Bad Performance

warsfear

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hey guys, just got a new sys and frankly I think I'm disappointed.
specs
dell fhd ips 23 inch, 2500k, evga 570 sclocked, asrock pro3-m, samsung f3, pny 2x2g 1600 cl8 (was told that intel is dumb or something, and i wasted my money on faster memory, something to do with bus speed output bottleneck).
all the drivers i presume are properly installed. (i put it together)

anyway. i play sc2 for instance, and it recommends frikin medium settings. how is this possible?! for my friend's com 2yr old com which wasn't even high end it recommends ultra. i chose extreme settings and got fps of around 100, but with frame drops to 60 (on 4v4, in my own base, didn't even check out battles).
i played some half life 2 and chose the max settings, but i can still see a big of lag here and there. this does not make any sense at all.
i also played some team fortress 2 and it didn't recommend all the settings on max i believe, only some.

so please thg, pimp my com!

halflife 2 is not demanding enough so your gfx card will overpower your cpu. throwing to many fps at it at 1s. so the cpu will tell it to hold up till it gets through what it already has.
thus your stutter.
you can limit this by turning on vsync.
if you think you have an issue run some benches and compare them to similar on here and other sites.
to me your problem is your playing games that arnt demanding enough so they will show areas where the pc is unbalanced...
if you have it run crysis or crysis warhead and benchmark it. i guarantee your minimum fps will be about 35 or more+1080p if this is the case then your pc is fine...
if you get less than 30 fps then you may want to look at the system as it may have issues.

ineedaname8

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
First of all, games do not necessarily recommend the highest settings just because you have the hardware to run it on the highest settings.

I know BC2, CSS, TF2 does not recommend the highest settings for me with my gtx 570SC. But I just set it to the max and have not had any problems.

Also in SC2 I'm pretty sure a drop to 60 fps is normal in 4v4.

You should see zero FPS lag in any source based game......ive seen a minimum of 80 fps playing tf2 with 32 people on the screen at once. And in CSS the lowest ive seen is 100 fps, and of course this is with everything maxed.