686B Southbridge

G

I was thinking of buying a MSI K7T Turbo (kt133a), but it has the infamous 686B southbridge. I know about the Soundblaster Live! problems, but I have also heard of other problems, such as corrupting large files during transfer. Does anyone know any other issues that it might have? Is the huge file transfer corruption a real issue? Thanks for your time.

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_compare.shtml?&dprid=1163079" target="_new">http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_compare.shtml?&dprid=1163079</A>

G

i have the k7t turbo running here in my lab and think it rocks! Extremely stable. I am not running an SBLIVE in the machine, nor do i transfer large files ( i believe the issue only pertained to files over 100 mb), so i cant say the problems arent real. i just havent had them. VIA swears that the 4.31 4 in 1 drivers solve the file corruption issue, but i wouldnt know. I paid around 100.00 for my board and absolutely love it. I run a win 2000 server on it so i needed stability rather than features like raid and overclockability......also use an asus a7v133. now that sucker is fast!

ignore everything i say

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
yup, 686b southbridge isn't right. They should do a recall but if that happend AMD and VIA lose money. Cant do that so patch it. Go for ALI or SIS.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
>> yup, 686b southbridge isn't right.
erm... so what boards dont use that southbridge? (sdr im lookin for)

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created"~Darth Vader, Star wars

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
There are also a lot of tales about USB problems with the VIA chips. I have USB problems on my A7V133, but haven't noticed the SB Live or IDE-transfer problems. If I had it to do over again I'd buy an Intel board, or wait until a really good chipset shows up for the Athlon (and wait a few months to see if there are bugs surfacing).

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may want to hold off until nVidia's Crush chipset is available. The <A HREF="http://www.socketa.com/reviews/chipsets/sis/735/" target="_new">SiS 735</A> pre-release chipset has beaten AMD's 760 chipset in at least some benchmarks, according to www.socketa.com, though it is not ready for mass production yet and no one can speak to its stability. I would recommend trying to hold off a month or so, to see how some of these new VIA alternatives look.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I haven't had any problems with my A7V133, that utilize the VIA KT133A chipset. Plus, I also have the SB Live! Value sound card. (I did my system according to Tom's Hardware DIY PC article...that needs to be updated, by the way.) I use only official BIOS and drivers from the manufacturers website. I've seen sites, like BrazilianTech, that create custom BIOSes.

Currently, running a dual-boot system between Windows 98SE and Windows 2000. I recently stopped overclocking my system, but stopped due to time limitations. But, I download <b>a lot</b> of mp3s, listen to them as well of course, read these posts, run SETI@Home whenever my computer is on, and leave AOL Instant Messenger and MSN Messenger on all the time. Transferring mp3s from my OS partition to my data partition has been relatively quick as well. (My HD is using the Primary IDE slot, not the ATA100.) So, I would say that my system is stable.

Motherboards are coming out (DDR) that look pretty good. I haven't looked into them because I don't have money to burn. Even though they use DDR, prices for RAM at <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com" target="_new">Crucial.com</A> are pretty cheap.

I hope my two cents isn't too stupid to be of any help... :smile:

<i>OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme?)</i> :eek: