xp pro vs xp home full version?

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Question: I have Windows XP Pro upgrade - updated to SP2 pack, but someone was telling to get Windows XP Pro full version, because the XP Pro upgrade funs on the Windows 98 kernal?

Question: XP Home full version - is this system just as good as XP Pro full version? I do not do networking, my built computer is just for home and gaming use!

or, what for Longhorn? I think Longhorn will be to expensive, at least for awhile.

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
XP Home should work great for your new system. Screw Win98! That OS is nothing but problems. Plus, Win98 is no longer being supported by MS. Do not buy an upgrade cd of XP and upgrade from 98. If you do then there will be a lot of problems. Buy a full version of XP. There are legal copies over at www.newegg.com that are dirt cheap.

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
For simple home use, xp home will work just fine and be a lighter load on the cpu.
If you have the win 98 cd, go ahead and buy the upgrade xp home. Durning the install, it will say it does not find a qualified os to up grade (not exact words, but u get the point) and put in the 98 cd.
It will read some dll's and be ready to continue, put your xp home upgrade cd back in and finish the install.
The point of doing it this way is to buy the upgrade version of the os, $50-$100 cheaper.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Insert the upgrade disk and begin the installation. It should just ask you to insert a previous version of Windows just to verify it. It's one extra step. It shouldn't actually install 98.

It should install a full version of XP Pro and nothing from 98.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
There's an excellent reason to get XP Pro over the Home version: the Pro version is eligible for a free upgrade to XP 64-bit when it's released later this month.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

bjpatrick

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
That is good information. Did not know that only XP Pro was eligible for a free upgrade to XP 64-bit when it's released.

Thanks for the info!

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
BUT, I thought if you are running XP Pro upgrade, and during your install, it asks for previous 98, it will load Win 98 kernel, and run XP Pro upgrade over the Win 98 kernel versus XP kernel?

RichPLS

Champion
No, XP is XP period, whatever version you get. There is no hybrid...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

It doesn't load anything... all it does is check to make sure you're eligible for the upgrade.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

riser

Illustrious
People talk and don't know things..

Windows XP Home is for home use... Windows XP Pro is for connecting to domains, that's the major difference. The reason the Pro version gets a free upgrade to 64bit is because businesses are going to be using 64bit, not home users.. The home will work perfectly fine. You probably don't have a domain and you probably know very little about what they do (they're basically only used in businesses for multiple computers, not really at home unless you're nerdly like me.)
So if you haven't already spent your money, buy Home.

Riser

tluxon

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2002
From what I understand, XP Pro provides you with more folder and file security options than XP Home. If you have multiple PCs on a home network and you want them each to share folders with the others while protecting specific files and/or folders, XP Pro may be valuable to you. I chose it primarily for that reason.

Tim

riser

Illustrious
It's a feature of a domain.. figuring most people aren't going to have a complex network running at home. You can still share out stuff on Home, but the Pro version has features designed for Domains.. If you're at home behind your firewall, you're fairly well secured unless your brother/sister or kids try to get into a share on your network..
Now in a business, you have a bunch of idiots who like to pry where they shouldn't, and then you have this smaller threat of hackers and stuff..heh. That's where the security portion comes in.
If someone gets through your firewall, figure your file sharing isn't going to do you much good.. if they were good enough to get through your firewall, getting through a password on your home PC won't pose much of a challenge in most cases..
At work, it's a different story.. the extra security really is needed.

Riser

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
Another feature in XP Pro not in Home is RDP, which is a stripped down version of full blown terminal services, but you can install the client on XP Home from Microsoft's website. Very cool utility - I'm always doing [-peep-] on my home computer from work thanks to it.

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Note The Remote Desktop Connection software is pre-installed with Windows XP. To run it, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP <b>Home Edition</b> product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform. To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection.
<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx" target="_new">Remote Desktop Connection Software Download</A>

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

sh1ft3d

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2004
I could've sworn at one point that was not included on the XP Home CD's....... but thanks for pointing that out.

--------------------------------------------
In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
XP Pro is the extended version of XP Home.

This lists what XP Home is missing compared to XP Pro:

Remote Desktop (it's a hidden feature but it's there) or you can <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx" target="_new"><font color=red>download</font color=red></A> it.
Internet Information Services
Offline Files and Folders
Scalable Processor support
Encrypting File System
Access Control
Centralized Administration
Group Policy
Software Installation and Maintenance
Roaming User Profiles
Remote Installation Service
Multilingual User Interface

If you don't need any of these Services then XP HOME is for you. I use XP Pro because I can access my computer from any terminal. I can access the computer of my customers from my computer. I can read english and german on my computer. I have to 'cause my computer is hybrid in that I have both english and german programs running. Although the Pro version is a bit more expensive, I'd suggest Pro because of it's added features and of course the option to upgrade to 64bit eventually.

In case you want an explanation of these features, go <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx" target="_new"><font color=red>here</font color=red></A>.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>