Sign in with
Your question

All my games are super choppy since windows 7 upgrade

Last response: in Video Games
June 28, 2011 7:45:29 PM

Hey everybody.

So I recently upgraded to windows 7 because I figured that I should start getting used to it since it will be required to play Battlefield 3. I would keep using XP if I could. Anyway, since I've upgraded all my games have been running horribly. Even Minecraft, which ran great on my pc when I had XP is laggy and constantly has hiccups. I also was playing Portal 2 and CS:S on maxed out settings with out a problem. Bad Company 2 was running perfectly on medium settings too. My computer isn't super high end, but I would consider it to be mid range. I even added a couple of gigs of ram the other day in hopes that it would help, but it hasn't done the slightest bit of good. I've messed with all sorts of different drivers, but nothing seems to work.

Here are my specs via dxdiag.exe:

System Model: GA-MA785GM-US2H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 5120MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5118MB RAM
Page File: 1413MB used, 8818MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GTX+
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 2796 MB
Dedicated Memory: 493 MB
Shared Memory: 2302 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SyncMaster
Monitor Id: SAM01AD
Native Mode: 1600 x 1200(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.7061 (English)

Thanks in advance
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2011 9:46:30 PM

well first off you wanna learn your hardware. you have given all the memory configs from the o.s not the actual hardware.
your memory will be configured in 1gig, 2gig or 4gig sticks and multiples of
what you have told is is the combined memory and pagefile size which tells us nothing...
luckily i know tha 98gtx+ came with 1 gig of ram. so thats a start.
everything looks fine. so im guessing its a driver issue.
open system/device manager and check your drivers are working and you have no yellow cautions or red fails.
is your boot time slow? over 45 seconds...
did you fully upgrade win7 with the latest service pack and all the updates including W.A.T.
if you dont have W.A.T. on your system certain updates wont install.
did you run the installers as administrator. and did you complete the installs by running dxupdate when offered or needed.
did you get the rite info chipset file from your motherboard manufacturer or did you let windows just update it? if the latter get it from your motherboard maker. and all the other win7 drivers it may require.

June 29, 2011 5:49:05 PM

Hey thanks for getting back to me. Firstly, I am a bit of a noob. I know most of the basics and can usually figure my pc issues out by myself, but I'm totally new to windows 7 so I'm not completely acquainted with it yet.

I checked the device manager, no cautions or fails.

I'm going to try updating to the latest service pack later today probably (my internet speed is garbage)

My boot time is less than 25 seconds

I didn't run the installs as admin so I'll try reinstalling them.

I made sure to get the correct chipset files and also made sure that they were win7 compatible.

I'll try what you've suggested and post back whether or not it does the trick. Thanks again.
Related resources
June 30, 2011 10:08:28 PM

Alright, so I tried everything you suggested. I went to the Gigabyte website and downloaded the latest 64-bit versions of all my drivers. Uninstalled my Nvidia drivers, downloaded the latest ones from the Nvidia.com then reinstalled. I installed everything as admin. Updated windows 7 to the latest service pack. I air blasted my pc out so it is practically dust free. I tried switching the RAM around, making different combinations and no luck.

My last hope is a clean install of windows 7. If that doesn't do it, then I guess I'll have to revert to XP and try to figure something else out when BF3 arrives.

Thanks for trying to help me.
a b $ Windows 7
July 1, 2011 9:00:13 AM

Had the same problem; it turned out my power profile was preventing my CPU from going to full clock speed. Make sure your power profile is set to Balanced or something higher.
July 2, 2011 6:02:39 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.

My power profile was set to balanced so I changed it to High Performance. It doesn't seem to help at all though. I started up Counter-Strike: Source and started a local server with bots. The game itself seems to be running okay, but as soon as it puts the bots in the whole game starts lagging out ridiculously. When I click my mouse as fast as I can to rapid fire a pistol, the gun doesn't keep up at all like it normally would and just fires in weird laggy bursts. It's just as bad if I go into an internet server with just a few people.

My Windows Experience Index is 5.9 if that helps at all. I've read that it's to be taken with a grain of salt though.

Thanks again.
July 2, 2011 6:04:57 PM

One other thing: it seems like my whole system is running a little bit crappy. I've been paying close attention to it and my browser appears to be laggy as well.
a b $ Windows 7
July 2, 2011 6:50:51 PM

Try checking Task manager to see if anything is eating CPU cycles.
July 2, 2011 7:28:42 PM

My CPU performance stays at 0-5% when it's dormant. While I'm playing CS with bots and in full on action, it's averaging about 28%, occasionally maxing out at 33%. So apparently it's not straining my CPU or RAM. I guess it must be drivers or some other issue with my graphics card. I looked over the card itself and nothing seems to be amiss with it. Being that it's a somewhat older card, do you think Directx 11 could be the issue? I was using dx9 when I had XP (obviously) and that's the only thing I can really think of that's different so far.
July 2, 2011 8:29:11 PM

this isnt a torrented version of windows of counter strike is it that is preventing it from updating its self.
a b $ Windows 7
July 3, 2011 2:18:51 PM

sounds like you may be getting a conflict between the mouse and gfx... i has happend b4... or the render ahead limit has been set higher than 2
make sure your gfx are set to deafault in your nvidia panel...
and that your default render ahead hasnt been changed to something lik 8 if so set it back to 2
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2011 4:10:38 PM

i don't know if this would be of any help, but did you try installing the previous drivers for your gfx card ? i used to have a problem like this, and it all changed when reverted back to my old drivers.
July 6, 2011 4:21:46 PM

So u hav 512mb system ram right?? If so, that's ur problem. Windows 7 uses more resources than xp. Even when I had xp I had 1gb of ram for gaming and that still wasn't enough. Ur vram should b ok, Recommended amt of ram for win 7 w/ gaming is 4gb. And see if u can overclock ur cpu to 3.0ghz
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2011 1:59:50 AM

no, that's the dedicated memory for his gpu.
!