A7V133 NO FLOPPY-HELP

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Floppy Disk
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2001 7:07:24 AM

A7V133 Rev 1.05 no boot, no dos prompt. Initial installation went smoothly. However I started to lose .dll files after about two weeks of light use and finally the PC could not load the dynamic links library which ended the use of this PC. I reformatted the new Hard disk and attempted to reboot for reinstallation of win98 OS. After the post up there were a series of error statements referring to lots of missing or corrupt drivers I don’t know how many pages scrolled by and finally ended with a statement referring to a corrupt COMMAND.COM file with a A: > prompt. However no commands or input would be accepted. Just an error statement referring to a bad command. After leaving the PC running for three days and intermittently working through the win 98-setup inst. I shut the machine off and came back to it about 4 days later. It posted up ok but when detecting hardware it said “floppy disks fails 40” and ends with a statement “INVALID SYSTEM DISK” “REPLACE THE DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY” Hitting any key just repeats this message. Also in the post up device and IRQ assignments the floppy disk controller is missing. I have the AFLASH utility and the original rev1003A bios on a floppy but the machine will not accept any input from the floppy or CD-ROM. I have made every change in the bios that I could think of + boot sequence plus taking out the battery. Same error message, It just doesn’t have the floppy drivers and no apparent way to reinstall anything. Can anyone help me out?

More about : a7v133 floppy

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2001 8:48:55 AM

Hi, I got Soltek mainboard and I got almost the same problem, the thing is I haven't been able to get pass this fault ever (new computer).. What bios settings have you made? Do you have any tips? Please read my post, maybe we can find a solution for both.

/Marcus
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2001 8:02:52 AM

Sorry for the delayed response, have to go down the hill to my neighbors to use his pc. then re input my users etc on his pc. I finally found your post and looks as if you have resolved your problem, great. Mine's still stuck i tried changing out the floppy with a known good one but the problem is still there. seems as if the error message itself is stuck somewhere in memory and the actual unit is irrelevant to the problem,I'm going to try borrowing a Hdd with an OS installed i am not going to hold out much hope for this move. but i have to do something can't just sit still. I read a post where someone recommended shorting out a terminal near the battery.hum maybe. don't know what happens if i screw up? Could it be worse than now. dead is dead i guess.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2001 3:33:29 PM

sounds to me like your boot disk is corrupt or you are using a version of dos (on the boot disk) that is outdated. If you have completely repartitioned and reformatted your HDD and are attempting to load DOS and are getting these errors it is either your boot disk is coorupted, your memory module(s) are bad or (less likely) your CPU or motherboard. my money is on a bad boot disk.....

ignore everything i say
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2001 3:38:34 PM

the only other thing i can think of is that you have set the 'legacy floppy' in the bios to something other than 1.44 3.5 in. if you have it set to another setting, these errors would occur. good luck.........

ignore everything i say
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2001 6:03:22 PM

 Thanks for your input.
 Power up, get post up beep, everything appears normal and I can enter Bios if I choose. Runs through post and at the point that it would normally start loading win98 the following message is displayed:
INVALID SYSTEM DISK
REPLACE THE DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY-
If I touch anything the message is repeated.
 This message appears with any bios setting, that is available through the menu and I believe that I have tried all combinations.
 This message appears with or without any disks in either the floppy or CD-ROM.
 This message appears even when I detach the HDD, Floppy, and The CD-ROM cable from the motherboard.
 I am one lost soul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2001 6:27:10 PM

im sure you're aware of whta that message means......but i'll say it anyway for clarity: no system disk means it cant read your hard disk. this is either becuase it has not been formated or because your EIDE controller is bad or your calbe connecting the EIDE controller to the HDD is bad. One important question: during POST, does it list your hard drive in the 'primary master...' section or not? if it lists your hard drive, we know it is being read by the pc and therefore the controller and cable is OK. if it does not list it, that is your problem.......if it lists it, then you probably should make a new boot disk and start fresh by deleting all partitions, reformating and reinstalling windows. let us know how that goes.....

ignore everything i say
June 3, 2001 7:48:18 PM

<b>Power up, get post up beep, everything appears normal and I can enter Bios if I choose. Runs through post and at the point that it would normally start loading win98 the following message is displayed:
INVALID SYSTEM DISK
REPLACE THE DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY-</b>

I had a <b><font color=red>exactly same</b></font color=red> problem with my A7V133 when I swapped my old A7V to it. It appeared that there was a loose connection between IDE onboard connector and data cable conn. The reason I said that because it detected my <b><font color=blue>Quantum Fireball</b></font color=blue> as <b><font color=red>Quantu</font color=red><font color=blue>E</b></font color=blue>. Push the data conn a little further to IDE conn solved the problem (When it regconized the correct name <b><font color=blue>'Quantum Fireball'</b></font color=blue>).
If not, try to replace with a new ATA100 data cable.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2001 10:33:51 PM

Thank you for the help.
It should not be able to read the HDD because i partitioned and formatted prior to the start of this problem. It may have been reading some info on the first restart because of the pages of error messages pertaining to lost drivers and bad command.com file
during the post it lists the correct HDD and lists it as the primary master.
iwould like to repartition, reformat and make another boot disk but i don't know how.
I have a lot of disks that previously were tested and worked incl win 98 cd plus the boot up floppy that came with it; a boot disk that i made during the initial installation and a "WinMag.com everything disk" that contains every file that win 98 may need for installation and driver for tne cd all except the aflash bios 1003a have been previously tested.
tonight after finishing some chores w/ the grandkids I'm going to completely disassemble and re assemble. what do you think about shorting out the cmos terminals and what exactly does this do?? seems as if the error condition is stuck in memory somewhere..I got almost two sets of parts for this thing now including a new 80 conductor cable. i' try 'em all again....thanks agan
and thanks to Hhha4113 also
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2001 10:41:21 PM

you think that this could be caused from a bad format? the format showed complete but upon restart Pages after page of lost and corrupt files were listed, however i could not get the pc to accept any command.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2001 10:43:28 PM

floppy setting is correct. thanks
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2001 1:11:08 AM

my instinct tells me this is caused by a bad format and/or a bad boot disk. the list of corrupt files you mention are DOS files - the ones on the boot disk that the pc needs to access your hdd. I know this is frustrating, but if you can search the web (at a friends or work, maybe), look for articles on 'how to reformat'....it's fairly simple, but your first couple of times can be nerve racking to say the least. you need to be able to follow detailed instructions. also,ask someone who is running win 98 to make you a new boot disk. you do this by going to the control panel, click on the add/remove programs icon, then click 'startup disk'. armed with a fresh startup and instructions on how to reformat, you'll be on your way to a clean and (i feel confident) install of windows.

ignore everything i say
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2001 1:15:00 AM

try this before you take everything apart. if this doesnt work, you can always rip your machine apart again later. and i really dont think shorting out your BIOS is going to do much (except potentially damage your board). if you want to set the BIOS to default, there should be an option to do that in the BIOS (thats the same thjing as 'shorting' it out).

ignore everything i say
June 4, 2001 8:19:30 AM

Losing files is *EXACTLY* what happened to me when I was building my brother's A7V. His computer worked beatifully for 2/3 days...then crash. I'd reformat and start over...3 days later....CRASH. Pissed me off. Apparently his system is running great now. It turned out that the latest BIOS revision that came later (and IDE controller drivers..like PROMISE) fixed the data loss problem.

Because neither your CD-ROM or floppy work, sounds like you have a defective mobo maybe. Can't you exchange it (before its too late). At least that would throw out one more possibility. Also make sure your cable to your floppy is correct. I inserted mine backwards once and fried the floppy drive...I didn't think it COULD go in backwards because of the notch-keys.

Good luck and keep me posted. If you like, I'll try to get the BIOS and driver versions that my brother used for his A7V...you might want to post your system hardware.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.
June 4, 2001 6:15:20 PM

I had the same "not a system disk..." error (there was no disk in the drive too). Although it was happening after it checked the floppy and my floppy was working cuz I still could boot from a boot disk. It turned out that the boot sector was corrupt, reinstalling any os should fix it.

P.S. I also have an A7v133 mobo

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2001 7:51:29 AM

Whew! Finally back in business and none too soon, I was reduced to communicating in three word sentences and grunts.
Three problems
First: I replaced the 80-conductor cable to the HDD and got back the DOS prompt, but still could not install the system files from the floppy.
Second: I replaced the floppy cable and realized that the cable was installed backwards on the TEAC floppy drive. I had noticed in the past weeks that the green light stayed on all the time, not just when it was in use. Duh!
Third: I still could not install the OS however I could format the C: partition and make it bootable. Now I’m back in business.
Conclusion: something went badly wrong during the previous failed format and I don’t know what happened to the HDD cable, I could have damaged it by incorrect handling, electrostatic discharge, voltage spike., who knows? The floppy thing bothers me a lot because I don’t remember changing it around and had no reason to. It had to have been initially installed correctly because the original build with all new hardware went well.??
I have reinstalled Win98SE OS, updated the via 4 in 1 drivers to ver4.31 and installed the promise chip upgrade. I sure hope that this fixes the problem with dropping files.
Many thanks to everyone (and thanks Antivirus for not letting me play around with that screwdriver thing in the BIOS)

Did you know that you can increase your dial up modem speed by as much as 10kbs if you have a noisy phone line, and who doesn’t?, by properly grounding the phone line such as routing it through an electrical surge protector? Worked for me.
Have a nice day

I’m going to repeat this for the benefit of those who may have left an email thread.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2001 7:54:41 AM

Whew! Finally back in business and none too soon, I was reduced to communicating in three word sentences and grunts.
Three problems
First: I replaced the 80-conductor cable to the HDD and got back the DOS prompt, but still could not install the system files from the floppy.
Second: I replaced the floppy cable and realized that the cable was installed backwards on the TEAC floppy drive. I had noticed in the past weeks that the green light stayed on all the time, not just when it was in use. Duh!
Third: I still could not install the OS however I could format the C: partition and make it bootable. Now I’m back in business.
Conclusion: something went badly wrong during the previous failed format and I don’t know what happened to the HDD cable, I could have damaged it by incorrect handling, electrostatic discharge, voltage spike., who knows? The floppy thing bothers me a lot because I don’t remember changing it around and had no reason to. It had to have been initially installed correctly because the original build with all new hardware went well.??
I have reinstalled Win98SE OS, updated the via 4 in 1 drivers to ver4.31 and installed the promise chip upgrade. I sure hope that this fixes the problem with dropping files.
Many thanks to everyone (and thanks Antivirus for not letting me play around with that screwdriver thing in the BIOS)

Did you know that you can increase your dial up modem speed by as much as 10kbs if you have a noisy phone line, and who doesn’t?, by properly grounding the phone line such as routing it through an electrical surge protector? Worked for me.
Have a nice day
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2001 8:08:37 AM

back in business
Three problems

Have a nice day Hope your PC is operating ok now also
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2001 12:23:49 PM

fantastic! nice going......that damn floppy cable! that connector should have a key so it can only be connected the right way. i dont know how many times that pin1 to pin1 problem has plagued me and my friends.

ignore everything i say
June 8, 2001 1:47:19 PM

Glad that your up & running, but your set up isn't anything like I'm running, & I've just finished up building my 3rd computer. Rock stable & screaming. The thing with these boards is you don't run them like you think they should be run. I have my CD ROM as the Primary Master & my burner as the Primary Slave. The HDD goes in the blue ATA100 conector on the MOBO. My HDD shows nowhere on post. You see, the Promise controler that is on the board to run the HDD (amoung other things) is Plug & Play. If the HDD is picked up as the Primary Master on post, then the Promise controler isn't even on yet on the board, because it is turned on in post to Plug & play. You won't have ATA100 transfers that way & you will start losing files. After post, (on the next screen) that's where the Promise controler picks up the HDD & you'll see there that UDMA5 is showing behind the HDD post there. That's the only time that you'll get ATA100 transfers to the HDD. I know that it's not how I thought when I built my first machine. On all my Intel machines they always posted with the HDD as the Primary Master. These are different. I spent 3 weeks of aggravation to figure just that fact out with many posts & searching of Forums to get it through my head, that was the way to go with AMD & ASUS. That machine has been up for 6 months with out any instability what so ever. These latest machines I've built have the 266 FSB & they go the same way. I ended up finding a Link at amdzone.com under Beginners. I can't post a link for some reason. I'll have to come back & edit this post to insert it I guess.

I hope that this doesn't confuse you & does help. I'm afraid that your problem will return if the set up isn't changed, but that's all I know about it.

Skinny

Here's the link:
http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=433

How do you eat a elephant? One bit at a time!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rcpilot on 06/08/01 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2001 3:22:39 AM

Been out of town for a few days and am now playing catch-up.
This is great info and may have been the beginning of my problem as at one point I did switch the HDD from IDE to ATA100 which may have lost the first file then began the cascading effect that could have continued even after switching back to the IDE mode. After answering your post, I’m going to run through the ATA100 setup a few times to see what happens and look for the after post screen. I can’t explain just what happened during the bad format but I have confidence that I can format and reinstall win98 if things go wrong and it becomes necessary to do so,
This explains a lot of mysteries. Thanks a million.

P.S. thanks for the link also
June 19, 2001 11:11:17 AM

Glad that I could help. There is a lot of misunderstanding out there about how to set up these machines, but it is really easy as well.

As far as Formatting & reloading Windows 98, don't worry about it. I've done it so many times that I could do it in my sleep I believe. I don't know how much you've done with computer building, but I always partation my HDD's. C drive 5 gig & active, Windows lives here. D drive, all the rest of the HDD. That way you can format C: & reinstall Windows without loosing the rest of your programs & files. Just a hint.

I also have a recipe modifications typed up for e-mail that I do along with the link I sent you, if your interested as well.

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!
!