What Mobo is good for a 2000 server

DJediX

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Anyone know what mobo(cheap) would be good for a Win2000 Server...
im setting up a little network in my room so i can practice on and i want a server machine............. a cheap one! because it will only bbe supporting 1 pc...
any ideas!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Since you're only interested in this box as a server, you're probably more interested in reliability than performance. That means you'd be best off going with ALI Magik chipset. You can go with ASUS A7A266 among others.

<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/socketa/a7a266/index.html" target="_new">ASUS A7A266</A>

Hopefully you'll get a few more opinions.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

for a server i would recommend that you use a board with the 440bx chipset from intel. really, a board like this and a celeron is about as expensive as a new AMD-running board and a duron, and SO much easier to run and maintain. if you are learning to run a complicated OS like 2000 server, the last thing you need is to be faced with chipset bugs and incompatibilities.

ignore everything i say

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Gigabyte GA-7IXE4, GA-7DX, or Gigabyte GA-7DXR. All boards are very stable amd platforms. Gigabyte is very popular with oems as they build very stable, high quality boards. They are also real strong benchmark performers, on par with asus. Avoid asus boards, as they don't yet support large hard drives (80+), not to mention all asus boards are beta-ware until at least their 4th bios update. If you are running a server, then skip the sound card or use integrated sound to insure maxium stability. Forget any intel celeron system; they are quite inferior to duron systems.

-- Chaos is the better order.