Is PC gaming resurrecting?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
June 21, 2011 8:06:53 PM

2nd official question for you guys...

I have been a gamer since I was sitting on my dads lap, playing DOOM on the PC back in the mid 90s. I am now 20 years old, so I've grew up in gaming. My question for discussion is: is PC gaming resurrecting now? I know the PC has been losing its good name over the past few years, as the xbox360 and ps3 have been very popular for the hardcore gaming crowd. However, I still love PC gaming. I am finding now that as games are becoming, stronger.. so to speak, with newer engines, 3d capabilities, bigger worlds to explore, and sharper graphics... I wonder if consoles and PCs are really going to part ways even more, or if there can be true fluid cross platforming between the PC and the console games. We all know the common debate: PC games play better, but the machine is more expensive. Console games don't look as good, but are cheaper, and you can play on a bigger screen, and local play is easier.

Also, when I first started gaming, PCs were crazy expensive, and not everyone had one, and even less people had highspeed internet! Now that almost everyone has a PC that is considered "game capable" and highspeed internet is a norm nowadays, is this more of a reason for PC games to rise up strong in the market? I mean, come on, my great grandmother who is 84 can play games online.

More about : gaming resurrecting

June 21, 2011 8:21:16 PM

Redfox27 said:
2nd official question for you guys...

I have been a gamer since I was sitting on my dads lap, playing DOOM on the PC back in the mid 90s. I am now 20 years old, so I've grew up in gaming. My question for discussion is: is PC gaming resurrecting now? I know the PC has been losing its good name over the past few years, as the xbox360 and ps3 have been very popular for the hardcore gaming crowd. However, I still love PC gaming. I am finding now that as games are becoming, stronger.. so to speak, with newer engines, 3d capabilities, bigger worlds to explore, and sharper graphics... I wonder if consoles and PCs are really going to part ways even more, or if there can be true fluid cross platforming between the PC and the console games. We all know the common debate: PC games play better, but the machine is more expensive. Console games don't look as good, but are cheaper, and you can play on a bigger screen, and local play is easier.

Also, when I first started gaming, PCs were crazy expensive, and not everyone had one, and even less people had highspeed internet! Now that almost everyone has a PC that is considered "game capable" and highspeed internet is a norm nowadays, is this more of a reason for PC games to rise up strong in the market? I mean, come on, my great grandmother who is 84 can play games online.

Been a PC gamer since 1995, consoles never impressed me. Bought a PS2 back when it launched. Only game i really played on it was GT3 rest of the time it was left collecting dust, until the day i disposed of it. Didnt bother with the Xbox 360 or the PS3.

I dont think PC gaming had died to be ressurected in the first place. infact i think its only been getting stronger and stronger. If you look at it. Consoles only do FPS, racing and action genre well(though FPS is still superior on PC by a large margin).

Consoles are completely missing on genres like MMO, RTS thats 2 big genres for me atleast. Aside a handful of exclusives every year i dont see much in them. I dont really see a exclusive in 2011 to date on consoles that impresses me. Only one worth raising an eyebrow is uncharted 3 thats about it.

Overall this year with games like Shogun 2, witcher 2, Dawn of war 2 retribution and the upcoming BF3(i know its on console too however its just not the same experience i would call the PC version a exclusive) releasing on PC i think PC gaming is going stronger then ever.
m
l
June 23, 2011 4:20:22 AM

PC gaming since somewhere around Ultima (probable it's even earlier then that, I'm an apple (2) user originally). I personally think the more you can bring writers and artist on board to tell a story the better the product, after all computers are merely tools and pretty crappy ones at times.

I've never really thought the PC game market was dead, just that you had to hunt for the better creative tittles.
m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2011 5:16:24 AM

I've always loved PC games way more than consoles. To me, PCs are for solo gaming sessions (including online multiplayer) and consoles are for multiplayer with people in the same room.

I just can't... aim... with... joysticks......
m
l
June 23, 2011 5:39:18 AM

Graemewp said:
I've always loved PC games way more than consoles. To me, PCs are for solo gaming sessions (including online multiplayer) and consoles are for multiplayer with people in the same room.

I just can't... aim... with... joysticks......

LOL seconded!
m
l
June 23, 2011 2:40:21 PM

I can aim with joysticks just fine... Its just slow... and crappy and inferior to kb/m

on topic, I would ask you to tell me when exactly the pc gaming market died.
I have been hearing that PC gaming is going to die for about 10 years now and still it hasnt happened.
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:17:24 PM

I remember the old days of Monkey island and then Dark Forces and Duke nukem When i was a kid.... ive never left PC gaming behind. I own the consoles for the exclusives, but will never give up on my PC for my main outlet for gaming
m
l
June 23, 2011 4:03:24 PM

Personally, I think the PC market took a huge hit with the release of the xbox360 and the ps3. The hardcore PC gamers are still chasing the best hardware and accessories for their PC to maximize their gaming experience. While a new era of console gamers have come around, an era of *satisfied gamers. I put the asterisk next to satisfied because, yes, they are NEVER satisfied with what the games deliver, they are satisfied with the hardware.

I just feel now that console gaming owns such a large portion of the market, that gamers don't feel the need to go out and start building a power rig, the funds from developers and publishers seem to be pushing more towards console gaming and more away from PC gaming. Hence, PC gaming slowly dying as legitimate form of the art.

Personally, I own the 3 major consoles, and am currently building a new gaming PC to replace my 2009 "media" laptop.
m
l