A Success Story

G

Well, I just thought I would share a success story here.

I decided to build my own system this time around, and while I was very nervous about it I must say it went well. I had one minor problem at the beginning with the power supply, but that was resolved rather quickly, and once I got power to the system everything went like clockwork. I was most nervous about mounting the CPU and power supply, but it was easy.

The system powered up and went through it's checks with no problems. Loaded the Via 4-in-1 4.31, AGP miniport 4.80 drivers, Detonator 12.00 drivers, no problems. Installed the SB Live! 5.1, NIC, router, a CD burner, the works.

The system has been running for 4 days now and is lightning fast and stable as a rock! I'm very very pleased. I tried out a USB printer and scanner, no problems with USB. Copied a 500Mb file to make sure I had no issues with the 686B I kept hearing about, and then burned a CD as well, no problems whatsoever.

Loaded up Tribes2, set it to 1024x768 32bit color, pushed all the detail settings to max and played a 4 hour marathon, no problems at all and beautiful playability and graphics whether solo or on internet play.

Mind you I don't overclock, so I can't comment on that, but I have no problems running at 133FSB as I heard some have.

Just figured I would pop a post up to say it's not all doom and gloom. I also wanted to thank everyone on these boards for their help in bearing with all my questions in selecting my components and preparing to get my system together. Without your help I would have had a lot more headaches I am sure. Thanks to Tom as well for his great reviews.

System specs below.

Wayne

--------------------

K7 Master Version 1.1
Deer DR-A300ATX PSU
1.2Ghz 266 (Retail)
2 x 128Mb Crucial PC2100
MSI Gforce2 GTS 32Mb (MS-815)
Samsung 753DF 17" Flat Scr. Monitor
SB Live! 5.1 OEM
Quantum Fireball AS 20.5 Gb ATA100
Pioneer 16X/40X DVD Drive (DVD-116)
Mitsumi CD-RW
Panasonic Floppy Drive
Linksys 10/100 Fast Ethernet Card
Linksys BEFSR41-CA Cable/DSL Router

G

Errr, rocks are not stable.

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>

G

Do you have unstable rocks?
They are as stable as they are solid :eek:)

---
Engage!

G

Congrats with your new system, you'r on your way to hardcore computing.

---
Engage!

G

Yes, rocks are indeed solid.
My computer is as stable as Diamond.
And Diamonds are <i>very</i> stable--<b>FACT!</b>

To put it in another way, my computer is as stable as Atoms with eight valence electrons. (Which are also <i>very</i> stable--<b>ANOTHER FACT!</b>)

<font color=blue>"640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981</font color=blue>