Xbox 360 or upgrade PC?

G

Hi guys,
Firstly, I want to apologize if I am posting it in the wrong section, secondly, I do not want a flame thread...

so anyways,

I have been saving cash on buying an xbox 360, but now as crysis 2 dx11 patch just released and BF3 coming out on PC, I am having a hard time choosing b/w xbox and upgrading my PC.

I have a hd 4850 right now, and am now thinking to upgrade to 6850, because, most of the games supporting dx11 or dx9 making my 4850 useless...

On the xbox side, most if not all of my friends are on xbox and I really want to play with them. Plus many games that i want to play are on xbox (such as Smackdown vs RAW, Battlefield 1943 etc.)

but the PC games are cheaper than xbox games and my friends are telling me that some games that you you buy used for xbox require you to buy some key to get latest updates or maps, making the price same as new copies of those games....

I don't really care the $10/month xbox live because, I'll probably cancel netflix as i don't use it that much now.

And I also heard somewhere that the PS3 and Xbox are going to be here for 5-4 more years, is this true?

Opinions appreciated!

xbox is announced to have a new console by 2013-2014, so it would be a valid investment if you are into alot of multiplayer with friends that also have the xbox. A good gaming rig that has the capability to run DX11 titles at smooth framerates such as the new crysis DX11 patch, BF3, metro, and such will cost around 1000 bux seeing as you most likely will need a monitor and keyboard and such.

If you are wanting to upgrade, you will need 4-6g of DDR3, a quad core CPU, and most likely a 570/6970 to last you and play the latest games. If this is out of your price range to just upgrade your current cpu, and you are really wanting to play xbox with friends, go xbox. If you want to invest the time, effort and money required in having a homebuilt system (which is far more rewarding for me), then get yourself a well needed upgrade, or build one from the ground up .

G

I forgot to put my specs up,

I already have a athlon II x4 L3 @ 3.2 GHz, and 4 GB DDR3 and the only reason why im not going with something better because of a cheap psu i bought to replace a no warranty antec i bought off of ebay.

Anywho, my psu is ultra ls-600 600watt psu, with only 1 6pin pci e connector with 32 amps on 12 volt rail, so the best i can do right now is a 6850 and on nvidia side of things its GTX 550, my budget is 140 or 150.
on the xbox side of things, its 100 from gamestop + monitor adapter + crt monitor adapter = 130ish + some arcade game to get me started.

but monitor is another thing i need to buy, but it is for later, btw why would i need new a keyboard ? 0.o

most of my games run fine with no AA @ 1600x1200

and 570/6970 is WAY out of my budget

G

didnt see that, I don't think 6790 is worth an upgrade, coming in at 151 watts (just 1 more watt should not destroy my psu?)... anyways it'll be like having a 4890 with 10% more performance with dx11? worth it?

6790 is a decent mid ranged card, but as far as DX11 performance, check out some benchamrks and fps playthroughs on youtube before making your final decision - i know the you tube community arent reviewers, but they will definitely give you proof of what they run at with various nechmarks/ lets play stuffs

stephen-mc

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
i would say get what your friends have makes it alot more enjoyable.If you have the right components pc gaming can be alot better as the new bad company will have 24 players in one game will the pc has a massive 64 players in one game.

fatfatr

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
I have an xbox and a PC myself and the only things that keep me from playing on my xbox is lack of friends, xbox live costs, the prices of games, and matchmaking.