A7V problems

G

I just bought an A7V motherboard with Thunderbird 1.3 GHz chip. It powers up, the fans start, LEDs light, but then... Nothing. I've tried stripping down to complete basics, taking out the RAM, but it doesn't even beep. My power supply is 320W. I've been struggling with this all weekend, any suggestions are welcome.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I've tried stripping down to basics, taking out the RAM
Can you tell me what you did in this situation?

First, just install the basic components. By that, your system should only have [I guess] the CPU and HSF, RAM, CD-ROM, Floppy Disk Drive, Hard Drive, and Graphics Card. Make sure everything is seated and plugged in securely. The HD should be in the Primary IDE slot, and the CD-ROM in the Secondary IDE slot. Check the floppy disk cable again. Ensure all power cables are plugged in. I have a feeling you might've done this, but do this again <b>slowly</b>...<b>take your time</b>...

If this doesn't work, clear your CMOS. There should be two places where a jumper should be labeled "CLRTC". First, unplug the computer. Then, remove the battery. Using a flathead screwdriver, connect both for 5-10 seconds, then release. Then, plug the computer back in and try again.

If this all fails, post back, including exactly what you did...alright???

Good luck!

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>I've tried stripping down to complete basics, taking out the RAM</b>
You did that and of course it couldn't start at all.
Test your board outside the case, place it on cardboard or mobo's box to insure there is no short to ground.
Put in basic components as CPU (w/ HSF), video card and RAM, and power it up to see if it can boot.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

What I was trying to do when I took out the RAM was get it to at least beep continuously, as described in the manual, but it didn't.

I've tried with all components in and out. Tried clearing the CMOS (by removing the battery, because the pins for the CLRTC are not there). Also, from recommendations I've read here, I've set the voltage to 3.30, tried a PCI video card, disconnected fans, tried both PC100 and PC133 SDRAM.

I was just browsing the ASUS board, and it was suggested there that revisions of the A7V133 earlier than 1.05 do not support 1.3 GHz chips, can anyone confirm this? I have rev. 1.04.. That might explain it, although this motherboard was recommended along with the Thunderbird 1.3.

G

I also have an A7V. As far as I know the highest clock multiplier its capable of is 12.5. Since the multiplier is now locked into the cpu your motherboard is probably not even recognizing any cpu. Hence nothing!

G

Thanks for your help below guys. The problem turned out to be a defective chip! I took it back to the store, replaced it with a new 1.3Gig Thunderbird and it booted. It came up as 1000 MHz by default, but I changed the FSB to 133 MHz and set the multiplier to 10x and it works perfectly now (my RAM is PC133).