Your question

The Witcher 2 performance

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Performance
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 26, 2011 12:59:15 PM

I have the witcher 2 and started playing on low/medium settings and all was well. I wasn't running fraps but I'd guess #i was at about 25-30 fps. I go to play it again and suddenly it's awful. Even on the very lowest settings and running in a 640x480 window I'm stuck on ~ 2-5 fps. I've subsequently uninstalled Nvidia 3D vision, updated to newest drivers (275.33), used nvidia inspector's witcher 2 profile with the SLI fix, did a full scan which revealed no viruses, defragged etc. and I'm still not seen any improvement. Help?

Dell XPS M1730
Vista home premium 32b
Intel Core 2duo cpu t9300 @2.50Ghz
4 GB Ram
2 X Geforce 8800M GTX (SLI)
1920 X 1200 screen res

I did a full scan which revealed no viruses, defragged etc.

More about : witcher performance

June 26, 2011 4:50:56 PM

russell229 said:
I have the witcher 2 and started playing on low/medium settings and all was well. I wasn't running fraps but I'd guess #i was at about 25-30 fps. I go to play it again and suddenly it's awful. Even on the very lowest settings and running in a 640x480 window I'm stuck on ~ 2-5 fps. I've subsequently uninstalled Nvidia 3D vision, updated to newest drivers (275.33), used nvidia inspector's witcher 2 profile with the SLI fix, did a full scan which revealed no viruses, defragged etc. and I'm still not seen any improvement. Help?

Dell XPS M1730
Vista home premium 32b
4 GB Ram
1920 X 1200 screen res

Welcome to forums! Wither 2 is not a very high system requiring game.I have a crappy PC and believe me I am playing this game on max setting.My specs:
Intel core2Duo E7200
Windows7 Ultimate
2GB RAM
and a single Ge force GT440 1GB

My FPS is all the time above than 25-30fps.Here are some steps you can take to run your game fine:
1.Goto control panel and uninstall any nvidia drivers or updates(All programs with word "nvidia").
2.Now download driver sweeper(Google it) and install it.
3.Restart your PC in safe mode and run Driversweeper.
4.Scan for Nvidia and after analyzing, press clean to clean your old driver files.(Repeat it for 2 times).
5Now boot PC in normal mod and again scan for nvidia drivers in driversweeper(just to confirm that if there are any files remaining).
5.Now install the driver again(don't install nvidia update and 3d vision because they are not necessary).
Now run the wither 2 and chech if the problem solved and if it is still not solved than download and install wither 2 latest patch 1.2 here:
http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/The-Witcher-2-Assa...
Hope that helped.Thanks for reading.
m
l
June 26, 2011 6:28:53 PM

Fuzail56 said:
Welcome to forums! Wither 2 is not a very high system requiring game.I have a crappy PC and believe me I am playing this game on max setting.My specs:
Intel core2Duo E7200
Windows7 Ultimate
2GB RAM
and a single Ge force GT440 1GB

My FPS is all the time above than 25-30fps.Here are some steps you can take to run your game fine:
1.Goto control panel and uninstall any nvidia drivers or updates(All programs with word "nvidia").
2.Now download driver sweeper(Google it) and install it.
3.Restart your PC in safe mode and run Driversweeper.
4.Scan for Nvidia and after analyzing, press clean to clean your old driver files.(Repeat it for 2 times).
5Now boot PC in normal mod and again scan for nvidia drivers in driversweeper(just to confirm that if there are any files remaining).
5.Now install the driver again(don't install nvidia update and 3d vision because they are not necessary).
Now run the wither 2 and chech if the problem solved and if it is still not solved than download and install wither 2 latest patch 1.2 here:
http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/The-Witcher-2-Assa...
Hope that helped.Thanks for reading.

What resolution are you playing at, and are you really running max settings? As far as I have seen, no one with any current machine can run it at max settings. Ubersampling kills performance at 1080p and higher at least.

Now I as far as the OP is concerned...there does seem to be an issue. It should still do better than that, but don't ever expect to play max settings.

m
l
Related resources
June 27, 2011 7:55:39 AM

bystander said:
What resolution are you playing at, and are you really running max settings? As far as I have seen, no one with any current machine can run it at max settings. Ubersampling kills performance at 1080p and higher at least.

Now I as far as the OP is concerned...there does seem to be an issue. It should still do better than that, but don't ever expect to play max settings.

Yeah you are right! I have to lower the resolution to make it smooth(1024*768) and sometimes 1280*1024.
Currently I am playing these games on max setting on my current machine:
1.GTA4(Not max but High setting)
2.Asssassin's Creed Brotherhood(max)
3.Crysis(Max setting and resolution to 1024*768).
4.Crysis2(Max)
5.Prototype(max)
5.Justcause2(High setting with GPU simulation on).
6.Need for speed hotpersuit(Max)
7.Witcher 2(max)

and many other games i have finished.
m
l
June 27, 2011 7:57:09 AM

russell229 said:

Dell XPS M1730
Vista home premium 32b
4 GB Ram
1920 X 1200 screen res

Hey Russel did that solve your problem.I am waiting for your reply.
m
l
June 27, 2011 12:43:40 PM

I call bullshit on playing Witcher 2 at max settings. The game is very new and has some of the best eye candy (probably on par with Crysis 2) out for games right now. Odds are the person playing it doesn't see some of the highest DX11 options to them, I have no idea how the game adjusts graphics options for lower systems.

You can see my system in my sig, and TW2 brings my rig to its knees with supersampling and some of the other eye candy options turned on.

The engine it is running on is also badly optimized, imo.

To the OP, you are running older GPUs, and using a 32bit OS is limiting your ram (AFAIK you can only use 3.25GB in a 32bit OS). You need Win7 64bit.
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:11:57 PM

maybe he's running it on dx9 which is why he can max it, as he claims to
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:13:10 PM

That's very likely. He's also running at 768p.
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:58:33 PM

Yeah thats right, I played it on Dx9 but on max setting.But currently i m not playing it because the game totally sucks if i compare with Assassin's creed.Combat system was bullshit.I cant climb obstacles(Like Assassin's creed).So i am not playing it anymore.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:05:33 PM

Fuzail56 said:
Yeah thats right, I played it on Dx9 but on max setting.But currently i m not playing it because the game totally sucks if i compare with Assassin's creed.Combat system was bullshit.I cant climb obstacles(Like Assassin's creed).So i am not playing it anymore.

The prologue is exceptionally tough, but gets easier after that point. I beat it on normal and am playing on hard now. the prologue is a PITA, but if you use the Quen sign (protection bubble), and are able to combo a block, combat roll behind, and attack, it gets easier.

How is Assassin 2? I got turned off by #1. It was buggy on PC and hard to keep on track in the storyline with little direction and frustrating combat/movement mechanics obviously made for a console.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:37:39 PM

AntiZig said:
maybe he's running it on dx9 which is why he can max it, as he claims to

The Witcher 2 is a DX9 game. There isn't a DX11 option as far as I know.

I tested my system in the prologue. It's possible he's right about it being easier after the prologue. Especially at his resolution.
m
l
June 27, 2011 2:41:02 PM

bystander said:
The Witcher 2 is a DX9 game. There isn't a DX11 option as far as I know.

I tested my system in the prologue. It's possible he's right about it being easier after the prologue. Especially at his resolution.

You're right, it is DX9 only (for now), but certainly ships with a full suite of eye candy effects you can enable. There is no way a GT440 on a C2D is running this maxed with all eye candy turned up, even at that resolution.
m
l
June 27, 2011 4:26:05 PM

Mozart25 said:
The prologue is exceptionally tough, but gets easier after that point. I beat it on normal and am playing on hard now. the prologue is a PITA, but if you use the Quen sign (protection bubble), and are able to combo a block, combat roll behind, and attack, it gets easier.

How is Assassin 2? I got turned off by #1. It was buggy on PC and hard to keep on track in the storyline with little direction and frustrating combat/movement mechanics obviously made for a console.

Assassin's creed 2 and brotherhood are awesome(Unlike Assassin's creed 1).I have finished both of them.The multi-player part of brotherhood is not as good as it was supposed to be but the game is still great.
m
l
!