Are there any DDR MBs for slot 1 ?

G

I was thinking of upgrading my home PC and after doing a little web-surfing, I saw some references to the 'VIA Apollo Pro 266' chipset on Viatech.com that said it supported PIII processors. (I have a PIII 866 coppermine slot-1) however, every Motherboard I have seen with this chipset seems to only support the "Socket" type processors. My questions are: 1> Does this chipset not support slot-1 processors ? 2> If the answer to the 1st question is 'yes it does' then where can I find a MB that supports it ? but if the answer is 'no it does not' then, 3> Is there ANY chipset that supports DDR memory PLUS slot-1 Processors ? (and if so, what is the best one ?)
Thank you in advance for any help

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Well, basically the answer to the first question is no, so that rules out all of the other ones.

There aren't any Slot 1 motherboards that support DDR-SDRAM. The VIA Apollo Pro 266 only supports Socket 370, as you stated.

Fortunately, though, it's not really that big of a deal, because the Pentium III wouldn't really make much use of DDR-SDRAM anyway. (Which makes me question why VIA even bothered coming out with the Apollo Pro 266 for the Pentium III).

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

G

Oh, and by the way, if there is no such board (DDR plus slot-1 support) then what is the best MB to get for a Gaming PC ? (I'm happy with my slot-1 Processor but would like to get something a little faster in the memory dept.) I currently am using an Asus P3V4X w/512 megs PC-133
Thanks

Renegade87

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Try to find an Abit SH6. These bds. are awesome. The best slot 1 bd. available !! Intel 815E chipset, 6 PCI slots, AGP4X. Very stable and lots of overclocking options thru the BIOS. I have one and am extremely happy with it.
These bds. are tough to find though. Best of luck.

"This was no boating accident"

G

I don't think you'll get much better memory performance if you stick with a Slot 1 PIII

You don't say which mobo you already have. Assuming you're using a clocked BX chipset or Via 133A, then the i815 chipset will help you a fair bit. It's a very nice piece of kit, but you won't get the kind of difference you're after unless you change to an Athlon with DDR support, a P3 Tualatin with DDR support (think this is what the new Via chips are designed for) or maybe a P4 if you own an oil company.

Oh, and I was happy with the P3 750 CuMine I had, until I saw an Athlon 1.1 running GP3 ;-)

C

G

i know its tempting to upgrade, but the p3v4x is an excellent board. ddr memory, even under the best of circumstances only demonstrates a 10% increase in performance with athlon 1.33's. as the other poster stated, the PIII wont really utilize the added clock cycles anyway. If you are going to upgrade, wait a few more months.....especially sine PIII 866 is still plenty fast. to buy a new motherboard simply because it runs the intel 815 chip over your own via would be foolish, unless you are having trouble with thte p3v4x. myself....im thinking of upgrading (have a PIII 800 slot 1 and p3v4x) when the new pentium 4's come out that support ddr ram. i have three system running via chips now, but want to go back to intel for my next.

ignore everything i say