Sign in with
Your question

Crysis 2 DX11 is out!!!

Last response: in Video Games
June 22, 2011 2:24:33 PM

Get the 3 patches here:

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/download-the-cry...

Quote:
Hi guys,

Below are the patch notes for Patch 1.9, this is also the patch that will enable DX11 Support (available via a separate download). We're aiming to have this patch live and available to you all next week. As always we're interested to hear your comments/thoughts on these changes so please post them below.

Crysis 2 Patch 1.9

• Added Contact Shadows
• Added DX11 benchmark level
• Added DX11 support for Crysis 2 (the following features only work when downloading the optional DX11 package here):
• - Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• - High Quality HDR Motion Blur
• - Realistic Shadows with Variable Penumbra
• - Sprite Based Bokeh Depth of Field
• - Parallax Occlusion Mapping
• - Particles Motion Blur, Shadows and Art Updates
• - Water Rendering improvements and using Tessellation + Displacement Mapping
• Added Realtime Local Reflections
• Added support for Higher Res Textures Package
• Added various new console variables to whitelist
• Fixed bullet penetration, which had been broken by a bug introduced with the DLC 2 patch
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats weren't always saved at the end of a game
• Fixed issue in MP where player stats would sometimes randomly reset
• Fixed issue with MP time played statistic, which would sometimes be too low on leaderboards and in stats
• Fixed issue with JAW rocket not firing through window's containing broken glass
• Fixed rare issue where a user could not access MP with a valid CD key if they had previously used an invalid CD key
• Improved advanced graphics options menu
• Improved anti-cheat measurements: fixed exploit which could prevent vote kicking working against a user
• Improved multi-GPU support
• Improved Tone Mapping
• Re-added possibility to enable r_StereoSupportAMD via config file (unsupported)

Original Thread:
https://secure.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t...

More about : crysis dx11

June 22, 2011 3:38:05 PM

"Improved advanced graphics options menu "

does this mean you will be able to configure graphics like in Crysis 1. and not just 3 different options....very excited. i never actually thought they would release it
m
l
June 22, 2011 10:03:19 PM

I might replay it next year.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 11:06:08 PM

Goood, finally get to see what cryengine3 will look like.
m
l
June 23, 2011 5:03:05 AM

I will believe it when I see it.
m
l
June 23, 2011 6:55:12 AM

Question is, why bring our slice of the cake late? Who at Crytek thought it'd be a good idea to leave PC Gamers sitting out in the rain? :/ 

Anyway, better late than never I guess.

-Nih
m
l
June 23, 2011 1:52:47 PM

Hopefully it will get some more people playing MP again...
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:03:16 PM

Crytek are like that dood that comes late to the party after everyone is already drunk and starting to stagger home and fall asleep. " uh yeah, come on in for a bit, but you cant stay very long, where the hell were you ?"
m
l
June 27, 2011 5:09:34 PM

its out! and its awesome!
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:29:08 AM

Good thing I had other games to play in the mean-time - for me, that update is right on schedule... thanks, Crytek.
m
l
June 28, 2011 6:45:38 PM

Picking up where I left off. I completely dropped playing C2 when it was announced they were going to have a DX11 patch.

Now it's been so long, I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing and my skills are rusty!

BTW, bricks look really good now... anyone else notice some obvious improvements? I hope console fanboyz see the difference.
m
l
June 28, 2011 10:01:12 PM

they do. they were crowing about it on prodigits yesterday...
claims that pc gaming is dead just got laughed at... poor guys. should have sent there consoles back and got refunds instead of getting them fixed 6 and 7 times. and they have the cheek to call pc gamers mugs.
m
l
June 28, 2011 11:25:08 PM

Will the installation of DX11 disallow proper playing of other games that only use DX9?
m
l
June 28, 2011 11:27:13 PM

ram1009 said:
Will the installation of DX11 disallow proper playing of other games that only use DX9?

No, this is a patch to enable you to use DX11 in this game particularly. If your card is not a DX11 card, then you just wont be able to play in DX11, but rather DX9 or 10 depending on hwat gen card you have
m
l
June 29, 2011 1:01:09 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
No, this is a patch to enable you to use DX11 in this game particularly. If your card is not a DX11 card, then you just wont be able to play in DX11, but rather DX9 or 10 depending on hwat gen card you have

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I have a DX11 capable card but as yet do not have DX11 installed because I didn't have any games to use it. I have downloaded the Crysis 2 patch but it requires DX11 to be installed to use it. My question is, if I install DX11 for Crysis 2 will my other DX9 games still run OK?
m
l
June 29, 2011 1:09:14 AM

yes. Your card is DX11, but it isnt necessarily a program to interfere with all the games you have, just the game in question. I have a DX11 card, and play witcher 2 (DX9) just fine as well as metro 2033, and crysis 2 DX11
m
l
June 29, 2011 1:10:18 AM

your drivers should be compatible with any currently used version of DX 9-11
m
l
June 29, 2011 3:24:13 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
your drivers should be compatible with any currently used version of DX 9-11

I guess what I was afraid of is that DX11 might overwrite DX9 and then be incompatible with the other games
m
l
June 29, 2011 4:03:29 AM

ram1009 said:
I guess what I was afraid of is that DX11 might overwrite DX9 and then be incompatible with the other games

If you have Windows 7, you already have DX11 installed, which includes all the DX versions below it. The download is only for that game to run in DX11. If you have Windows XP, you don't have DX11, and can't install or use it.
m
l
June 29, 2011 11:50:13 AM

bystander said:
If you have Windows 7, you already have DX11 installed, which includes all the DX versions below it. The download is only for that game to run in DX11. If you have Windows XP, you don't have DX11, and can't install or use it.

I'm running XP Pro. I was wondering why Windows Update hadn't installed DX 11. Just another (not so subtle) hint from Bill to buy W7.
m
l
June 29, 2011 12:13:01 PM

if your running xp then you wont have dx11 avaiable to you any ways so no, dont even bother getting the patch as it wont work on that o.s.
m
l
June 29, 2011 12:24:42 PM

HEXiT said:
if your running xp then you wont have dx11 avaiable to you any ways so no, dont even bother getting the patch as it wont work on that o.s.

Too late!!!
m
l
June 29, 2011 4:15:15 PM

According to this review, there are some DX9 enhancements with the upgrade that make it worth while for XP users to take advantage of:

Quote:
After installing the update, folks running Crysis 2 in DX9 will gain real-time local reflections and contacts shadows.
m
l
June 29, 2011 8:47:40 PM

rwpritchett said:
According to this review, there are some DX9 enhancements with the upgrade that make it worth while for XP users to take advantage of:

Quote:
After installing the update, folks running Crysis 2 in DX9 will gain real-time local reflections and contacts shadows.

Thx. Love your dog!!
m
l
June 29, 2011 9:45:32 PM

ram1009 said:
I'm running XP Pro. I was wondering why Windows Update hadn't installed DX 11. Just another (not so subtle) hint from Bill to buy W7.

should bill keep updating windows 95 and 2000 too? its been four years gotta cut the tie sometime. besides windows 7 is 20 bucks in you know the right people, aka a college student.
m
l
June 29, 2011 11:50:51 PM

cbrunnem said:
should bill keep updating windows 95 and 2000 too? its been four years gotta cut the tie sometime. besides windows 7 is 20 bucks in you know the right people, aka a college student.

I will stop using the OS when it stops doing what I want it to do or it is no longer supported. I said nothing about 95, 98 or 2000. W7 is nothing but a reshuffle of Xp from a user viewpoint. I will hold out for W8 or possibly till 2014 when XP support ends.
m
l
June 29, 2011 11:52:45 PM

Don't you desire to see the new DX11 effects? You could always try a dual boot setup, so you can try it out.
m
l
June 30, 2011 12:49:30 AM

ram1009 said:
I will stop using the OS when it stops doing what I want it to do or it is no longer supported. I said nothing about 95, 98 or 2000. W7 is nothing but a reshuffle of Xp from a user viewpoint. I will hold out for W8 or possibly till 2014 when XP support ends.

you overshot my point. at some point MS has to stop updating xp and its not economical for them to make xp have dx11.

im afraid that by the time W8 or 2014 that there will be no games supporting dx9 so drop the 20 bucks for W7
m
l
June 30, 2011 1:08:42 AM

Quote:
you overshot my point. at some point MS has to stop updating xp and its not economical for them to make xp have dx11.

im afraid that by the time W8 or 2014 that there will be no games supporting dx9 so drop the 20 bucks for W7

As I said, if XP stops doing what I want it to do( i.e.games ) I will upgrade, of course. It just doesn't make any sense until then regardless of price. Besides, arent there restrictions on what version of the student software are available at discount? One thing I don't want is an OEM version of any OS. The day is fast approaching when we will only be able to rent all software. I'm in no hurry to expedite that.
m
l
June 30, 2011 1:42:22 AM

20 bucks windows ultimate Purdue University
m
l
June 30, 2011 10:37:19 AM

As far as I'm concerned, Crysis 2 just came out.
m
l
June 30, 2011 6:21:24 PM

YAY HURRAY!!!, btw im sarcastic.

Really, guys do you really need to see the super duper High Quality HDR Motion Blur??? or super tessellated faces?? and does it change the gameplay and the level of entertainement???, no.
m
l
June 30, 2011 6:29:19 PM

bloc97 said:
YAY HURRAY!!!, btw im sarcastic.

Really, guys do you really see the super duper High Quality HDR Motion Blur??? or super tessellated faces?? and does it change the gameplay and the level of entertainement???, no.

simple answer, yes
m
l
June 30, 2011 6:41:36 PM

chavo12345 said:
simple answer, yes

um.. no... Battlefield 1942 is just as good as BFBC2 in entertainment.
Same thing for crysis and crysis 2...
m
l
June 30, 2011 6:43:54 PM

Then I guess everybody should play at 800x600 with all settings set to low since visuals don't matter.
m
l
June 30, 2011 6:54:31 PM

If graphics didn't matter, we'd all be playing pong, pacman and space invaders.

Good graphics help immerse you into the environment. Graphics have gotten good enough at immersing people, that some of use experience motion sickness as a result of our brains believing that what we see is real enough that it thinks our bodies should be moving.

Sure, game play matters too, but good visuals also make a difference. Sometimes when I play games, like Lora Croft, and I come to the edge of a cliff, my stomach reacts like I was actually there.

I look forward to advances in graphics.
m
l
June 30, 2011 7:14:52 PM

who's arguing about entertainment value here? It adds to games depth, nobody said graphics are more important than the entertainment it provides. If you don't like it don't pay attention to it, jeez.
m
l
July 3, 2011 11:04:19 PM

So anyways, I got my 120hz monitor this week. I must say it's pretty awesome, but unfortunately, Crysis 2 is the only game I own which will not use 120hz in normal DX9 or DX11. I got a monitor which both supports ATI 3D and Nvidia 3D vision. It wasn't my main purpose for the monitor, but I figured it would be good to have every option available should I choose.

Anyways, long story short, I tried out the 3D abilities of the AMD setup and then put in my 470's on another machine. I must say, 3D is much better than I expected. Unlike 3D movies, were it looks like 3D still has a ways to go, on a computer, it is implemented a lot better. The reason is that every objects has a location and is focused with your binocular vision in mind, and it really works well. I was in awe. The bad news is it's annoying to wear glasses.

As a comparison, AMD's 3D feature only works in 720p and is a little more awkward to setup, but it works pretty well. However, 1080p 3D on the Nvidia setup was a lot better looking and easier to setup. You only have 2 things settings to deal with Nvidia's 3D setup. AMD has you use 3rd party software, which has a lot more features to use to make things work well. Both look pretty good, but Nvidia's setup looks a lot better.

Since I had the 470's in my machine, I decided to compare 470's to my 6950's in the benchmark. The first thing I noticed was that DX11 has a few buggy features on the Nvidia setup. Every time I started up, I'd see something weird happen. Like the last few vertical lines on the left of my screen was out of place creating a blur effect. The benchmark also caused the big eye at start up to be super imposed on the screen. It would definitely seem that the DX11 patch isn't agreeing with Nvidia atm. I still ran the benchmark to get an idea what they are performing like, and I was about 10 FPS lower.

The good news about it all that my 470's are staying cooler (and quieter) as a result of my new enclosure compared to the Antec 902, and 3D is a lot more awesome than anticipated. I'll see how long before glasses annoy me.
m
l
July 3, 2011 11:57:45 PM

Meh, bit too late for me. Good news for someone new to the game though. I already played though and beat the game at release, and it was good, but not amazing story wise. A visual update wont fix the story issues or suddenly make the game far more exciting after its been played through once already. Pretty much felt the same way about Crysis 2 as I did Duke Nukem Forever. B- titles. Good solid games, but not godly.
m
l
July 4, 2011 12:16:24 AM

prolly the best graphics this year to date though
m
l
!