An Android Tablet? Archos Just Announced FIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hells to the yes I'm interested. I'm NOT paying 600 dollars to get a measly upgrade to the ipad from 32 to 64 gb of space. COME ON! There's no way they're making money off of prices like that.

ares1214

Splendid
Im really kinda expecting 1600x900, or atleast 1200x780 for newer ones. Sure, the competition isnt doing it, but for a screen 10 inches big, those seem do-able and reasonable. CPU is fine, although bout time to upgrade the 1 GHz A8. The rest looks pretty good, although the specs werent very in depth.

G

Tempting. However, I bought the Archos 5 two years ago. The poor quality of the hardware, software, and support put me off buying anything Archos ever again.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]The Archos 70 is Archos' 7-inch offering and other than storage and size, it's quite similar specswise to the Archos 43. This one comes in 16- and 250GB flavours, which is quite a departure from the measly 4- and 8GB we saw with the rest of the line. It's also got a Webcam in place of the HD camera. The Archos 70 is priced at $274.[/citation]
The 250GB is not a typo or anything, but it's kind of funny to read. Capacities: 4... 8... 16... 250!

ares1214

Splendid
[citation][nom]p1n3apqlexpr3ss[/nom]For the 43 one, looking at Archos' specs for it on their site, has 16gb model as wellhttp://www.archos.com/products/ta/ [...] nz&lang=enspecs are a lot more in depth there[/citation]

That model looks very promising. Seems like the specs of a really nice phone. Although thats the problem, a phone can do all this and more.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Yes - interested, very interested. I just wonder if my budget will be interested. And how do I justify it to my wife? The easy way would be to get her an iPad (yes, that's right, I'm a PC and my wife is a Mac). Of course that would mean we'd blown the budget already (heavy sigh).

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
The one that will garner most attention is the Archos 101. Packing a 10.1-inch (1024 x 600) touchscreen, the device has the same 1GHz ARM Cortex A8 processor as the 70 and 43 and shares a lot of other specs with its lower-end counterparts, including HDMI, USB, WiFi, Micro-SD and a kick stand. This one is the most expensive of the line and it's priced at $299.

All that AND it runs FroYo for $300? I'll be camping out for that one.

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I was thinking of buying an Android phone for all the extra features. Then I started looking at what the iPod Touch could do. For the same $200 I could get all the features and avoid the $30 a month for data plan. I'm not into texting so I can wait to be in a WiFi HotSpot to do my communicating. Sure I have to carry two devices but I also get to carry a $20 and $10 in my wallet every month. I may take a look at these devices but that new iPod Touch announced today looks like a winner.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Yeah Archos nailed this generation for the most part. Sadly most loyal Archos fans like me are incredibly disappointed at the lack of a 4.8" or 5" screen and low storage. However, the A43 is just such an awesome device and is completely unparalleled right now in the PMP market that I may end up getting one.

And before people starting talking about the similar phones, those are phones. $200 for the A43 which can do most of what the HTC Evo can, which costs $500 off contract. Also, the sound quality and stock Android media playback (Archos has custom apps) in these new Android smartphones is just horrible, and the iPhone is a horrible phone and an average PMP.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
This plus Google voice would make a decent home phone if it has the necessary mic and speaker. Still, I'd prefer something like the droid 2 at 249 with the 1 year contract.

G

battery life of the Archos 43 seems good: 36 hours audio or 10 hours video.
I wonder the screen resolution and the amount of RAM however. I would bet 848x480 however. It would be fine for a 4.3" device, but the Archos 70 would need a higher resolution to be useful.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
[citation][nom]bobbbb[/nom]battery life of the Archos 43 seems good: 36 hours audio or 10 hours video.I wonder the screen resolution and the amount of RAM however. I would bet 848x480 however. It would be fine for a 4.3" device, but the Archos 70 would need a higher resolution to be useful.[/citation]
Looking at their site reso for 43 is " 480x854 pixels (FWVGA), 4.3'' TFT LCD" however looking at spec of 70 it only has a 800x480 reso..

hamthony

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I was ready to place my order for the 70 but w7f???? Why the He LL did they take the HD video camera and HD camera out and replace it with a web cam? I'm stuck between the 43 and 70 neither take care of my need completley but are very cool. They almost hit it out with these (especially for the price) but for me it's a warning track shot.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Geesh. Everyone's coming out with tablets as if they're going to go out of style real soon...well, they probably will. If these actually get good enough (yes, yes, to play Crysis LOL), we won't even NEED Desktops anymore. Just docking stations, wireless ones built into monitors.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
This exactly the kind of prices we need to see in the tablet industry. A $500 iPad with a severely stripped down OS is a joke. $300 is competitive.

dimitri

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
When are we going to see those hybrid e-paper\lcd panels in action? If I'm ever to buy a tablet it's going to be for e-reading (mostly), so I'm really curious to see them in action.

I feel my saliva glands starting up...not so much for these, but for where the industry is likely to be in only another year or two; likely a 2nd-generation Moorestown device may be able to replace a PC for most things, even some gaming.
Question: Most of these have a USB port, so can one use a USB keyboard with them? Rodent? Game controller?

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I am starting to get really excited for an android tablet. Though, I will be holding out for one with more impressive specs than my Incredible. Like... at least 2x as impressive. See no point in the incredible AND one of these babies when specs are so similar. Will also be waiting for a better screen resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.