Counter Strike Source Stutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I just recently started having these issues where my game will stutter and loop the last sound played and then resume and it will happen quiet frequently. I tried all the fixes the one with regedit, the adding -thread and nosound (which worked actually) I reinstalled my drivers and restarted. The game is essentially unplayable at this point. Ever couple of seconds I get the hiccup lag and a sound loop. When I have net graph on after the lag ends I notice my ping shoot up to 100-150 range and then slowly works it way down till it happens again. Someone please for the love of god help me fix this. Turning off sound I though worked, but recently just found out it does not.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
A new development on the issue. I noticed that my CPU was spiking when I get the stutters so I brought up the task manager and switch to it right after the stutter and sure enough the HL2.exe cpu rating was around 11 and slowly went back to 1-2 range. I dunno what is causing this I have scanned countless times for viruses and disable all extra services and background applications.

mute20

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Are you using either superantispyware or malwarebytes they are the best. Also make sure you use 1 active anti virus as more than 1 will conflict(Microsoft essentials, avast,nod32, etc.

bckai2003

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I have the same problem. It went away for a while, but then I just got an update, and it started happening again. I don't know what the issue is.

I run a I7-2600k with 8gb ram, and 6850s in crossfire. It's weird, it was running fine, then that issue popped up, went away, I just got an update from steam for source games, and it started happening again.

I would also like to know if you've found a fix for this or if anyone out there knows.

bckai2003

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009

I don't know. I know that after an update, after quitting out of Source games, I would get a Windows error: "HL2.exe has stopped working."

Tonight I got a new update for Counter Strike: Source, and Team Fortress 2. Team Fortress 2 seems to be working fine now. It used to stutter a while back, but that seems to have remedied itself. Counter Strike stopped stuttering for about a month, but after tonight, it came back even worse than before.

It's really annoying because I love playing those two games, but with that issue, I'm inclined to not play at all. Luckily TF2 seems to be stable. No error after quit, and no stuttering. But CS:S, now that's all kinds of messed up for me.

I've disabled multicore rendering, and I've tried a multitude of things over the past few months, but nothing seems to work, although like I said, it was stuttering for about a month or so before this update tonight.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
YEA! I get that same error after I stop playing CS:S I search all over, but the only cases of it are people getting it trying to start the game not quiting out of it! Whats your specs man I wonder if its something we have:
It's ASUS G72 laptop.
CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260m 1gb Dedicated
RAM: 6 GB

his specs are in the post above, they are quite a lot better than yours.

what are your rates set to? what is the server expecting? this could be a network issue, since I don't see any problems with hardware that could cause a bottleneck for such an old engine.
the spike in cpu usage is most likely from network lag when cpu tries to work out all the network data that gets dropped on it (I didn't watch the vid, but you probably see some extra fast animations right after the lag)

any chance you got something running in background that could cause network hickups? what is your typical average ping before the lag happens?

I can't recall for sure (been a while since I've fiddled with css) but can you run it under compatibility mode?

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I set my rates lower, but ive set thhem to a ton of different ones

rate has been set to 18000,20000,and 25000

cl_updaterate has been set to 60,40, and 30

cl_cmdrate also set to 60,40, and 30

Nothing is running in the background I assure you.

bckai2003

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I may have figured out my particular issue, however I haven't had much time to test it out.

One specific thing I didn't post above was that I also have a Bigfoot Networks Killer 2100 card for networking. A bit extraneous, I admit, but I wanted to try it out. In any case, it comes with a QoS software that monitors PC CPU usage, as well as network traffic. I didn't think about it before considering that I've had the card for quite some time, and I recycled it from an older machine which ran a E8400 Core 2 Duo, on which CS:S was running absolutely fine.

Now, last night, I had an epiphany, and I disabled the software in my task tray, and I ran the game for a bit. Now, I also run Tomato Firmware on a WRT54GL that has it's own QoS that's presumably much better since it will control all the computers on the network, rather than just what's coming into my gaming machine. After disabling the Bigfoot software, I played about 20 minutes last night, and there was no noticeable stutter whatsoever. Now, I'm not sure that it's completely gone, since I'll have to test a little more, but that may be what was afflicting my machine. But, again, I had this software on two machines now, and the issue has only manifested itself rather recently.

So I'm going to try testing in a little bit for a bit longer and see if the problem's gone and I'll post back.

But see if you have any resource monitoring software running in the background. That may be the culprit.

bckai2003

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Yeah for me, it was the CPU usage monitoring program that the Bigfoot Networks software has. I disabled it, and it runs without any stuttering it seems. However, I still get the "HL2.exe has stopped working" error after quitting out of game. (If anyone knows about this, please let me know).

I remember that I used to have CPU monitoring software on my old machine from gigabyte that came with the motherboard. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was causing Left 4 Dead to skip. Turns out that was it. I don't think source games plays well with those types of softwares.

If you don't have anything that's like that running in the background, you can try renaming your steamapps folder to "old.steamapps" then restart steam and just redownload CS:S. Try running it, and see if it still happens. If it does, you can rename old.steamapps back so you don't have to redownload the other games.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I already did a complete reinstall of CS:S it didnt fix the HL2.exe problem or the stuttering I have nothing running that I know what gives? My CPU spikes when the stuttering has I know that much and its happens frequently sometimes and not so much the others.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

Not sure what the server is expecting rates, they typically limit it to 60 for updaterate and cmdrate. Watch the video I don't get any fast animations it just goes back to normal (well normal as in what happened while I was in my lag coma). I can't think of anything running in the background that would cause this, is there a way to show what I am running on here? My average ping is around 60ish. You can run hl2.exe thats in the counter strike source folder in compatibility mode im going to try win xp sp3 right now. Edit: Didn't work.

when you're on the server, typically if you type in rates in all chat the server will pm you the rates it expects.

why is your ping so high? does this lag happen if you connect to a 5ms server?

what ISP do you have and where do you live (state)?

do you have anyone else sitting on your connection? is there a router in your network? is the QoS set for gaming/hl2.exe?

background, you can take a screenshot of the task manager processes tab and upload it to imageshack.us then post the forum links to here.

I'll try to remember to check out the video when I get home (i can't access it at work), although I'm pretty sure I know what I will be seeing.

Bakuryu42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
yea the rate the restrict to is 60 for both updaterate and cmdrate. I tried this one a 30ms server same thing the spike isnt as high, but the stutter still happens.

That ping isnt that high I consider 80+ high.

I have Service Electirc/Pen Tele Data in PA

I have alot of connections (4-5), but the stutter still happened when I have only mine running. I have a router, im not sure how to configure QoS, so no.

heres an image of the task manager one shows while or a bit after I get a spike the other just shows all of what I am running.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/taskmanagerq.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/taskmanager2.jpg/

well lol, that "nothing is running in background" seems like actually a lot. Right after the spike you got explorer + rss reader taking up cpu (possibly network too) I'm not sure what the reason is. Try disabling the RSS reader and turning off firefox while playing.

I also don't know what ALU.exe is.

try to minimize your network footprint and see if that helps any.

Status
Not open for further replies.