Crysis and now Crysis 2 (1.9) problem with HDTV and 24 fps lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hey All,

Ok for some reason, crysis and crysis 2 post 1.9 patch when played on my HDTV (55 inch 1080p) locks at 24 fps when vsync is enabled no matter what settings the game is put on. I searched on the net to try to find a solution, and although I found a couple of forum posts they were all owners of nvidia cards. The solution for them was to create a custom resolution...I am wondering if anyone with an ATI card knows how to fix it on our side. I have looked in CCC but I dont really know what the equivalent of that in our program would be to fix this annoying issue.

If anyone has successfully figured this out please let me know, as playing in non fullscreen mode is the only viable option (I cannot stand gaming without vsync screen tearing just looks nasty).

Thanks,

Solution
Yes, I had this same problem when I bought a 32" TV as a computer monitor. The problem lies in the TV's ability to display 1920x1080@24fps for Blu-ray discs. Some games don't account for this so when you pick a resolution it just takes the first one off the supported list which turns out to be 1920x1080@24hz. There are a number of things you can do but here's how I solved it: Go into CCC(these steps are for advanced mode)->My Digital Flat Panels->HDTV Support. Down where it says "Predefined and Custom HDTV Formats" click on Add. The screen should fill up with a resolution defining frame. Click on the red box on the bottom(with the arrows pointing vertically towards each other. The resolution should read 1912x1076. Click Accept, then a...

CodeSlicer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Yes, I had this same problem when I bought a 32" TV as a computer monitor. The problem lies in the TV's ability to display 1920x1080@24fps for Blu-ray discs. Some games don't account for this so when you pick a resolution it just takes the first one off the supported list which turns out to be 1920x1080@24hz. There are a number of things you can do but here's how I solved it: Go into CCC(these steps are for advanced mode)->My Digital Flat Panels->HDTV Support. Down where it says "Predefined and Custom HDTV Formats" click on Add. The screen should fill up with a resolution defining frame. Click on the red box on the bottom(with the arrows pointing vertically towards each other. The resolution should read 1912x1076. Click Accept, then a dialog will pop up giving instructions. Click OK, then the green Apply button. Next step is to change the resolution in the games that are giving you problems.

Solution

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
It's not the tv it's only crysis. The tv is set to 1080p60p. All other games work at 60 fps with vsync or higher if vsync is off. I have found threads for nvidia users and one of a guy with a 6950 but no fix for ati. I can play windowed mode maximized and it's fine but as soon as I go fullscreen....1080p24p. I guess the game doesn't tear too badly with vsync off but omg crytek is retarded. Last game I buy from them for sure.

CodeSlicer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011

Yes I understand the problem you're having, I tried to explain why it does that when it goes to fullscreen, and Crysis isn't the only game that does this but it is probably the most popular. A lot of other games let you choose which refresh rate to use. When these games go to fullscreen at the resolution you've picked, it pulls the first mode off of the monitor(or TV)'s EDID, which at 1920x1080 is 24hz on many modern tvs. I also had to change my resolution in Crysis 2 back to 1912x1076 after patching for some reason.

The solution is as I described. By creating a custom resolution that isn't on the list you take away the possibility for the game to mistakenly choose the wrong refresh rate. And 1912x1076 is so close to 1080p that you couldn't possibly notice the difference. My TV even still reports it as 1920x1080.

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Sorry I missed your post when I replied there. That makes sense thank you now I understand why it's doing that. It's driving me crazy. I'll give that new resolution a try. Yea I noticed that I never had this problem before on crysis 2 prior to this newest Patch. So thats the same with you too? What could they have done to change that??? I have always had the problem with crysis 1 and wh tho.

CodeSlicer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Maybe it's a DX10/11 problem? Crysis 2 was in DX9 until the patch, can't think of anything else...

EDIT: Well, must not be strictly DX10/11, I just fired up Metro 2033 and it's set to 1920x1080 with no problems. Wish I could remember what games I had this problem with. Company of Heroes was one for sure, and I know there have been others but I don't want to go through launching all 95 games I've got. :)

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Oh god I hope its not a directx 11 problem....I LOVE gaming on my 55 inch, the games that do work properly its been the best experience ever for gaming. Anyways that fixed my issue, thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.