Sign in with
Your question

Gta iv lagging on my alienware m15x please help

Last response: in Video Games
June 27, 2011 6:17:37 AM

hello everyone im new here. i bought gta iv for my alienware m15 x laptop and its lagging terribly i have no idea why. i turned down the graphics to 298mb out of 978 and its still lagging it has nothing to do with the in game settings

i turned down the settings to lowest and it still lags terrible its completely unplayable.
i joined a private freemode online and it said disconnected because your computer is running too slow .

here are the specs of my laptop

the specs of the laptop i have are
intel core i7 720qm quad core processor
nvidia gt 240 1gig graphics
4 gigs of ram
win 7 ultimate 64 bit

i pretty much bought a gaming laptop to play gta on it ive wanted to play this game for so long on the pc .

please can someone help me it would be so appreciated

thanks
June 27, 2011 8:27:48 AM

Your specs aren't terrible, but GTA4 has been prone to lag and bugginess on the PC, so make sure the game is patched and that all your drivers are up to date. But frankly, laptop graphics processors just don't compare to the power of a proper desktop PC with a discrete GPU.
a b D Laptop
June 27, 2011 11:27:20 AM

it will be your gfx you will need to reduce the draw disatnce quite a bit. make sure your running the latest patches as they do improve performance substantially...
Related resources
June 27, 2011 12:29:56 PM

Your GPU isn't very good. Did you just buy it? can you return it?
June 27, 2011 2:03:36 PM

i bought the laptop 2nd hand i always planned on upgrading the graphics but i was sure 1 gig graphics would work i mean even when i turned all the settings down low it lagged and it said was only using 298 of 978 mb so that cant be the problem right ?

how do i patch the game?
June 27, 2011 2:07:22 PM

kamoflarj said:
i bought the laptop 2nd hand i always planned on upgrading the graphics but i was sure 1 gig graphics would work i mean even when i turned all the settings down low it lagged and it said was only using 298 of 978 mb so that cant be the problem right ?

how do i patch the game?

You can't really upgrade a laptop's GPU, it's not like a desktop.

Also note that GPUs have had 1GB of vram for a while--a GPU's vram is no indication of its performance.

It's better to actually read a GPU's reviews or look at its benchmarks performance to gauge what it can play instead of basing your decision off a number.

Is the game on Steam? If so it probably patches automatically.
June 27, 2011 7:20:55 PM

Mozart25 said:
You can't really upgrade a laptop's GPU, it's not like a desktop.

Also note that GPUs have had 1GB of vram for a while--a GPU's vram is no indication of its performance.

It's better to actually read a GPU's reviews or look at its benchmarks performance to gauge what it can play instead of basing your decision off a number.

Is the game on Steam? If so it probably patches automatically.

well with the alienware im pretty sure i can swap graphics cards and upgrade the ram and processor

the game was bought from games for windows live

i just would of thought this would work as my other pc played it fine on 1 gig graphics on a hd 5770 dual core with 4 gigs of ram. problem is i cant get that machine working at the min it just turns off after like 5 secs
June 27, 2011 7:26:33 PM

theres alot more to a GPU than ram alone... i think ive said that alot recently
June 27, 2011 7:31:40 PM

kamoflarj said:
well with the alienware im pretty sure i can swap graphics cards and upgrade the ram and processor

This is a laptop, right? Good luck.

kamoflarj said:
i just would of thought this would work as my other pc played it fine on 1 gig graphics on a hd 5770 dual core with 4 gigs of ram. problem is i cant get that machine working at the min it just turns off after like 5 secs

You are confusing a GPU with RAM with an ability to run a game without coughing. Everyone knows that laptop GPUs are crippled compared to the same model in a desktop.

Saying a GPU has 1GB of VRAM so it must be good is like saying both a knight's suit of armor and a modern-day battle-tank are made out of metal (therefore the knight's suit of armor should be just as strong as a tank).
June 27, 2011 7:38:24 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
theres alot more to a GPU than ram alone... i think ive said that alot recently

yeah i can understand that now but im pretty sure this machine ran crysis on high so surely it can run gta black ops runs fine
aswell
June 27, 2011 7:54:00 PM

Mozart25 said:
This is a laptop, right? Good luck.

You are confusing a GPU with RAM with an ability to run a game without coughing. Everyone knows that laptop GPUs are crippled compared to the same model in a desktop.

Saying a GPU has 1GB of VRAM so it must be good is like saying both a knight's suit of armor and a modern-day battle-tank are made out of metal (therefore the knight's suit of armor should be just as strong as a tank).

i just figured out what the problem was lol and it was so simple. the alienware laptops have a stealth mode button basically when turned on limits the power of the gpu and cpu to save power consumption and noise .i just loaded it up now runs so much smoother.

and about upgrading u can actully buy the parts like processors ram and graphics online easily and there pretty straight forward to install thats why i bought an alienware so i could upgrade it as i havnt really seen any other laptops u can upgrade.

i appreciate the help though.

i really want to get my tower working and play this on it i know towers are so much better for gaming.
!