every where since PS3 hardly does any AA).

Ps3 is mostly only good for its exclusives. When it comes to multiplat games PC wins hands down. Specially a GTX475 in sli is so awesome.
June 21, 2011 9:56:34 PM

All right, my thanks! I'll be purchasing it on the PC then, and connecting my ... what do you call it. Joystick? Not joystick ... it does a have joystick on it anyway, my thingie to my computer. Thanks for your help and information, guys!
Score
June 21, 2011 9:59:05 PM

Best answer selected by Zamoonda.
Score
June 22, 2011 4:07:28 PM

it's commonly called a controller
Score
February 25, 2012 12:58:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!