Differences between a7v133 & Ava266

eburies

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I currently own an A7V board rev 1.02 and am using 1007bios. My friend wants to purchase an A7V133 or A7A266 board. He has purchased a 1gig athlon C cpu. What are the differences between the two boards and which in your opinion is the better board?

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
I think the major difference is that the A7A266 using DDR-SDRAM and the A7V133 using SDRAM. So if you have a bunch of PC 133 SDRAM already and don't want to buy DDR, go with the A7V133. If not, go with the A7A266, although from what I've heard there are better boards out there for DDR.

That oughta void your warrenty!

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Love my A7A! Actually, both boards support SDRAM, but the A7A supports DDR as well. The real difference is that the A7V has the Via chipset, while the A7A has the ALi Magik1 chipset. I <i>think</i> according to benchmark results that the A7V is a faster board, but has (or could have) the Via problems so many others here have complained about. I went with the A7A is because, while it may be a bit slower (most reviews show <9% difference), I wasn't reading about stability or compatability issues left & right like with the Via boards. I also liked the fact that I can use my SDRAM now, and then if I choose, I can upgrade to DDR later. One other thing to consider is OC'ing. Apparently the A7V is better for overclocking than the A7A (I'm not into that, though, so it wasn't an issue for me).
Good luck!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down