dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I heard that DDR development has been scrapped due to its poor sales and also due to the plummeting prices of Rambus/P4 systems. Apparently Asus, Gigabyte, and MSi have all stopped making DDR motherboards, which might explain why it's becoming increasingly difficult to get one, and why DDR ram is constantly dropping in price. Has anyone else heard anything about this? This really sucks because I was wanting to build a new system w/ DDR tech and now I don't know what to do. Do I buy it while I have the chance or go another route? If anyone has any helpful advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I haven't heard anything like that. Where did you hear that from?

Usually when prices go down it means that the supply exceeds the demand, so if they stopped producing DDR-SDRAM modules, wouldn't the prices be going up?

Just a thought...

Anyway, I think you'll be okay with building a DDR-SDRAM system. Everyone always talks about "upgrade paths" but the truth of the matter is that all of the technologies change so fast that when it's time to upgrade you end up having to just re-buy everything anyway...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Thats funny. Samsung just announced that they are going to start shipping 300MHz DDR chips that are 64bit. That to me doesn't sound like they are dropping it, it sounds like they are improveing it. And we all know they don't wast money improving a dieing product.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

baron

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Also means that production stop = new product is coming. This sudden stop made me realize to wait a little longer to see what is coming out. Has to be significant increase in performance to make all of them to halt production. Like when the Intel FX chipset was replaced by Intel LX chipset. FX only lived for 2 months then it died rather quickly.

IMacs for the blind

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
If thats the case, then it will give me a reason to ditch this dam K7T266 motherboard. OH did I say that out loud? Sorry I love my motherboard, even though is suffers from ADHD.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

G

The only thing I see plummeting about Rambus is their stock price...DDR is here to stay. It's well-entrenched in video cards, and is becoming the standard for system DRAM as well. ASUS' A7M266 and A7A266 are both in production, although the A7M266 can be somewhat hard to track down.