What have I done?

mattb

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
I've had my A7A Tbird system up for a couple of weeks, getting it dialed in and everything has been pretty smooth except for some driver issues for my old sound card and scanner.

This morning, I took out the loaner floppy drive I had in there and replaced it with a salvaged one, and connected an old 6 Gig hard drive as a slave so I could format it. The salvaged floppy faild POST, and I fiddled with the cables a bit, and then took it out. I booted up, formatted that hard drive, and then shut down and pulled it out. I put the loaner floppy back on and powered up, and now my system won't start. I took the floppy back out and it's still the same.

Right when I power up, the keyboard lights flash very briefly, and the hard drives spin up. I get no video, and my monitor acts like it's getting no signal. It doesn't boot up, beep, or have any keyboard lights after the initial flash. I reseated my cards, pulled the SCSI card, sound card, and wiggled my SDRAM, and pushed on the CPU. None of this helped. It's strange, because it powers up when I hit the ATX power switch, but then I get no video, and I can't power down with that switch, I have to use the rocker switch on the power supply (300 W). The LED on the mobo works, too. I ran out of time after that and had to come to work, so I won't get to try anything else until tonight.

I've worked on PCs quite a bit, and my plan tonight is to reseat everything, and remove any possible sources of problems (extra cards, etc).

Anything else specific I should look for or do? Anyone else ever have this happen?

Thanks!

Matt

"If you understood everything i said, you'd be me" --Miles Davis

G

are you sure you dont have the floppy cable upside down? only thing that jumps out at me. pin 1 must on the cable must align with pin 1 on the back of the floppy.

ignore everything i say

mattb

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Yeah, I'm sure. If you do that, you still get a POST, and then the drive will fail and the light stays on. My system seems to be somewhat dead now, which I never seen from a floppy cable being on wrong :-(.

Matt

PS Thanks for replying, though.

mattb

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
OK. It was too obvious and stupid for me to figure it out.
After pulling the network, SCSI, and sound cards, reseating the RAM and CPU, disconnecting all drives and reseating the video card, I figured it out.

While I had it powered up with no cards and very little else, I hit the reset button and heard the post-POST beep. So I reconnected everything and powered up, and everything's back to normal. The reset switch didn't feel stuck when I hit it, and I tried to get it to do it again but it would not stick. I think it's got to be it, and hopefully it was a one-time thing. I'll at least know what to look for if it happens again.

So easy yet so hard...

Matt