Question about buying a new pc.

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Computers
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2011 12:12:06 PM

So.. I wanted to buy a new computer, because my old one sucks, and I wanted to ask if a computer with stats like these is good.
AMD Athlon II X4 640 3,0GHz with ECS A780LM-M(7.0) s.AM3
1GB Club3D HD5570 PCI-Exp video card
2 x DDR3 2GB 1333MHz CL9 Apacer ram
1TB Hitachi SATAII 7200 32MB hard drive

And I think I will use windows xp or windows 7...which one I should use? Oh.. and this computer will cost me 570 dollars.

Can I run the newest games on this computer?

More about : question buying

June 24, 2011 1:09:19 PM

Your computer will run current games. However how well they'll play is a different matter completely. It won't run all of them very well at all to be honest.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

You could consider this:

Lunyone's "Lower Budget" Gaming Build.

1. Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
AMD Athlon 2 x3 450 Rana 3.2GHz

2. Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Biostar A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

3. RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBXL

4. Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAPPHIRE 100338L Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

5 & 6. Hard Drive and PSU combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

7. Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

8. DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

According to lunyone (find his original post here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/312823-13-bestconfi...) this should end up costing about $457 (USD). I don't take any credit for finding this rig, as it was completely his work which I'm showing you.

Better GPU than the one you chose - will run games faster with higher settings.

Highly recommended case, with good cooling options.

The CPU looks to me to be slightly worse than what you chose. However you're making a big saving, so you could add into this rig a better CPU and still stay roughly around the same price as the system you posted, but this computer would run better.

Also, the HDD is smaller than the 1TB HDD you picked out. So if you're worried about that, you may want to consider looking for a different PSU+HDD combo, or different PSU and HDDs. Antec, Corsair and Silverstone are the best PSUs, so those are the one's you should look for, as they're the most reliable (in general.) Either way, you can use this build as a template and add/change anything you want using this as a starting point.

Edit: ohh and this GPU comes with a free coupon for Dirt 2.

XP will perform better, and you'll be able to play older games. However it won't look as good as if you used Windows7, and some games coming out now don't support XP. Windows 7 will give you better visuals (it can run DirectX11, which XP can't), more "modern" features, and will definitely run all upcoming games (for at least 2 years I'd say), but will be more demanding on your system than XP.

It's up to you to make an informed decision.

Personally, I suggest Win7. Just make sure that if you plan on upgrading this rig, that you get a 64-bit version of Windows. A 32-bit can't handle more than 4GB of RAM, meaning that if you ever went to upgrade your RAM, your system wouldn't be able to use it.

Hope that helps a little :) 

-Nih
June 24, 2011 3:29:24 PM

Adding on to the rig that Nihilis posted, honestly for budget systems the suggestions you made are ideal, and sticking with a 3 core is the best. This is because you can attempt to unlock the fourth core using the motherboard. With a little bit of luck, you could unlock it and earn yourself a cheaper, yet even more powerful 4 core. That rig looks pretty good, that is referring to the one that Nihilis posted. The rig that you, plehis, posted is ok, but for your money you could tweak a little bit and get a better system. I wish you the best, I just purchased and built a computer with a budget of 650 and got my dream system. Good luck!
June 24, 2011 4:01:13 PM

Yeah.. thanks.. that helps a lot.. but I cant order things from there.. I don't live in USA.
June 24, 2011 4:04:04 PM

Do you have a local store that provides computer parts? Try hunting around for components with a notebook and write down what parts are available. Then come back here and maybe you'll be able to find cheaper components at the local stores than online. I found that for my components, alot of them could be bought locally cheaper.
June 24, 2011 4:06:30 PM

So.. personal question for you now.. do you have a MSN or something?... i would ask some things now..
June 24, 2011 4:56:13 PM

So i put together this one... I have never done it before so no hate.. just help :) 

Processor:AMD Athlon II X2 250 AM3 Box 55,00 €

Motherboard:ECS A750GM-M v7.0 s.AM3 39,78 €

Ram: DDR3 4GB 1333MHz Apacer 39,00 €

Graphics card: 2GB Club3D HD5570 PCI-E 69,95 €

Hard Drive:500GB WD SA2 5400/7200 32MB GP 37,00 €

Power supply:p SU 550W Chieftec CTG-550-80P 55,60 €

Case:MD Akasa Zen-Black ATX 53,41 €

Dvd burner:D VDRW Sony 5260S SATA 20,00 €

PS! This would cost me 570 dollars... 369 euros. And the shipping would cost 5 euros.. about 7 dollars.
June 24, 2011 5:04:58 PM

Made little mistakes

Power supply PSU 550W Chieftec CTG-550-80P 55,60 €

Dvd burner DVDRW Sony 5260S SATA 20,00 €
June 24, 2011 6:49:19 PM

What is your approximate budget? Because you are overpaying for many of these components. Your case is average, yet you could find one of better quality for maybe 25 euros. Your power supply for your current build is overkill, but having an extra powerful PSU is okay because you leave room for upgrade. Also, is your RAM 2 sticks of 2 GB or 1 stick of 4 GB? Regardless, that pricing for the RAM is good. If you change some of that around and your budget stays around ~600 dollars, you could get a really nice system with a quad core and a better graphics card for the same price. The only problem is local availability for you. What site do you use to order from? I can search on there to help you out a little bit.
June 24, 2011 7:22:37 PM

Yeah... that case is kinda expensive.. i found Chassis INTER-TECH JY X-5 Ventilation, Midi Tower, ATX, 4xUSB, Audio Line-Out, Microphone-In, PSU optional, 2x 120mm side fans, 90 degree reversible HDD cage for 4 HD for 30 euros. I dont really care if the ram is 1 4gb or 2 2gb's. But if you wanna help me search... well that is a hard one because the pages are not in english... I could help you translate :D 
June 24, 2011 7:27:55 PM

And I found a power supply for 20,00 € ...PSU 500W Tehnoware FAL500SFB. And the 4gb ram could be 2xDDR3 2GB 1333MHz CL9 Apacer. One is 19,50 €.
June 24, 2011 8:14:11 PM

What resolution is the monitor you plan to play on? The power needed from the graphics card and PSU would be different depending on this answer.
June 24, 2011 8:15:47 PM

I am using 1440x900 monitor.
June 24, 2011 9:01:50 PM

Ok. First of all, the processor you chose is good, but not great. Again, if you can find a better quad-core AMD preferably PHENOM processor that is, preferably, quad core, then your computer will be more future proof. But if that's not your worry and you're planning on upgrading it, then go ahead with this processor. Your motherboard and your processor are compatible. Now, for your RAM, you will have to use the 2 x 2GB RAM at 1333 Mhz. Your motherboard is dual channel. Also, the highest frequency that your motherboard can use is 1333 Mhz, so don't change that. If you could please link me to that website that you use to search for parts, that would help very much. I can use an online translator to use that website, but it'll be much to my convenience if I am aware of pricing that you are looking at. I want this website so that I can find a better graphics card for you for a better price. To be honest, this site that you are buying from is overcharging you for your parts. I compared the prices at an American site, Newegg, and then converted it to Euros and easily for your budget you could get a much better system. My budget was just a little bit higher than yours and I got a quad-core with alot of extra components and a really good graphics card. Just trying to entice you into doing cross-research and find good deals for your components, get your money's worth when shopping for computer components.
June 25, 2011 12:12:22 AM

Sorry, I posted newegg links because in your OP you said dollars and I instantly assumed US.

What currency are we working with, as this'll affect what you can buy for your money (for example, here in the UK, components are usually half as expensive again compared to the US)?

Can you give us a maximum budget as well...it'd help a lot in what we chose out together rather than potentially gimping you for the sake of £100 you could've actually afforded.

-Nih
June 25, 2011 7:44:33 AM

We are working here with €. And if ths helps I live in Estonia. My budget is around 380 €, but the thing is when I order things from some other country the taxes are pretty high, i have to pay.. umm... 20% and some things more, so I think it is better when I buy from my country because i get no taxes or anything. I can search for some more shops. I am using pages.. www.Ordi.ee, www.arvuti24.ee... and i can search for more, these are the best and cheapest in my opinion.
June 25, 2011 8:04:21 PM

Used to own a shop here in town. Most of the builds I did where AMD, and that was a pricing vs performace issue, most all my builds went to college students as we were a block from the Uni here.

My own builds since I had the shop have almost all been Intel's, I prefer the reliability of thier chip despite the price point diff. I've had both since the shop and have without exception always been a bit more pleased with the Intel. Month's later the sting of the wallet will be gone but the performance will be forever... or until the next build :kaola: 
June 25, 2011 8:39:43 PM

Yeah i would buy a Intel but... I am 14 and I already have to work half of my summer to get my pc together... I would be happy with AMD, because.. because my old computer (using now) has only 1.5 ghz so everything better is good.
June 25, 2011 9:55:20 PM

your PSU is too small, if you are going for a 550W, get a decent brand. Also, your graphics card is good (I have it) but im starting to see the new breed of games this year, becoming of bad FPS on this card. definitely follow nihilis and go for a 6000 series radeon card like he suggested. spend a little more now, and get through a few years without upgrading :)  its worth it.
June 26, 2011 3:44:31 AM

Agreed, I'm not sure if your putting this together on one site or not but some sellers have the ability to caculate your PS demand now, just be sure you have room to grow on this one PS is annoying to have to change later I think.
June 26, 2011 9:41:38 AM

Okay... i think I got the gear.. but.. i have questions about video cards... What should i take?
1. 1GB HD6570
2. 1GB HD5670
3. 1GB GT440
4. 2GB HD5570
June 26, 2011 9:54:39 AM

I think.. HD5670 1GB is the best choise
June 26, 2011 7:15:57 PM

So I finally put together my computer. I will buy it when i get the money :D 

processor CPU Desktop Athlon II X4 640 or AMD Desktop Phenom II X4 955 (depends how much money i will scrape together)

Motherboard ECS A750GM-M v7.0 s.AM3

Ram: Kingston 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM

Graphics card Asus EAH5670/DI/1GD3 / Radeon HD 5670 / PCI-E 2.1 / 1GB DDR3 / 128-bit / Core 775 MHz / Memo 1600 MHz / 1x D-Sub / 1x DVI-I / 1x HDMI / HDCP Support

Hard Drive Samsung HD503HI 3.5 500GB/ 5400rpm/ 16MB/ SATA II

Power supply COMPUCASE CASE PSU ATX 550W PFC 12CM/ALTIS-A550DM/R

Case Chassis INTER-TECH JY X-5 Ventilation, Midi Tower, ATX, 4xUSB, Audio Line-Out, Microphone-In, PSU optional, 2x 120mm side fans, 90 degree reversible HDD cage for 4 HDD, Black/Blue

Dvd burner (Undecided... that is the last thing i will buy... or first. I will buy that from a shop not order.

It will all cost 365 Euros which is quite much for me but I will try to get it.

Question. Does it matter if I buy Asus video card or Giga-Byte's? Do they have difference?
June 26, 2011 11:10:09 PM

I wish I could persuade you to get a card that'll last you longer, but I understand totally that money is a real problem for someone your age (I was 14 when I bought my first "gaming PC") but if you can wait and get more money together to buy something better, DO IT! :) 

Like I said, your RAM is still not high enough. You'll be gimping your build, but if you're happy with reduced performance, then that's fine :) 

Your hard drive is 5400rpm, so is a slower drive than the average gaming HDD. it means loading screens will be slow, and your OS will also be slower at performing basic tasks.

Your PSU is from a brand that's not so trustworthy as say, Corsair or Antec. If it blows, it'll (or it could) damage everything connected to it, which'll cost you a lot. All I can say is that I personally see this as a risk, though others may not agree.

Anyway, no matter what you choose, I hope you are happy with your new PC :) 
-Nih
June 27, 2011 12:15:58 AM

Well...I made a PC that was 4 core Phenom II for fun and the specs are:

BIOSTAR A870 $65
ATI Radeon HD 5750 $80
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS HDD 320GB $44
AMD Phenom II x4 920 $90
APEX PC-389-C case $20
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D $45
optical drives $40
Flash card reader $13
Team Elite TED34096M1066C7DC 4gb RAM $33
Total: $430
but you need to build it yourself
June 27, 2011 2:21:56 AM

Nihilis: Actually, I did some research on his processor, and actually processors that are on the market today, including my AMD Phenom II X4 955, and in technicality, they cannot utilize the full 1600 Mhz speed of the RAM. So I think he is fine at 1333 Mhz. I do agree with you on the 5400 RPM limitation. I noticed the movement from 5400 to 7200 RPM made everything snappier. But for a budget at mid-low, this HDD is fine. Power supply.. well yes, but no. He can't buy from Corsair, or else he'll be spending more on the PSU than on his CPU or GPU. But I agree that reliability is important. So it's really a matter of personal opinion, preference, and feeling of luck. To be honest, if you're lucky, you'll spend less on the PSU and you'll be fine, or you'll blow your system. Not trying to scare you, but you're not going to get the tried and true reliability of a Corsair PSU from any PSU other than the Corsair PSU. That being said, do what you believe is best. Make sure you enjoy choosing the components and building the computer, because that's the most fun part :) 
June 27, 2011 6:12:12 AM

grizzlywan said:
Nihilis: Actually, I did some research on his processor, and actually processors that are on the market today, including my AMD Phenom II X4 955, and in technicality, they cannot utilize the full 1600 Mhz speed of the RAM. So I think he is fine at 1333 Mhz. I do agree with you on the 5400 RPM limitation. I noticed the movement from 5400 to 7200 RPM made everything snappier. But for a budget at mid-low, this HDD is fine. Power supply.. well yes, but no. He can't buy from Corsair, or else he'll be spending more on the PSU than on his CPU or GPU. But I agree that reliability is important. So it's really a matter of personal opinion, preference, and feeling of luck. To be honest, if you're lucky, you'll spend less on the PSU and you'll be fine, or you'll blow your system. Not trying to scare you, but you're not going to get the tried and true reliability of a Corsair PSU from any PSU other than the Corsair PSU. That being said, do what you believe is best. Make sure you enjoy choosing the components and building the computer, because that's the most fun part :) 

I'm not worried about the memory speed, I'm worried that he's only getting 2GB when he should be getting 4GB really.

As for the PSU, it's not just the brand, it's also the rails (which aren't very high powered) and the fact that I believe it's not modular so he'll have to spend MORE if he ever wants to upgrade.

As for the rest, you're right, but you can't get his hopes up for a gaming PC with the stuff he's chosen. It'll be a budget PC that can play some games :)  I'm just being honest and realistic. Frankly the better the stuff he gets now, the more enjoyment and life he'll get out of his PC, and the less he'd have to spend if he ever upgraded.

-Nih
June 27, 2011 9:41:31 AM

Oh yeah.. I am sorry. I get 2x 2gb ram :D ... maybe that is better! And the Hard drive... that depends on how much money I will get, maybe i will buy 7200 rpm one :) 
June 27, 2011 9:48:06 AM

And... about the power supply and gpu... It all depends how much money I will earn and If my dad supports me. Who knows, maybe I will get some better gpu and psu, It is all about luck and hard work.
June 27, 2011 10:53:03 PM

Well the most important thing with your computer (aside from it actually working) is that you're happy with it, so I hope you get what you want, and what you get makes you happy :) 

-Nih
!