So what motherboard should i buy when using PIII?

dieharddave

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2001
I am about to put together a server for my house. I am thinking of using a motherboard that has a dual processor with two Intel PIII. Does anybody have any recommendations of what motherboard i should use?
Thanks,
Dave

G

the best option for dual PIII's under 850 would have to be (in my opinion) the Tyan tiger 100. these are hard to find since they're discontinued. but, man, they ROCK! use the 440bx chip (superb stability) and supprt for coppermine to 850 mhz. other than that, for a basic home-use server the Tyan tiger 133 is also excellent. it runs on the Apollo chipset from Via. I runa couple of systems witht his chipset, and its older brothers, and have to admit that it performs very well but is a high maintenance wench! constant tweaking and bugs. Once you get the VIa chips all configured right, they do kick ass, but what you want in a server is quiet, never hick-up, stability. track down a tiger 100 and be a proud man.......

ignore everything i say

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Dave,

The Tyan Tiger 133 is supposed to be a decent board (provided we're talking about PIII SECC 2 CPU's). 2cpu.com had a review of it you can check out(once their server is up again). If are going to use slot 1 cpu's, and you want a high end mobo, look at the Supermicro PIIIDRE and DR3.
These will run you some serious cash($350-DRE $550+ for the DR3),
and they do require RDRAM, but they're rock solid. With the i840 chipset and RDRAM outperforming DDR SDRAM at about the same price... I have a PIIIDRE, and it's great.

Good luck.

Dave

"This was no boating accident"