Mainboard problem... HELP!

G

I've just finishid builing my own pc. (Soltek SL75drv, Athlon 1200, 256ddr, 40 gb IBM, Inno3d Geforce 2GTS, 52X Sony cd-rom, floppy etc). The computer boots ok and find every item. The problem is after the "Verifying DMI Pool data..... Update succes". The message
"Boot from ATAPI-CDROM:"
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
I have inserted win98 start diskette, win98 cdrom, the cdrom delivered with the mainboard but everytime I press enter the: "Boot from ATAPI-CDROM:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER."
message appears. I really need help here, I have checked all cables, changed settings in BIOS, changed hardware (floppy,cables,cdrom). What boot disk does it really want? I just need to get to the prompt so I can install win98 or win2k.

Help is appriciated! =)

G

i dont know if you've done this yet, but take the cd-rom out of the drive when booting the machine. put your win 98 start up disk in the floppy drive and boot. this error (obviously) means that the computer is not reading any operating system. this means that either it cannot read you cd-rom upon boot, or your floppy start-up is no good. if you have no cd in the rom drive and your start-up disk is in the floppy and you still get this error then you have a floppy problem. make a new start up disk and try again....

ignore everything i say

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Is your floppy cable in correctly, try turning over . Can't have CD-ROM without boot up disk. Can't have HD without installed OS

G

LOL, after hours of searching in BIOS, changing cables etc. I tried to make a new bootfloppy, guess what IT WORKS =)
thanks for the help anyway peoples.

G

yeah, sounded like a bad boot disk. happened to me once. great that it worked out.....

ignore everything i say

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Double check your floppy drive connections then check your BIOS for the boot device order. Should be floppy disk first, CD-ROM second, HDD-0 third.

Update:

Nevermind, I see that you resolved the problem.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 06/02/01 11:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why, oh why, did you need a boot floppy? I never use them on my systems! Win98 CD is BOOTABLE! Of course, that would require you to set it as a boot device ahead of the HDD in BIOS!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine