W2k + Ka266r + EQ = Nightmare?

G

Okay, I'm posting this here because I dont know what else to do.

I am running Windows2000 on an IWILL KA266-R motherboard. The primary purpose of this machine is Everquest. My problem is the built-in sound card on the Iwill KA266-R takes the same interrupt as my video card (IRQ 11). I got a SBLive value and stuck it in with the IWILL Sound card still enabled. The SBLive Value took IRQ 7 and thats cool. But I was still having the Video/Audio IRQ problem in Everquest. So I disabled the IWILL on-board audio. Immediately the SBLive Value shifted to IRQ 11 !!! NOOOO!!

Everquest is a very picky application and it flat out wont WORK right if the Video and Audio cards are on the same IRQ. I need the SBLive (or the onboard audio) to take IRQ 7 and stay put. IWILL mbs dont let you pick the IRQs you want to assign to each slot though, and even moving slots isnt helping... Help!

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Have you tried disabling ACPI in Windows 2000? This is what makes it share half of it's IRQ's.

To do this, go to Device Manager, and at the top will be a device category called computer. Under that category will be ACPI Computer. Go to properties on this and update driver. Choose Select Driver from List, then have it Show All Devices of This Type. Then from the list, choose Standard PC. Answer Yes to the question that comes up, and have it reboot. When it starts up again, it will re-recognize all of your hardware, and put it on different IRQ's for the most part.

You may also want to make sure that Plug and Play OS is disabled in your BIOS. Plus, if you have any devices that you aren't using (such as your COM and LPT ports) you may want to disable them in order to free up some IRQ's for your other devices.

Hope this helps...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

G

Don't know if you got your situation fixed or not but I think I know a way you can play EQ. You have to disable sound in EQ. You just open the EQ folder, right click on an empty area, click on NEW, choose text document and you name it nosound.txt. Of course you will have no sound while you play EQ but that is better than not playing at all!

My system kept freezing while playing EQ, always at the most inopportune time don't ya know! Get back on line, You died and lost a level, WELCOME TO LEVEL 39! OUCH!! I haven't froze up since I added that little text document to my EQ folder.

Good Luck!

Domminator kij`Muujah of the Rathe

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You could check Iwill's site and see if they list what PCI sockets share which IRQ's. Also like somebody else said you could disable any COM or Parallel ports that you are not using. This will usually free up IRQ's 3,4, and 7. If/when you find out which slots use which IRQ's you could organize your cards so that it would not be possible for them to share(depending on how many cards you have). Once you have them arranged see if the IRQ's rearrange. You might need to go into BIOS and choose the reset plug and play and DMI tables. I have 3 PCI cards and a Geforce 3. Not one of them is sharing an IRQ. Hope that helps.

Screw overclocking my comps got <font color=red>NOS</font color=red>!!!!

TRENDING THREADS