Did VZW get a head start on the time change?

Last response: in Network Providers
October 31, 2004 6:22:26 AM

I was sitting with friends earlier and looked at my phone and noticed
it said 10:08PM. It sounded a bit early, so I looked at my watch.
Yep, VZW jumped the gun on the change back to Standard time in the
upstate SC market. I've never noticed them do this before.
October 31, 2004 11:37:40 AM

It's 3am in the north east and Verizon is still showing 4 am.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.cherconnection.com
"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> I was sitting with friends earlier and looked at my phone and noticed
> it said 10:08PM. It sounded a bit early, so I looked at my watch.
> Yep, VZW jumped the gun on the change back to Standard time in the
> upstate SC market. I've never noticed them do this before.

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 3:17:50 PM

They are properly adjusted in the NE for DST now...

"susan" <susanl@penn.com> wrote in message
news:o v1hd.7587$kM.312@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> It's 3am in the north east and Verizon is still showing 4 am.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> http://www.cherconnection.com
> http://cherconnection.proboards3.com/index.cgi
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> "The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
>> I was sitting with friends earlier and looked at my phone and noticed
>> it said 10:08PM. It sounded a bit early, so I looked at my watch.
>> Yep, VZW jumped the gun on the change back to Standard time in the
>> upstate SC market. I've never noticed them do this before.

October 31, 2004 6:12:52 PM

cyper wrote:
> They are properly adjusted in the NE for DST now...

Here in southern CA, the correct time is 07:13 and yet ... my cellphone
still shows 08:13. Life goes on!

--

-Philip
Anonymous

cyper wrote:
> They are properly adjusted in the NE for DST now...

Ah but ... I just noticed that rebooting my phone (which I typically leave
ON all the time) now has the correct time. HMMM.

--

-Philip
Anonymous

Me, too. I had to re-boot the phone to get the time change to take effect

"Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> cyper wrote:
> > They are properly adjusted in the NE for DST now...
> >

> Ah but ... I just noticed that rebooting my phone (which I typically leave
> ON all the time) now has the correct time. HMMM.
>

> --
>
> -Philip

October 31, 2004 9:48:47 PM

In article <Nn8hd.23309$Tq1.22761@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, fredjr1
@bellsouth.net says...
> Me, too. I had to re-boot the phone to get the time change to take effect
>

> "Philip" <1chip-state1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > cyper wrote:
> > > They are properly adjusted in the NE for DST now...
> > >

> > Ah but ... I just noticed that rebooting my phone (which I typically leave
> > ON all the time) now has the correct time. HMMM.
> >

> > --
> >
> > -Philip

nokia 3589i changed all by itself about 2am CST in Illinois. sweet.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:27:11 AM

>In article <Nn8hd.23309$Tq1.22761@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, fredjr1
>@bellsouth.net says...
>> Me, too. I had to re-boot the phone to get the time change to take effect

The clock in the phone is only set when the phone registers with a
cell site. If your phone is not moving and you are in your home system,
it may be hours before the phone is asked by the cell site to reregister.
Until it reregisters, the DST change won't show on it. Turning the phone
off/on forces a re-registration. Forcing it to analog and then back to
digital would also do it.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:10:35 AM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:22:26 -0500, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>I was sitting with friends earlier and looked at my phone and noticed
>it said 10:08PM. It sounded a bit early, so I looked at my watch.
>Yep, VZW jumped the gun on the change back to Standard time in the
>upstate SC market. I've never noticed them do this before.

Lucky you. They were asleep on the job in Grass Valley, CA. I set my
phone to ring an alarm at 7:30 am, and it woke me at 7:30 am OLD time
(i.e. 6:30 am new time). I changed it to wake me in another hour, and
got another hour of fitful sleep. I needed to be somewhere at 11:30
which meant I needed to get on the road by 9:15. I had a reminder
alarm set for 9:15, and it too went off an hour early. So I changed
this alarm to go off at 10:15 ... then at some point between 8:15 and
9:30 they finally updated the time, so the 10:15 alarm didn't go off
at 9:15 (which I discovered at 9:35) and I was late for my 11:30
event. ARUGH.

jc
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 10:31:24 PM

In article <vhkbo09k8mnvu6dtslgar8l6n9m85i4480@4ax.com>,
JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:22:26 -0500, The Ghost of General Lee
><ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>
>>I was sitting with friends earlier and looked at my phone and noticed
>>it said 10:08PM. It sounded a bit early, so I looked at my watch.
>>Yep, VZW jumped the gun on the change back to Standard time in the
>>upstate SC market. I've never noticed them do this before.
>
>Lucky you. They were asleep on the job in Grass Valley, CA. I set my
>phone to ring an alarm at 7:30 am, and it woke me at 7:30 am OLD time
>(i.e. 6:30 am new time). I changed it to wake me in another hour, and
>got another hour of fitful sleep. I needed to be somewhere at 11:30
>which meant I needed to get on the road by 9:15. I had a reminder
>alarm set for 9:15, and it too went off an hour early. So I changed
>this alarm to go off at 10:15 ... then at some point between 8:15 and
>9:30 they finally updated the time, so the 10:15 alarm didn't go off
>at 9:15 (which I discovered at 9:35) and I was late for my 11:30
>event. ARUGH.

The alarm uses the clock in the phone. The clock in the phone will not
reflect the DST change until it re-registers with the system, which can
be hours after the time changes. It seems that when they put applications
in the phone which depend on the phone's clock, they didn't think about
that dependency.

When DST changes, couldn't they program the system to send a registration
request to all phones? It's only two times per year.

I recall as a Unix system administrator, that it took quite a few years
for Unix vendors to get cron (the time-based task scheduler) to deal
correctly with jobs scheduled in the 1-2AM interval in the fall (which
exists twice), and the 2-3AM interval in the spring, which is skipped.
!