Sign in with
Your question

Games Crashing, Need help finding out why.

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2011 3:23:09 AM

I just upgraded my GPU from a 4870 to a HIS 2gb 6950. I performed a clean install of windows 7 and installed the newest GFX driver updates(11.6) which I got from the AMD/ATI website. Games like Civilization 5, and normal computing and web surfing are fine. However, when I try to run high end 3D games like The Witcher 2 and Fear 3, the game will randomly crash after 4-10 mins of gameplay, often my computer will restart itself afterwords, though sometimes it will just sit at a blue screen. Occasionally it will bring me to a BSOD, but not always. I have done memory tests, though I did not think that was the problem as I just got the new GFX card. I uninstalled the drivers in safe mode with driver sweeper, and installed 11.5 instead to see if that worked any better. No dice. Still crashing. Windows 7 is all up to date, except for a failed 6*** series GFX driver update, which I assumed did not work since I already have drivers installed.
MY computer specs:
GPU: HIS 2gb 6950
CPU: AMD 955 Black Ed.
Ram: 6gb 10666 DDR 3
MOBO: Asus M4A77TD PRO AM3 DDR3 AMD 770
HD: Two 1tb 7200rpm Seagates(Raid 0)
Power supply: 600W

More about : games crashing finding

June 22, 2011 4:54:38 AM

Have you checked your temperatures? Get some temperature-monitoring software like Speedfan or Hardware Monitor. Load seems to be the problem, which would suggest temperature as the issue.
m
l
June 22, 2011 3:50:14 PM

if games are patched.......even if not, go to Windows Update and see what it has for your machine. the driver you listed is not the latest one.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 4:39:27 PM

as kaj suggests its likely to be a temps problem. if your running an oc turn it down or off and see if the games play longer...
also have you turned on hpet mode in bios?
m
l
June 22, 2011 4:46:21 PM

when you used drive cleaner........ didn't uninstall any other drivers than the ONE you were supposed to....... and using drive cleaner isn't the first way to try........ add/remove first. DC is only for stub born issues and not needed as some people would suggest. get your disc that came with the mother board and see if your mother board needs anything off it.
m
l
June 22, 2011 4:48:46 PM

name and model of power supply
m
l
June 23, 2011 9:35:49 PM

Ok, thanks for replies everyone. So, just so we are all up to date. In an effort to solve the problems I updated the bios and south bridge drivers. This improved my situation quite a bit. I was able to play fear 3 for hours with no crash. Tried Team Fortress 2 for a few hours, that also ran smooth. Same story for Dungeon Siege 3, up til just now. I thought I was in the clear, but an in game cut scene of a skeleton appearing blue screened me. Just sat there at a blue screen. I don't think its my Power supply, due to the fact that I've had it for a few years running my 4870 with no probs. My temps right after the crash+restart were around 45 degrees for my gpu. Processor cores all under 40. Witcher 2 still crashes the most, but I've heard that game is buggy for many. As I said before, Windows all up to date except for it wanting to update my graphics driver even though I had the newest one. So, the problem is much better than it was, but I am worried that it could be a hardware problem with my new gpu. It is weird the game would suddenly crash like that considering my system specs. I do have a clean install of Windows, but I did not have a driver disk, so maybe I missed some important ones? Or did not update some? I think thats why updating South Bridge drivers helped so much. I will play some more games, and check temps after an hour or two of playing. Should I try going back up to newest driver?
m
l
June 23, 2011 9:58:57 PM

glad to hear some stuff helped so far. the thing with windows wanting to install a driver....... try this. go into the device manager. 'uninstall' the graphics card from there. reboot. let windows find the "new hardware" after reboot and install the driver for it. see how things go. if fine, that's good. you can install the latest driver and CCC in the future if need be.

if you get another blue screen hit the page break button to freeze the screen and see what information you can pull off it. post here. maybe somebody can interpret it and give you suggestions.
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:04:31 PM

Ahh, it happened again. I had been playing CIV 5 for almost 2 hours, then I minimized it to go on youtube and it gave me another blue screen. These are not BSOD's as far as I know, b/c nothing is on the blue screen...its just....blue. My power supply is a generic Cyberpower brand. If they even have a brand...all I see is their sticker on it. I am going to try to use Swifty's tactic and see if it helps, though I am not holding my breath.
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:34:52 PM

just a suggestion- but if that power supply has a label on it and the amperage is less than 50 under the 12v i'd get a better ps for starters.
m
l
June 24, 2011 12:21:18 PM

you may also want to check your event logs in control panel/ admintools/eventvieiwer to see if theres any soft fails b4 the crash.
if you get a propper bsod with error codes and crash info. put the 0x00000000 number up her along with the short error message like error: irq not equal or less than...
m
l
June 24, 2011 12:41:06 PM

the problem may be in the power supply... It may be to weak..
m
l
July 1, 2011 12:22:32 AM

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 6/30/2011 5:03:47 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Death_b0t
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-07-01T00:03:47.104056800Z" />
<EventRecordID>16582</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Death_b0t</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

This is what the most recent and previous crashes said from the event log. Should I buy a new PSU right now or continue trying other methods?
m
l
July 1, 2011 10:25:43 AM

kernal power event 41, just means your cpu lost power. it often happens after a reset.
you want the errors leading up to it.
m
l
July 1, 2011 4:00:06 PM

Try disabling your onboard sound. I had that problem with BBC2.
m
l
!