Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
For 3 days when i try to boot the pc(not reboot) the pc dont start. I press the power and the damn thing stays dead. I have to press several times (10-15) to make it start. I changed the power polarity of the power switch cable tha goes to the mobo but still the same thing. What could be the problem?

Also when i bought my mobo, a MSI Turbo-R, after i installed it i tried to boot it with the CMOS jumper to clear for a few times (4-5) and then i changed it to the correct position. The stupid manual had the setting wrong. Is the mobo slowly dying?

My system is:

MSI Turbo-r with the 10b16 bios (beta bios bug?)
AMD 800 @980 (140 x 7 @ vcore auto) <---- oc bug?
256 Ram 133
Voodoo 3 3500 TV Out with the voodofiles drivers
Soundblaster LIVE! with liveware 3.0
Western Digital 20GB BB 7200 rpm
Teac SCSI CD-R56S
Pioneer DVD 105S
normal adaptec SCSI controller
350W PSU
fop-38 + 3 case fans
pc runs at 42C-45C (idle-full)

thanks
Palpatine

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you tried it outside the case (to be sure it wouldn't be short to the case) and with your CPU's default speed?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Sure sounds like the case power switch is messed!!! try jumping the power pins and remember this is a momentary switch so only jump it for a second or two.

G

Try the mobo with everything unpluged. All ide's, and expansion cards. Nothing should be plugged in but the cpu, ram,video card, and power supply. Try it outside the case to make sure the case isn't causing a short. Then pwr it on with a small screwdriver against the pwr jumpers. Before you do this. make sure all jumpers are set to default. Sometimes setting a jumper on the board to overclock will not work, it has to be set inside the bios. This is also true for ram jumpers. Even though the jumper is for setting the ram to 133mhz leave it at 100 mhz and set it inside cmos. (P.S. don't let anything conductive touch the board while operating outside the case. When the systems boots everytime as expected then start adding your ide's and expansion cards one by one, when the problem happens again you will know what is causing it. And then again it could be the switch. Hope this helps.

"You never truely learn it until you experience it."

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by erx121 on 06/01/01 01:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
After some tests i found that if i switch off the pc for a min or two (put the black switch on the back to 0)then the pc will boot normally. Why is this happening? Also the first time i try to boot after the pc is off 2-3 hours - but not switched off - the HDD led will light for a sec and then nothing. The second time i try to power nothing blips. Something is shorted?

Thanks for your replies
Palpatine

G

If you are referring to the black switch on the back of the tower with the symbols 0 and -., then pwr supply maybe the cause. If you suspect the pwr supply switch it with a new one. Don't buy anything less than a 300watt. I say 300watt because AMD Tbirds are known to have issues with weak pwr supplies that aren't version 2.01 compliant. This should do the trick. Good Luck.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by erx121 on 06/02/01 00:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Many people are having problems with a 300w P/S not enough power. Spend the extra money and go for nothing less than a 350w or better still 400w.

G

you need a new power supply. get a 400 w....

ignore everything i say

G

I wish I was using this forum before today. I too fell for the "kill the mobo with a misprint in the manual" trick some bored twits think is a joke. Check the CD copy of the manual and you'll find that it has pin 3 at the top contrary to the actual layout on the board. The third version of the manual on MSI's web site seem's to be the correct one. I tried swapping this board into another case but it remained just as dead. Both of my cases work fine with my older Asus board.

Has there been an MSI recall on this issue as well as the VIA North Bridge stepping issue? Seems this misprint is causing the worse damage.

alphateam

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't ever turn your computer off. That will fix it.

-Alpha
Sorry I missed church, I've been busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.