Incredible nForce Benchmark, almost impossible

G

Hello everybody!!

I've been searching all the web behind some benchmaks for nForce, and I've found one almos incredible. It says that you can copy a file of 1.44Gb from one HD to another in 70 seconds (about 20 MB/s) with nForce sample, while AMD760 do the same task in 210 seconds: Three times more!!!

Can someone explain it???

Here is the link to the benchmark: <A HREF="http://www.inqst.com/articles/nforce/0605main.htm" target="_new">http://www.inqst.com/articles/nforce/0605main.htm</A>

MiKiMoNo

Well, well, well... My notebook loves me... :cool:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
SiS north to south bridge is much faster then the nforce. 200mb faster too!!! SiS 735 will win at the end.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Ok, let say:
SiS is 200 MB/s faster... Ok

But we're <b>not</b> talking about 200MB/s!! <b><font color=red>We're talking about only 20 MB/s!!!</font color=red></b>

But what I'm saying is: How can copy a file in 70 seconds and other chipset (760) do the same in about 210 seconds???

And, without forget: It's only 20MB/s...!!! ,not 200 (so we will have to find other tasks to fill those 200 MB/s, and the other 680 MB/s... of course)

If this is true, we can say that current chipset CAN'T hold 20MB/s!?!?!?!?! wait, wait, wait... it's imposible!! or not??

The maths says: If you can transfer a file three times fasters with nForce, and its transfer speed is <b><font color=red>20 MB/s</font color=red></b>, then the original transfer speed of a AMD760 board is... ¿less than <b><font color=blue>7MB/s</font color=blue></b>?
Oh my God!! no no no... I don't believe it!!!

Please, can some one explain that????

thanxs in advance!!

<font color=red>MiKiMoNo</font color=red>
<font color=blue>...and Bill said: '¿Why don't you format your hard disk?' <font color=blue> :cool:

G

The 760 Chipset IDE interface is not very good. If you own a mobo based on 760 Chipset, and it doesn't have an other IDE interface than the standard, buy a new IDE controller or SCSI.

---
Engage!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The internal bandwidth of the SIS 735 chip between the North and South parts (I don't know how to express this differently) is 1.2gb/sec and not 1gh/sec. Meaning it is 400mb/sec faster then the NoForce chipset by nVidia. Here is a link to SIS benchmark showing what this increase bandwidth can do for you, look at the Raid bandwidth increases from this chip (hard not to say chipset):

<A HREF="http://www.sis.com.tw/presentation/735/11.jpg" target="_new">http://www.sis.com.tw/presentation/735/11.jpg</A>

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Why am I not impressed with either figure? I just copied 1.1GB from my Firewire drive to my HDD in 65s. I know Firewire is not greatly efficient and that sustained approx 17MB/s. To be honest if the 760 is slower than 20MB/s sustained I'd send it back. I just looked at the page and there has got to be something screwy with that. My KT133A will sustain higher transfer rates than the AMD760 board.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

Actually, the difference between 1.2 GB/s and 0.8 GB/s between the bridges shouldn't make all that much difference for RAID. If your RAID controller is a PCI card, either would be more than enough for the bandwidth that a 32-bit or even a 64-bit PCI bus could provide. An integrated controller could strive for more, but your typical integrated RAID is not really the top quality.

Leo

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well the SIS 735 has another unique feature not found in other chipset, multiIOL. Meaning the pci cards and everything else connected to the south bridge don't have to wait in line but can access the bus at the same time lowering latency. Plus a SCSI 160 card won't be limited by the pci bus anymore especially in a Raid setup. This chipset is available now, it is not vaporware and the first series of benchmarks are utterly good.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>