KK266 R or K7 Master

G

I am building a new box for my paralyzed son, who operates his computer entirely by mouth. Want a system that's fast for voice recognition applications and multimedia content creation, but VERY stable so he doesn't crash or freeze. He can't reboot on his own.

What are the reasons why you would choose an Iwill KK266 R over an MSI K7 Master, or the other way around?

If you know of any reviews of the K7 Master, please point to them. I have plenty of reviews for the Iwill board, but not the K7 Master. Tom's Hardware publishes some Master test results in stories evaluating other boards, but I have not found a formal test review of the K7 Master itself on Tom's site. I did find one at dw3d.com

G

I don't own or ever used the K7 Master, so i can't comment on that.
However, I own the Iwill KK266 (no raid) and I have NEVER EVER had a problem with it from the first second I installed it till now.
It is also really stable for overclocking (in case you plan on doing so).

Just my 3 cents.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I hate to break the budget, but emerging applications like Voice Recognition are what the P4 was designed for. All computers have problems with voice recognition right now, training the programs takes forever and is still hit-or-miss. New programs are emerging that will make the P4 seriously outperform other processors in this area. I recommend the P4 for only a select few applications over other processors, and this is one of them.
If you really want to use an Athlon, the best performing motherboard is the K7-Master. You have to remember that faster computers work far better than slower ones in Voice Recognition, so I would recommend you get the fastest processor you can afford. As for stability, your again suffering with ANY motherboard that uses the VIA southbridge. But as long as you keep the system simple, you should be able to make it stable.
You will need a high-quality sound card and microphone. I do not recomend the Soundblaster Live because it is likely to contribute to system instability. You might want to try a Yamaha based soundcard, or the Philips Acoustic Edge. Also, you may want to keep the computer at a good distance from the microphone to prevent distortion that can make voice recognition more dificult. Plastic cases help dampen the sound, the SuperPower Landmark is one that has good ventilation. You can see it <A HREF="http://www.superpower.com/Landmark.htm" target="_new">HERE</A> and buy it <A HREF="http://www.hardwarepro.com/index.asp?CartId=1390632BQSZI1" target="_new">HERE</A>

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Dude I have a KK266 and soundblaster live card and meriad of creative components. Nothing absolutley Nothing is wrong with my system. Never had a hardware problem with the board. And like Shiznit said it worked the first time I lite it up. And to gallilaw, this is a very sound board. It's new on the market so it doesn't have many reviews yet, but I can tell you now there will be high recommendations for this board. It's not a fancy high price board that has so many features that it gets in it's own way. You won't go wrong with Iwill KK266.