Pavilion keyboard problem

Mike

Splendid

I am using a pavilion523n with the hp internet keyboard that came with it
from hp.I am using Microsoft's Windows Xp Home edition, not the hp one. I
have been using this OS for almost 2 years with no keyboard problem. In the
last two weeks when you boot half of the time the keyboard is inoperative
until you reboot. I have on a dozen occasions checked to make sure the
keyboard connection was tight. It was. Does anybody know if the problem is
with the keyboard or the OS? If the keyboard, can someone recommend a
replacement?
Mike

The only way to determine if the problem is keyboard or motherboard is to try
another keyboard. Are you using a keyboard extender cable or passing the
keyboard connection through a computer switch box? Either one sometimes causes
degraded electrical signals and inconsistent operation... Ben Myers

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:56:57 -0400, "Mike" <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:

>I am using a pavilion523n with the hp internet keyboard that came with it
>from hp.I am using Microsoft's Windows Xp Home edition, not the hp one. I
>have been using this OS for almost 2 years with no keyboard problem. In the
>last two weeks when you boot half of the time the keyboard is inoperative
>until you reboot. I have on a dozen occasions checked to make sure the
>keyboard connection was tight. It was. Does anybody know if the problem is
>with the keyboard or the OS? If the keyboard, can someone recommend a
>replacement?
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

Thanks for the reply. I am not using either keyboard extender or a switch
box.
Mike

> The only way to determine if the problem is keyboard or motherboard is to
> try
> another keyboard. Are you using a keyboard extender cable or passing the
> keyboard connection through a computer switch box? Either one sometimes
> causes
> degraded electrical signals and inconsistent operation... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:56:57 -0400, "Mike" <mwos@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>I am using a pavilion523n with the hp internet keyboard that came with it
>>from hp.I am using Microsoft's Windows Xp Home edition, not the hp one. I
>>have been using this OS for almost 2 years with no keyboard problem. In
>>the
>>last two weeks when you boot half of the time the keyboard is inoperative
>>until you reboot. I have on a dozen occasions checked to make sure the
>>keyboard connection was tight. It was. Does anybody know if the problem is
>>with the keyboard or the OS? If the keyboard, can someone recommend a
>>replacement?
>> Mike

It could easily be a driver problem in the OS, rather than a keyboard
or motherboard problem. You might try booting safe mode, or even a
recovery floppy made on a Win98 system to see if the hardware works
reliably.