Why is my fps on rift so low?

sxypants11

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I have a problem with a computer i recently started back up after having perfect fps on WoW. I'm not sure why im having such trouble with this game here is my specs.

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
BIOS Name: Default System BIOS
Video card Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Video card Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Installed Memory: 2.00 GB

If you need any other info just ask...
Edit- also it doesnt matter what setting im on its a constant 2 fps.. anyone who has experienced this knows that 2 fps is completely unplayable

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Well I'll start off by reminding you that WoW uses a very old engine which doesn't put much strain on any computers at all, unless you crank the setting all up to maximum.

Rift on the other hand is much more demanding. I hate to say it, but even when your GPU was launched, it was a budget card. It's little wonder that it struggles with Rift at the best of times, as Rift is oddly demanding of systems considering that it's an MMO (meant to appeal to the mass market). Also, your RAM is a little low. Ideally, to get maximum performance out of games you need 4GB. You can benefit from up to 8GB (if you have a 64-bit OS), but past that it becomes somewhat redundant. It's good to see that you've got a Quad Core CPU, but it's running a little slow by modern standards (2.4GHz). If you have a proper CPU cooler (NOT STOCK!) then I'd overclock a little bit just to eek out some added juice.

However, all of this doesn't account for the fact that it's running at 2FPS on ALL settings. It should correlate negatively.

Therefore, check that your drivers are all up to date.

Run registry cleaners, defrag and virus scan.

Check for processes that are hogging your memory (ctr+alt+del<Processes.) If you don't recognise them, or if they look shifty, end them.

Tell me what cooling solutions you use?

And how much wattage your PSU provides? (make and model please)

Do you notice any other issues with your PC? Are your problems just during Rift, or have you noticed other things (slowing down generally, problems with other games, crashes, BSOD, etc)?

---------------------------------

It could be that your GPU is struggling with Rift and generating a lot of heat, which is damaging it and negatively affecting performance.

But these are just random guesses, so until you answer the questions I posed and follow the preliminary steps I advised it's hard to say (for me at least - maybe someone like Hexit can help you better.)

Good luck!
-Nih

sxypants11

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Well i decided to try and play rift despite the crappy fps. and apparently no matter what setting i have it on if i stay on rift long enough my fps will suddenly spike up to perfect and stay that way for about 5 secs until going back to 2. Have you ever heard of this problem before?

yes its a gfx card bottleneck. in this case you have the exact opposite of a cpu bottleneck. your cpu is demanding fps but your cards cant keep up. then suddenly when the poly count on screen drops the fps jumps up its likely to happen when your standing in the middle of an open area that has little in the way of overall detail or close up to walls and small rooms that obscure high detail areas.
to test this join a multi-player game and have a friend walk off into the distance. then when you see your fps spike tell him/her to run towards you. i guarentee the closer he/she gets the more your fps will drop off. try the same but walking to see a more gradual effect.
your cpu isnt a bad 1@ 2.4 quad is quite reasonable for gaming. the problem is that the cpu can handle much much bigger cards b4 it would run in to problems... its quite capable of handling an sli 260 setup for instance which would give you more than x8 your current performance.
currently the 95 gt is very bottom end and having 2 of them is actually no better than having 1. because if your gfx doesn't get 30 fps by itself the micro stutter that you will get when you add a second card will totally negate any improvements you were hoping to get.

for your system a 460gtx or 560ti maximum as its likely you dont have a 1080p monitor the 1gig 460 will deliver all the performance you would ever need.@16/9 maybe even go as high as a 6850 but you would probably need to oc to get the best from it.
any of these cards would be good in your next build to get it up and running.

sxypants11

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Well i have to wait a couple days for my new video card. but while i was waitig i decided to play with a couple overclocking programs. and overclocking everything as far as it would go still showed no signs of improvement. So im thinking it might be something else causing this problem? im still seeing no difference in fps between ultra and minimum settings. maybe i just need more ram? and also ive updated all my drivers using driver scanner, but ive seen there are a couple different types of video drivers such as ion.. could installing one of those help out performance at all?

Edit- I have also been noticing a periodic lag sometimes when im on a webpage